Halloween Forum banner

401 - 420 of 460 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hey guys, brand new member here. I have always loved halloween but have little diy skills. This is the first project I wanna try. My question though, is bout the pvc sizes. The cross and elbows only say how many but not the inches.

·
Registered
1 Posts
This is great! What are all the parts you used? I'm curious on how you built this and the dimensions for all the pieces ! :)

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hello

sorry to disturb you, but i have few questions : I'm french and i have some difficulty to find the "monster mud" texture, drywall haven't the same name here : so someone can explain me what it's exactly ? thank you very much

·
Registered
109 Posts
It's not done yet, but I've taken plenty of pictures, so I'll probably make an in-depth post at some point ... though given how quickly Halloween approaches, it may have to wait until after the day.
Due to my brother's death November, I never got around to making that in-depth post. But I have now uploaded some of my pictures, which you can view on this gallery.

If you just want to see what it ended up looking like, here's a pic of the reaper at night:

I intend to improve him, but I doubt I'll have time for a full rebuild this season due to other projects, so I may have to just do a quickie repair.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Mine is getting close to being done. Great Tutorial here and very inspiring. I mad mine a bit bigger he stands at 7 foot 6. And really wanted the shredded look. Just so ya know Burlap in BIG pieces is very hard to work with monster mud :) Very Very heavy.

Reaper 9.jpg

Reaper 12.jpg

Reaper 10.jpg

Reaper 11.jpg

·
Registered
1 Posts
So you did not use Monster Mud? You used Drylok instead?? I'm looking to make one of these, but more like a ghost than a reaper, with the fabric loose at the bottom, and was wondering a better alternative to Monster Mud

·
Registered
9 Posts
Hello! I just saw your post and wasn't sure who you directed your question to. I'll answer up though considering that I used BOTH monster mud and DryLok on my reaper. First, I built his his frame with PVC, then wrapped and shaped with chicken wire. I then shaped out the burlap and coated THICKLY with monster mud. After it dried completely, I then coated it several times with tinted drylok (the store will tint for you). I added drylok for the extra protection and added "stone" appearance. After the drylok dried completely, I then used the black spray paint and water hose technique. Drench areas of the reaper with water, and immediately spray with black spray paint. As soon as I apply the spray paint, I then immediately apply water (I used mist setting on the spray nozzle). You don't want the paint to dry before you add the water. When you add the water, the pain will run, which gives the reaper an aged look. It also helps to darken the drylok. I hope this info is helpful!

·
Registered
30 Posts
I am taking a stab at making two reapers this year. However I am going to attempt to use dyed canvas instead of monster mud as I need to be able to break these down somewhat to store them. I can redo the canvas each year of need be but will attempt to starch them to give them some rigidity.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
182 Posts
Good luck, but you'll find the monster mud gives you all the rigidity you need. No starch necessary. I made a figure using canvas and it's as rigid as you could want.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Here is a rough draft of my reaper. Dyed the canvas black but turned more grayish. Right now I have the canvas robe clipped in place. I will put some sort of adhesive to keep things a bit more together. Remember my goal is to be able to break this down after Halloween to store it so no monster mud for me. I might hit them with some ride to glow under black light.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
15 Posts
This is the reason I joined. I have two lamps that I picked up for free that will work perfectly. Now just to set them up as solar lights instead of kerosene.

401 - 420 of 460 Posts