Halloween Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Mad Monster Maker
2,674 Posts
Since monster mud is a combination of latex paint and spackling compound, my guess is that, by itself, it's probably vulnerable to damage from rainfall. That being said, if you add a coat of exterior paint or Drylok, your prop should stand up to the rain fairly well.

·
Registered
328 Posts
I mix my mud about 4 to 1 with exterior latex. After it dries, I coat it with Drylok and even with the rain and snow we get in October, it seems to hold up fine.

·
Registered
436 Posts
Monster mud by itself is not rain proof. Like everyone has pointed out you will need to paint it or seal it some how. If it left out in the rain it will get soft and will be ruined.

Reactions: theVanyr

·
The Big Kahuna of Fright
4,329 Posts
moosecat, a head's up on that Fit-It-All; it's easy to sculpt, but really tough to sand. I've never had problems with cracking during the drying process, and yeah, it dries FAST. So if you leave a blemish, it's gonna stay there...

·
Super Moderator
5,787 Posts
Forget Monster Mud using Drywall Filler! That's for wimps!

Use a cement based patching compound called Fix-It-All. Hard, durable, cheap, totally water resistant. You'll never look back...
How do you cope with the 30 minute set time? When I'm mudding it's usually a lot longer than 30 minutes at a session.

·
The Big Kahuna of Fright
4,329 Posts
Ox - Smaller batches. But, you're right, it will set up as you're working.

·
The Big Kahuna of Fright
4,329 Posts
I once did a seven foot King Tut sarcophagus and I think we used two bags. That was over an armature of chicken wire. With gold paint, man, did it look authentic!

·
Never try to eat a zombie
778 Posts
I use a masonary sealer, after I paint it. Mine have lasted in storms, snow, w/o any problems.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Wolfman - sorry, I'm a bit confused, are you using Fix-It-All straight up or are you using in a mud mix instead of joint compound?

·
Insert Witty Comment Here
4,484 Posts
I did the monster mud, drylok, exterior latex thing on my horse and it's been outside for two years..not two Halloweens....two years of being exposed to all the elements

·
The Big Kahuna of Fright
4,329 Posts
I used Fix it All straight out of the bag over an armature of small mesh chicken wire and hardware cloth. But in retrospect, burlap over the armature would really have cut down on the volume and weight. Plus, with burlap, you could increase the water content to get better penetration and slow the rapid setup time somewhat. You don't want to add too much water - you'll get shrinkage cracking.

·
Registered
393 Posts
I'm resurrecting this thread to ask another MM question...

Can you store a batch of MM and if so for how long? When I've used it, I've only made a batch to use at the time so I've never tried to store some but am curious if a large batch could be whipped up and stored.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts