Halloween Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all..I am doing hansel and gretel house for a fund raiser and I am making candies etc to attach to a board for front of little house. I found an aluminum cake pan in the shape of a cupcake at thrift store and thought I could do some lightweight molds and paint and attach to board. After I got it home I started to think how on earth could I do this? I'm sure there are those of you out there who have done this ..so I'm asking ..how? Has to be light and easy to get out of the pan ..so I can make multiples. Thanks!

·
Registered
44 Posts
Depending on the size of the tray you may want to do your Great Stuff in layers because it's an air cure expanding foam. (So it needs to be exposed to air to dry thoroughly.)

I have had some projects where I have gone 6+ inches thick with Great Stuff and it remained gooey on the inside when I cut into it.

Another option would be to go with a chemical cure foam like Foam-It 3 from SmoothOn, however this route will be more expensive than just using Great Stuff. (Chemical cure foams do not need to be exposed to air to setup entirely.)

Good luck, it sounds like an awesome project!

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hmmm..do I spray anything into the pan if I use latex, so latex will come out easier? I would love to use the great stuff directly but it is like glue ..so I fear it will NEVER come out of the pan.

·
Registered
70 Posts
For making large candy, I have also seen (somewhere on Halloween Forum I think) paper bowls painted with swirls and then wrapped in cellophane. It looked great and making them would be pretty quick I would think. If I can find a picture I will post.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks family haunter..I have been to the 1.09 ( lol inflation) store and have plastic bowls and round trays..making lollipops..��

·
Rutherford Manor Haunt
2,065 Posts
Pool noodles also make great lollipops, search pool noodle lollipops on Pinterest, you will find plenty of ideas.

As far as applying the latex to the muffin pan, it would act as the releasing agent so the foam cupcake should pop out of mold quite easily. I was going to suggest a 2 part foam as well, depending on how deep the muffin pan is. Also spritz the pan with water (before filling) and the great stuff with water to help it set.

·
Registered
125 Posts
You need to first off, spray your pan/mold with a good release agent. Then, I would use either latex, thin layer, allow that to dry an hour at least. If you use great stuff, do it in layers, to allow for it to dry and not be gooey inside. The better way is to use two part poly foam. I get mine from www.brickintheyard.com. Great place for all of your mold making and casting needs.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Oooo thank you all for your wisdom.. I will be working on this starting next month..don't know what I would do without all of you! :D

1 - 10 of 10 Posts