Halloween Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After seeing Terra's incredible work:
http://www.halloweenforum.com/halloween-props/70795-dmx-vampire-coffin-mib.html#post506521

I really had no idea about monster in a box, or having a crate lift open. Its pretty bad ass.

I really don't have the time nor creativity to create the inspirations she does. I noticed frightprops has something similar which is what I'm looking for.
FrightProps - Halloween Decorations, Halloween Props, Pneumatic Props, Animated Props, Halloween Accessories

Anyone with experience with these from them? I figure, I could maybe come up with creating a coffin (doubtful) or buying one off craigslist. However I really need the pnematic parts and such already ready to just install. I have no idea how to do it otherwise.

Any advice or information to proceed from here? I figure I'm allowed 1 big PROP a year, and this year I want this one. I'd only wanna spend like 200 tho....if that.

·
Registered
179 Posts
There are lots of ways to create a MIB - some are expensive and intricate while others are cheaper and just as effective.

I have one that uses a cam and a wiper motor. It is hooked up to a remote control that I carry around with me. When I want, I trigger the motor and the lid shakes up and down fairly violently!

I guess it all depends on the time, effort, money you want to put into it and what the end result of the effect is that you want.

·
Zombie Hunter
20,479 Posts
I do the same as willise,mine has a light and a fogger in it also.

·
Registered
1,572 Posts
Haha one prop a year, that's what i said last year. This year I built 4 more so at this rate I'll build 10 next year.

Anyway, I would really recommend Frightprops I buy all my stuff from them. You really can not go wrong with a cylinder kit which includes everything. You might want to check out monsterguts for a complete Monster in a box.

Monster Kits - Halloween Prop Building Supplies For The Home Haunter - Monster Guts - Some Assembly Required

Trust me this is a very easy prop to build. You need very little stroke on the cylinder. Mounting it to the wooden box is simple and it doesn't need any type of armature. If you want Terra's type of box then your cylinder is around 2-3 inch stroke single or double acting will work because the lid will reset the single because of the weight.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Yep, I did mine using the windshield wiper motor and a hand-made cog. As others have said, I also have a light inside and fog pumped through a hose from behind. An mp3 player has runs a nice loop with heartbeat and growls coming from it and I hacked a spotlight motion-sensor kit to trigger the wiper motor and light to go off! Scares the ToTs every time!

It was quite easy, and was my very first animated prop of any kind. After 3 years with the prop I still get tons of comments on it. Easy, and inexpensive! Good luck with yours!

·
Bringing the Dead to Life
839 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Mitb

Although I sourced a lot of my parts from different vendors, I basically used the monster crate kit from MonsterGuts.com. I also used the "Nerve Center" controller from MonsterGuts.com and it seems to work pretty well. I'm only using a single 1.5" bore, 2" stroke air cylinder for the movement. Everybody who sees this asks how many cylinders and are amazed that it's not using 3 or more.

Here are a few links to videos of my MITB project...

YouTube - Monster Crate Video 1

YouTube - Monster Crate Video 2

Regards,

Rooey

1 - 8 of 8 Posts