Halloween Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
1240af6f5e8fe9463d6e04be1232da4b.jpg Has anyone ever tried to make the Martha Stewart severed finger invitations that is so popular on Pinterest? I've never done anything like this and my first attempt failed miserably. Any recommendation on a good, easy to use brand of mold rubber?

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
That photo shows alginate, but that would result in a one time use mold. Check out Smooth On products. Their body double silicone starter set would be perfect. You can cast hundreds of fingers from the one silicone mold. They have a lot of casting resin starter kits that would work. Not cheap, but you get what you pay for. The body double silicone captures every detail. I have used this and love it!.

You will make a silicone mold of your finger, then use casting resin to make the fingers. They have a flexible resin that would work.

·
Registered
65 Posts
For something so simple you could try amazing mold putty from Hobby lobby or michaels. It would be fine for duplicating fingers. Body double is a great product but not necessary for what you are trying to accomplish

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Actually, Amazing putty was what I used when I failed miserably. My crafting skills leave something to be desired. :roll eyes:

I ordered the Smooth On starter kit and waiting anxiously for it to arrive. I invite about 80 people to this party, mostly couples, so I need to make about 40 of these suckers. Hopefully attempt #2 will work out better!

·
Registered
963 Posts
Here's something you might do. Make one silicone mold. Then cast, say, five plaster fingers out of that one mold. Then hot glue those plaster fingers to a board spaced slightly apart. Then brush layers of silicone rubber onto these fingers. You will end up with a mold of five fingers, and you can fill those all at once, to make five pieces at a time, instead of waiting for each one to solidify. It may save you a bunch of time...

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Good idea, tomanderson! I will have to look into that. Thank you!

HBHaunter, the instructions say to use quick-drying plaster. But I think I'm going to use the casting resin that Wolfbeard suggested.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts