Halloween Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
AKA - S.M. Barrett
1,084 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey, gang.

While looking into coating and finishers, I kept noticing vague references to a product called "mod podge" (some folks say "modge podge" to add to the confusion). Well, I found it at Wal-Mart, and was curious as to whether any of you use it.

Mod Podge, Glue & Decoupage Products from Plaid Enterprises

For paper mache products, I've been sold on "Sculpt or Coat" from sculpturalarts.com, but this Mod Podge stuff seems like a viable alternative, or more to the point, an option for folks wanting to seal mache while smoothing it, sculpt fabric, coat foam, that sort of thing.

Am I overestimating it's worth? Is it simply a sealant of glue with no smoothing properties or sculpting applications? It doesn't get much attention, so I thought I'd ask for your opinions and experience.

·
Registered
184 Posts
sorry . i buy elmers glue by the gallon i mix probably about a little less than a quarter of the gallon of glue and a half of cup water and a half a bottle of mod podge and it works great . rock solid. i also put the whole papertowel in the mixture and ring it out

·
Registered
613 Posts
I've used Mod Podge for years as a coating on decoupage and mache projects for indoor use. If you search around Craftster (or other art/craft forums), you'll see tons of uses for it. Some people seal furniture with it and have no problems.

Plaid makes solid products for the home crafter (except for their crappy bottle acrylic). I just wouldn't trust Mod Podge for use on anything that will stay outside.

·
Registered
266 Posts
It's for decoupaging. basically glueing paper to wood or other stuff. It's pretty much white glue. I don't like it cause it stays sticky. And because glue is cheaper.

·
Registered
994 Posts
I've used Mod Podge for years as a coating on decoupage and mache projects for indoor use. If you search around Craftster (or other art/craft forums), you'll see tons of uses for it. Some people seal furniture with it and have no problems.

Plaid makes solid products for the home crafter (except for their crappy bottle acrylic). I just wouldn't trust Mod Podge for use on anything that will stay outside.
That site Spats posted says there's an "outdoor" Mod Podge. Never used the stuff myself though, so I'm no help.

·
Registered
725 Posts
If I happen to finish my paper mache projects this year, I plan to use Drylok to seal it. I guess I am not sure I would personally use it for outside props. Being in a humid area I guess I wouldn't put my money on it and would prefer to use something that is specifically meant for outside use.

On the other hand, I have used it to seal up my clay sculptures and it seems to work pretty slick.

·
Registered
668 Posts
I customise toys and i use it to seal them, it's always been great!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts