Halloween Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That is really cool, are you going to put a couple door knockers in there for pounding sound?
For the second one with the actor, do they jump out of the box or how does that work?
It's supposed to be a water tank, so if anything it would be a bubbling sound... But we might just have bubbling sounds in the room.

The goal is for the actor version to have a split down the middle to form two doors to open up and let them jump out. We still have a bit of engineering to figure out for that, though.

·
Registered
3 Posts
How about gluing one of these to the inside of the window (vertically and use silcone sealant to make it waterproof)

With a hemisphere, there would be no joins to give the game away.

Cut a hole in the top, fill with water, put an aquarium bubbler at the bottom.

Anyone looking in will be looking through water and will see bubbles running upwards. ( this was how Stingray was filmed ). Could even add a fish!

Anyone looking in will be fooled into thinking the tank is full of water, until the doors open!

The centre strip would hide the join between the doors and concealed cabinet hinges will complete the illusion.

·
Registered
411 Posts
This is fantastic! I’ve never seen anything like this before but I love it! So cool!

This might be way too much work/hassle and this is just a suggestion but if the box isn’t terribly heavy, have you thought about having a motor under it on one side so it raises that side a few inches then lowers it? You could even have a soundtrack of wood slamming into something and water sounds to draw more attention to it appearing to be super heavy and full of water. That would make it seem like the dude is trying to get out and look like it could fall and crash open at any second. If you use the water dome, brilliant suggestion BTW, with water and a bubbler the water/bubbles sloshing might enhance it. Again just a suggestion because I always make everything more difficult than necessary ha ha.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the suggestions... all great ideas. The best part of creating your own props is that you can start simple and add on. We have about 5 other projects we need to complete by October, so I'm thinking I'll keep it simple this year... The sounds are probably doable tho. Thanks!

·
Registered
411 Posts
The great thing about keeping it simple initially is if you do decide to add to it later you have the bonus of people assuming they know what’s going to happen from before and you catch them off guard again ha ha.

·
Registered
14,785 Posts
Very cool looking cabinet and mask choice as well. :love:

Love the domed plastic suggestion. Wonder if there’s a US source as shipping from UK gets pricey. Anyway look forward to seeing what you complete and hopefully see a video of it in action. My only comment would be if you go with doors opening up, you’ll want to keep people far enough away from the doors so they don’t get hit by them. Speaking of simple, might want to think about no door and letting people get real close to the glass and shocking them with the actor suddenly coming alive in their face inches away.

·
Registered
14,785 Posts
Don’t know if your creature will have hands visible but if so and you want a loud banging sound to come from inside the cabinet without him hitting the cabinet, maybe create a foot device. He steps on the foot pedal and it bangs against the cabinet. Thinking along the lines of a foot pedal on a drum.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts