Halloween Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
308 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This year I decided to make a tree stump to hide my rising witch prop, but once I started work on it I realized it was a much bigger project that expected. My plan was to paper mache, but the tree has gotten large enough that it is a bit intimidating to think of several layers of paper mache on this things haha. My question is do you think it would possibly work to apply monster mud directly to the chicken wire/masking tape skeleton? I have never worked with monster mud myself and usually see it applied to burlap.

My other concern beyond it sticking: is it likely to crack on such a thin surface?

Here is a picture of the stump in progress for reference.

Thanks everyone!

IMG_2377.jpg

·
Oak Lane Cemetery
2,016 Posts
I was considering that, but how sturdy would just plastic corpsing it make it? Does it hold its shape pretty well once its done?
It would not add much strength to whatever your base is. Multiple layers will be somewhat stiff, but still flexible. It will hold it's shape pretty well as long as you heat it enough to adhere to the base, or use spray adhesive under the first layer. Probably would have to go the spray adhesive route since your base is masking tape.

·
Oak Lane Cemetery
2,016 Posts
I was considering that, but how sturdy would just plastic corpsing it make it? Does it hold its shape pretty well once its done?
It would not add much strength to whatever your base is. Multiple layers will be somewhat stiff, but still flexible. It will hold it's shape pretty well as long as you heat it enough to adhere to the base, or use spray adhesive under the first layer. Probably would have to go the spray adhesive route since your base is masking tape. Someone on here made entire trees out of chicken wire and plastic corpsing. Whoever that was needs to chime in!

·
Registered
750 Posts
Im not a huge fan of monster mud. It gets expensive, horribly messy and disintegrates and or cracks if any moisture hits it. Instead of monster mud I used a painters drop cloth with truck bed liner sprayed on it. Once this dries it not only becomes hardened but also waterproof:) This is an old stilt beast trick..I cant take credit but it works like a charm!

·
Registered
328 Posts
You can always cover it in burlap that has been saturated in exterior latex paint and then cover it in monster mud.

·
Super Moderator
5,760 Posts
As a former mud fan, I'd recommend against going right over the masking tape. I've moved on to dipping the burlap straight into paint, myself. Lighter weight, and better weather resistance.

I wouldn't give up on the mache just yet, myself. When I did a 7 foot totem pole in paper mache, I soaked paper towel rolls in the glue mixture and just rolled them on for a base layer mache. Worked great. Use good quality towels, and make sure to soak them good.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts