Halloween Forum banner

441 - 460 of 460 Posts

·
Registered
237 Posts
I used old sheets and I was very pleased with how it turned out. Plus I would think the sheets will be a little easier to use compared to the heavy burlap.

·
Registered
238 Posts
View attachment 135133

My guy from the side in the lawn. I need to work out lighting. Im happy with how this guy came out. thanks for the Totorial!
WELP My reaper I built in 2012 died. I put him on wheels to make him easier to move but the center pole wasn't strong enough. Rebuilding this year with 2 inch center pole.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I've read through this whole thread and plan on starting my build on Friday. I purchased most of the supplies while shopping for another project, all I need is the Dry-Lock and the paint. I have 2 main concerns:

1: The Base... It can get windy in my area and I want to be sure it's stable. I'm not sure the MDF base will be enough. Any other ideas?
2: Storage... I don't have a lot of indoor space to store this guy. Will the MM last if I keep the figure stored outdoors covered with a tarp or will that just retain moisture and cause problems?

With regard to storage, has anyone tried building this in sections that can be taken apart for storage and re-assembled? Thanks!

·
Registered
238 Posts
New reaper made and up. I still have the problem of him being front heavy and wanting to fall over. I wonder if some of that is the dolly I have under neath to make him move easier. If anyone has any ideas on how to make him more stable I am willing to take ideas!

keeper.jpg

·
Registered
64 Posts
For the stability issues, what about holes in the base through which you can hammer pegs into the ground? Failing that, how about large, heavy rocks attached to the base to lower the centre of gravity?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Anyone know how the burlap is placed around the torso? Is it placed over the head and shoulders like a poncho? Or, is it wrapped around the toroso like one would a bath towel?

·
Registered
5 Posts
I like this reaper. And i see in youtube some guy made a simple one with Bed Liner spray paint. (
) So idea is a combo of the two, the frame and body from this tutorial ++ using the bedliner and head ideam, which is instant waterproofing and seal. Anyone try this here? Comments, advice?

·
Typing Away
3,492 Posts
On my reaper I made I started out like the one Alan Hobbs made in video above but found out it was going to take maybe 20 plus cans of spray on bedlner. I then saw some place (maybe here) that someone used asphalt sealer and I dipped the cloth in it and let it soak up in the cloth. Asphalt sealer $30 for five gallon bucket but it will need a few days to dry and will be stiff if you let it soak up in the cloth really good. Wear rubber gloves when dipping in the sealer and old clothes you do not care about because it does not come off.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Yeah if you do not treat the cloth before spaying the cloth will suck up the paint like water. One can of spray on bedliner does not go far I found out on cloth.
Hey Stick. Thanks for the speedy reply. Another question. How how is the burlap is placed around on the torso? Is it placed over the head and shoulders like a poncho? Or, is it wrapped around the torso like one would a bath towel?

·
Typing Away
3,492 Posts
I have Two strips of burlap the first and biggest piece has a hole for the neck and is place over the frame like a poncho. the second smaller piece of burlap is drape over the head and around the neck as you see in the picture.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I made this guy last year as my first monster mud project, unfortunately this year when I pulled him out of the shed the mud had started cracking like dirt during a drought. Chunks have started coming off. Any tips on what I did wrong or extra steps I should have taken.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I made this guy last year as my first monster mud project, unfortunately this year when I pulled him out of the shed the mud had started cracking like dirt during a drought. Chunks have started coming off. Any tips on what I did wrong or extra steps I should have taken.

Just finished mine. It’s beautiful!

To your question, did u use the drylok? I intend to store mine outside in tarps.

·
Registered
5 Posts
What process did you use? I made mine with the classic Monster Mud recipe, Drylok, and paint. He's been outside for a year in Michigan weather and still looks like new.

441 - 460 of 460 Posts