Halloween Forum banner

421 - 440 of 460 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Love this thread, I wanted to try to make something for the first time this year and this inspired me to do it! Here's my attempt at the reaper. Thanks so much for the tutorial!
Apparently I dont have enough posts for images, so next one :p

·
Registered
13 Posts
Here is my first attempt at making a monster mud grim reaper. It is about 7'6" like how it turned out, had planned on having it blacked out under the hood but when I was mudding it, the hood started to sag so my daughter grabbed a skull that was laying around and we used that to hold in place. I had some extra mud and burlap so i made a cover that i can place over the skull to get the black out effect if we want that look.
Got some great ideas of this thread, thanks already planning on next years props using monster mud.

Attachments

·
Registered
3 Posts
Well we tried this for the first time came out alright we think. Added a milk jug skull material used wood, PVC pipe, chicken wire, burlap from ac Moore, oil lantern Walmart $5 and monster mud 5:1 ratio. A video is attached for more about what we did. Monster Mud Reaper https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=5tlE6h925Po

Attachments

·
Registered
237 Posts
I have a question for you experienced monster mud creators. I created my first monster mud reeper over the weekend. After the compound fully dried (I let it sit for a week), I then applied a coat of Drylock to it. I added some black exterior paint to the drylock to get the gray I was looking for. Once that dries, and since I already have it the color I want, do I really need to paint over this with more exterior paint?

I only ask because I've seen many people paint over the drylock, but is that only to achieve the color they prefer? I would think adding paint to the drylock - to get your desired color - would allow you to skip the top coat paint step, right? I guess I would understand that the top coat exterior paint would add an extra layer of protection, on top of the drylock...but I would think drylock (mixed with exterior paint) would achieve the same results. Or am I wrong here?

Also, I noticed that when I painted on the drylock, the monster mud softened a little bit. Does that harden back up after the drylock fully dries/cures?

·
Registered
2 Posts
I want to make a couple reaper/ghosts that resemble these. However I'm leery of going the whole monster mud route mainly due to weight and weather concerns. I've made props in the past and have good luck with just chicken wire, clothing and spray paint.

Is there any reason why I couldn't just create a frame out of pvc/wood/conduit, use chicken wire for the body and spray the fabric with a stiffener and a color of choice? These will be used outside and will be placed and left until the season is over. Rain wind and possible snow elements are guaranteed.

Any input appreciated

·
Registered
365 Posts
You could. But my monster mud projects have been outside the entire month of October for 5 years now and show no sign of weather decay. I also have wood and chicken wire armature with cloth over it and I can say that the monster mud projects have much better detail and shape, Either way you choose will be fine. I suggest doing both to see which one you ultimately prefer.

·
Registered
2 Posts
You could. But my monster mud projects have been outside the entire month of October for 5 years now and show no sign of weather decay. I also have wood and chicken wire armature with cloth over it and I can say that the monster mud projects have much better detail and shape, Either way you choose will be fine. I suggest doing both to see which one you ultimately prefer.
Did you coat the monster mud with any additional paint/waterproofing agent?

·
Registered
237 Posts
Anxiously awaiting chachabella's answer to Glsec507's question. I just created my first monster mud reaper, and I applied two thick coats of drylock (mixed with some black paint) as a top coat to seal it. If I can get 5 years out of mine with "no sign of weather decay", I would be extremely happy.

Even with the drylock, I'm still very nervous on how this will hold up in our rainy and cold Wisconsin October this Halloween.

·
Registered
365 Posts
On one of my tombstone I sprayed clear Flex-Seal as an experiment. And that was ...ok. The following season that tombstone however took on a decidedly greenish hue. Which isn't terrible. But it wasn't worth my bother to spray the rest of them or anything else because I didn't feel it added any real benefit.

The others are all "unprotected" and doing just fine is Missouri which rains pretty non-stop during October. Perhaps my paint to joint compound was heavier on the paint? Or the fact that I painted over the monster mud to highlight and shade and detail. But they don't really show any wear at all. When I pull them out of the garage in 2 weeks I can upload pictures to show.

·
Registered
237 Posts
On one of my tombstone I sprayed clear Flex-Seal as an experiment. And that was ...ok. The following season that tombstone however took on a decidedly greenish hue. Which isn't terrible. But it wasn't worth my bother to spray the rest of them or anything else because I didn't feel it added any real benefit.

The others are all "unprotected" and doing just fine is Missouri which rains pretty non-stop during October. Perhaps my paint to joint compound was heavier on the paint? Or the fact that I painted over the monster mud to highlight and shade and detail. But they don't really show any wear at all. When I pull them out of the garage in 2 weeks I can upload pictures to show.
Really?!?! So just the exposed hardened joint compound withstood the elements over 5 years? I suppose the top coat of paint helped protect it as well. I do have paint mixed with my compound as well. Along with paint mixed with the drylock. I feel a little better about this now.

Thanks!

·
Registered
72 Posts
I couldn't find any drylock today, but I got a spray can called waterseal, will that work for my monster mud statue. I don't think it rain here but just in case. I also need to find a lantern.

421 - 440 of 460 Posts