Halloween Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone have experience modifying fogger timers?

I am trying to fire a pirate ship cannon fire (fog), incorporating light and sound. The cannon is built from 4" black pvc pipe. I have a number of 400W fog machines with remote variable timers for them .

The variable timers are made by Fitco - I believe the IA231.

I would like to use the output of the timer to trigger the fog, a light and the sound of a cannon firing. I am thinking the output of the timer could be used to drive the fog machine and light but I need help triggering the sound.

Any Ideas?

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
It's been almost a week and there have been no replies, so I think I'll sacrifice one of my units to see what I come up with.

The actual part number is FITCO Item# 19116 Remote Timer, with variable output control.

·
demonic animatronic
810 Posts
sounds like this could work, if the timer works off of 120v out of the fogger, you could tie a relay in by splitting the timer output going back into the fogger and connecting that to the hot of the relay and the ground to the neutral to the neutral of the fogger, then when the timer sent the 120v back to the fogger it would also trip the relay which could activate a sound player and lighting. you will need a volt/ohm meter for this

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks.

That is along the lines of what I was thinking. For the light in the cannon, I should be able to put a low wattage 120V lamp tied to the trigger of the timer. It is still not real clear how I will play the sound. Specifically what type of device I could use to play the sound. Since I am firing a cannon, it would be nice if it could be fairly loud. I have extra sets of powered computer speakers available.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
SUCCESS at last!!!! I was able to use Cowalacious Chipcorder boards for the sound. The Fitco remote timer switches a relay to trigger the sound card (THANK YOU GUITARIST155)! The audio is run through a regular stereo amplifier. The timer also triggers the fog machine and lights. I was able to have a friend test them at a school haunt last weekend and they worked great. I hope to post some video and pictures of them soon - probably after 10/31.

·
Registered
438 Posts
Sweet! I just read this today.. was going to suggest you use a cheap sampler.. or hook up a laptop or something for the sound. I have several mp3 players.. might be possible to trigger them in some manner.. but that may get a bit expensive. Best bet is what you did.. using some sort of sound hardware to play it instantly.

I would suggest a powered sub if you have one. I plan to use my home theater sub for the big night for the thunder sounds.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I thought about hacking an mp3 player but these boards were about the same price and I thought I had a better chance of getting them to work.

Planned to use a subwoofer but I am waiting for a couple capacitors to repair it - don't know if I'll have them by Friday.....

Here are a couple videos of the cannons. I like the single shot better than the triple. I'll probably have to re-record it.

YouTube - Small Cannon - Firing Test

YouTube - Large Cannon - Firing Test 2

YouTube - Smoke Firing Cannon - Large

·
Registered
955 Posts
Delay

One thing I do know is that for your effect to be really cool, you will have to delay the light and sound to allow the fogger to produce the fog which I presume is the smoke from the cannon. The timer controls the pump circuit, so you could put a relay in that circuit. Then you will need some kind of adjustable delay circuit to fire fo the sound and light. to match the delayed fog output.

Spinman

·
demonic animatronic
810 Posts
One thing I do know is that for your effect to be really cool, you will have to delay the light and sound to allow the fogger to produce the fog which I presume is the smoke from the cannon. The timer controls the pump circuit, so you could put a relay in that circuit. Then you will need some kind of adjustable delay circuit to fire fo the sound and light. to match the delayed fog output.

Spinman
if you ever wanted to do this all you would have to do is change out the relay for a time delay relay that has an adjustable delay, so that when it got 120v it would wait before triggering the light and sound. but i think it looks great now and is probably not worth it for a slight delay

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Guitarist155,

That is exactly what I was thinking. I am quite happy with the effect. If this was for a stage production or I was getting paid, I would be more critical.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts