Halloween Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, I did my very first MonsterMudd treatment on some plywood cemetery towers. Did the 4:1 ration and blended until pancake mix.
We applied it on thick so it looked like venetian plaster. Not sure if that was right or not.

Anyhow, after a day of drying, there are alot of cracks in the monstermudd.

What did I do wrong to have it crack?
Any suggestions to help fix it as we want these to be outside for over a month for the first time in our haunting-life.

·
Registered
226 Posts
It sounds like you may have put it on too thick.

Remember, the water dries out eventually, so that material condenses as water evaporates out. By putting it too thick, it just congealed and cracked. I've found in my (albeit) limited experience using it that it's better, although more time consuming, to go with multiple thinner layers. Layer it repeatedly and it holds up better.

I learned this through trial and error!

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Okay so we did too thick.

We used a spatula to put it on. I have seen tutorials that say paint brushes or spatulas, so thought we did right.

What is the best way to put Mudd on? Make it thinner than pancake mix and paint it on like normal paint?

We have watched and read so many different tutorials that it seems easy enough but for newbie at it, not quite. Our first shock was the drywall mixture was like Mudd already. We thought it was powder like HotWireFoamFactory's foam-coat stuff.
But we are trying!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Try thinning the mix down and using a roller. There are may different types of rollers at the hardware store to chose from but they do make one for applying drywall mud, it looks almost sponge like. Keep trying different things till you get the hang of it.

·
Registered
277 Posts
I used monster mud for my witch's cauldron last year, and it originally cracked a lot, too--and I suspect for the same reason. The good news is that you can just fill the cracks with more monster mud, just a little thinner at a time!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts