Halloween Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Do you expect less trick or treaters this year?

I thought last year we had less because people went to parties on Saturday. I want to think more kids will tot this year. Thoughts?

·
His name is Roger Clyne
9,850 Posts
More, but then anything over last year's 15 will be an improvement. I complain about 15 but I know there's plenty here that get zero so I kinda feel badly for my count of 15.

I also know there's some here that get hundreds & I'm sorta jealous.

·
Registered
393 Posts
I get more and more every year because word's gotten out about my haunt. We have a set ToT time, which ends at 8, so I don't think it affects the number at all in my area. What it does seem to affect is how long kids and parents hang around, especially if it's warmer out. Last year I had people come back a second time to take a longer look, which didn't happen the prior year. I think they feel rushed on a school night.

·
Seer of All
2,940 Posts
I'm thinking our numbers will be up from last year. We've been in the 500+ range for several years but last year we dropped down to around 250. I'm pretty sure it was due to there being more organized events and parties since it was on Saturday.

·
Rutherford Manor Haunt
2,067 Posts
I can't predict this either, we are expecting about 1200-1300 on Halloween night, assuming it is reasonably warm? Like Hilda weather has the biggest part on our numbers. Last year it poured, but was warm for Edmonton, we had 900+.

·
Registered
293 Posts
Its my belief that I get more TOTers, weekdays, but more parents & grandparents weekends.
My house is behind a k-3rd school, that still does a Halloween parade, so weekdays they start at 3:00 right from school.

·
Registered
7,208 Posts
For YEARS the Halloween Parade was supposed to marshal-up right in front of my Haunt. But the forces that BE conspire so at the last minute, the Band director or someone in local Government tells them to NOT be in front of my house?
Last year it was a guy who doesn't like me because yrs. ago HE couldn't fix My Lawn mower....(Talk all day, sleep all night)
There have been some close calls with people driving too close to drop their kid off, almost running over someone else's KID! This happens because they keep putting all the kids and the Band on the wrong side of the saw horses! (Or a block away where there is even more potential hazards of becoming ran over)
The spot infront of my house is a City Parking Lot, it can be used for this, no problem. With saw horses across the South end it becomes a dead-end with no through traffic, very sane and safe way to do this, but after 29 years it still has not happened no matter what anybody says before 5 O'Clock .

·
Registered
1,032 Posts
Except for our own kids, we won't get any. We moved back onto the mountain, and I can't imagine anyone driving up our heavily wooded 200 yard driveway to TOT. Not a lot of homes around here either. There are many upsides with living in the woods, but getting a lot of action on Halloween with TOTers isn't one of them. I think overall it will be a better turnout for people, as the weekend school activities with football games and parties makes a big dent in numbers.

·
Registered
7,208 Posts
Monday Night Football? A school night will put a definite "Cap" on it. As far as a Haunted House night, it could be better . Any Halloween on a Saturday night has to compete with Halloween partys, costume contests, another Sat. night to go "Drinking"... and Vandalism.
When the Calendar is featuring an "Extra" Saturday, that is usually nice for us.
Weather can be nasty later in the month, if the weather remains good and/or predictable in that first week of November, Ravens Grin has had very good "Business", sometimes "Heavy" with other house owners and their employees.

·
Here to burgle your turts
2,305 Posts
I was so excited that Halloween was going to be on a weekend a couple years back. Figured the numbers would go up for sure. But a few people here told me otherwise and they were right. In spite of decent weather, TOTers were down. And when we checked our records (that's right, we've got Halloween records) it turned out that that was the case 7 years earlier too.

I know last year we had a few people show up who said they're kids had been at the mall TOTing all day and were just done with Halloween by that point of the night. Makes me sad. So hoping for a bigger year this year.

·
Registered
1,190 Posts
I'm not sure if the numbers are higher or lower on the weekend. Like others have said it has more to do with the weather. I prefer it be on the weekend. I put up my yard haunt the day of, and I have more help on the weekends. During the week everyone works and just makes it here in time for toting.

·
Registered
7,208 Posts
I have had some people ask me :"So, do you ever take your Halloween display stuff "Down?'
I try to not insult them or make them feel stupid, BUT, my displays, especially those out of doors, are all heavily constructed , welded, bolted Screwed together things. The 12 foot tall steel skull remains right where it is now!
The old car bodies remain where they are Now!
I have no light-weight displays here, at all. the very few items that could possibly get messed with are bolted down with many bolts!

·
Registered
1,388 Posts
I think we will get maybe a bit less but not much. Honestly...I don't want too many more. Last year we got almost 350 and we give out comic books, chips, full sized chocolate bars and other candies and some candy free stuff too. It is getting expensive and I would like to continue to give something "good" because we are THE house in the neighborhood

·
Registered
353 Posts
In my area, the numbers seem to go up on weekdays. I also noticed more people tend to be passing out candy on weekdays also.

·
Registered
1,190 Posts
I think we will get maybe a bit less but not much. Honestly...I don't want too many more. Last year we got almost 350 and we give out comic books, chips, full sized chocolate bars and other candies and some candy free stuff too. It is getting expensive and I would like to continue to give something "good" because we are THE house in the neighborhood
I know what you mean. We give toy and a candy bar, and try to keep it about .50. We used to give out more, but now we get around 1,000 toters. At .50 a head, we are still spending $500, to say nothing of new props. I wouldn't mind if we went back to 400-500. We could pass out the bags with more candy and a toy. And there would be more time to talk to people. Now it's almost like an assembly line.

In my area, the numbers seem to go up on weekdays. I also noticed more people tend to be passing out candy on weekdays also.
I never thought about more lights being off on weekends. With people having plans and leaving for the weekend, there would be less places for kids to tot.

·
Registered
717 Posts
It should be the same here. We had 600 kids last year. This year being a Monday wont effect the kids wanting to TOT
since our curfew is 6-8 PM.... the kids will be ready to go at 6

1 - 20 of 25 Posts