Halloween Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
13,991 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I think I finally found a prop use for an animated wire frame Xmas Deer---an anubis for my Egyptian tomb scene (the deer's head moves from right to left slowly). Thought I would add red LED eyes to it, all of which should fit nicely inside.

Here's a pic of the frame I am planning on using:

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3181/3085912688_e87ea9b34e.jpg

and here's a link on Wikipedia to anubis if you aren't familiar with it and wonder what I'm talking about:

Anubis - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Two Questions for you guys:

1) Would you make the prop as a jackal (not much different body-wise than the deer) or would you use the animated deer head and place it on the top of a human prop body?

I don't think it will be hard to reshape and modify the frame where needed.

2) Since the anubis doesn't really appear to have fur but a smooth coat, what kinds of material would you guys suggest using for the outer skin of it?

I've never done a project like this but have been inspired by people here. Saw a great wolf project last year that was the motivation to buy the deer in the first place. Thanks guys.

·
Registered
522 Posts
Here is the one my wife built last year:

Halloween 2008 :: IMG_0152.jpg picture by bradbaum - Photobucket

Halloween 2008 :: IMG_0155.jpg picture by bradbaum - Photobucket

Halloween 2008 :: IMG_0228.jpg picture by bradbaum - Photobucket

It is a duck tape dummy and a paper mache head. The head was made by putting modeling clay on top of a wig head, then covering that with tin foil and then paper mache. after it was dry we cut it off the wig head and paper mached it back together. this gave us a hollow head, and allowed us to use the wig head in another prop. We wound up adding a PVC frame to the insides of the duck tape to make it stand up. My wife sewed the costume, he is just painted black.

·
Registered
13,991 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the photos and tips on your anubis, Bradbaum. I was looking through your Halloween 2008 photos and man did you guys go all out. I can't even begin to imagine how much time was put into everything. The kids in your neighborhood must love you guys. I remembered your Sphinx from last year but don't think I saw all your photos. Not to get off topic here, but I have to ask you about your giant cobra. Was it a static prop or animated somehow? Beautiful work on that.

·
Registered
522 Posts
I didn't build the cobra, I bought it from another prop builder I met.

It is air activated, and springs toward you. It just uses a pair of pop-up sprinklers to push it forward and a bungee cord to reset it when the air turns off.

It is made out of the rubbery foam and then coated with truck bed liner for durability.

The two year old is taking up a lot of my time this year, so we will see how much I get put together this year.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts