Halloween Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is my first time using monster mud so I decided to just start with tombstones. They seamed easy enough. I was given some free styrofoam from my work and I decided to use that just to see if I would even be able to do it. Plus I looked around online and saw that a lot of people still used the styrofoam too. I am talking about the white bubble type foam that you get from craft stores in squares and balls. I was able to carve some basic designs in them just fine. The MM even went on fine with out problems but now that it has dried it is flacking off when I grab it.

Is there something I can add on the styrofoam before I put the mud on? or is there something I am doing wrong? I used a mix of 3 parts joint compound and 1 part acrylic paint.

·
Lord of the Cemetery
2,081 Posts
Hi Kylie.. I believe most of our USA based haunters use a couple of coats of a substance called "Drylok" to coat their stones before painting to seal the foam.
(I'm in England and it isn't available here under that name). I usually use a couple coats of a PVA glue/water mix which seems to work ok, or possibly a coat or two of flat grey primer before applying your monster mud will give it something to grip on to.
sorry I'm not able to be more helpful, but there are some great tombstone tutorials on the forum...Try checking out Terra's work for some really great tips and inspirational ideas with tombstoning.

·
The Mrs. to a MysterE
2,337 Posts
Hallow Kylie!
What Baron said is correct. Get thee to a hardware Depot and pick up some "Drylock." It comes in a paint can gallon size and is a bit pricey BUT it will seal the foam FOREVER - which is a good thing if you put a good deal of creative time into your headstones and really want them to last outside in all types of weather. You can't go wrong with Drylock - and the gritty texture of Drylock will make the headstones look real. For more headstone prep 'n build help - be sure to spend some time watching Terra's tutorial videos. Monster Mud seems to work when applying to fabric for sculpting props, but I too have not had success with it on headstones. Good luck and let us see how things turn out... BOO!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Have any of you used Mod podge for anything? I have two big bottles of that and it is like a glue type substance. Do you think that might work like Baron was saying to coat it and get it to stick. If all else fails I will go get the Drylock. I just have a budget this time so I want to make sure I try everything before I buy too much. Also because these are just kind of testers, I plan to spend more time and money once I make the more dramatic and permanent versions.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts