Halloween Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Vlad the Impaler
1,302 Posts
I think it's stupid. Even when i was a pre-teen. I swear if ANYBODY touches my display tonight I will kill them...afterall...I could always use a few more skeletons. And buckys are rather expensive.
MWMWHAHAHAHAHA!!!

·
Warlock
1,369 Posts
Didn't have it where I grew up in Arizona. Sounds pretty dumb to me. If pranks were played, it was on Halloween and even then it was pretty rare.

The 30th is Devil's Night in the Detroit area. I learned about this when living in north Toledo--pretty close to Detroit. After a big auto crisis in I think it was the '70s, there were a lot of empty and abandoned houses. These were easy targets for arson and over several years it became [traditional] for these kinds of arsons. With all the foreclosures now, I sort of worry the idea might spread. there's always someone dumb enough to think it's a good idea.

·
Vicious Dog Wrangler
1,012 Posts
We had it when I was a kid, but we called it "Gate Night." My mom would let my brother and I have a few cans of having cream each and we could only do it on our own driveway or the road directly in front of our house (which would then have to be quickly hosed off). What's the fun in that? lol. A little egg/tp sort of mischief seems harmless enough, but teenagers always seem to have to take it one step too far.

·
Registered
199 Posts
Unuasal amount of kids out last night, compared to the past few years. I actually thought it was a good thing. I stayed outside until about midnight, and actually left all my props and gravestones out. Nothing got touched! With all the teenage kids in my neighborhood, I think its kinda understood in the schools that they don't touch my house (I'm friends with all the neighbors and kids). Cops were out infull force, to say the least! They were EVERYWHERE!!

·
The Hobo Spider Assassin
6,111 Posts
In Michigan, it was called "Devil's Night" and as a kid we would usually prank those that spoiled or atempted to spoil Halloween. Many in the Detroit area go overboard and it's commonly known as the "night Detroit burns" a chance for the idiots to act like, well....idiots!

·
Registered
263 Posts
I've always known of it.

I'm kind of forgiving of it, but not when people destroy property that others put work into or that requires real repairs.

·
Registered
574 Posts
Mischief in my neighborhood in eastern PA was pretty much limited to throwing toilet paper on the trees of those neighbors who were "child unfriendly". And even that was more than MY parents would let me get away with.

Craig

·
Registered
175 Posts
I hated Devil's Night growing up. My parents lived off of a main street on the corner, so our house was an easy target. Devil's Night was dreaded because our front bay window would always be egged and was a bugger to clean. And if we'd buy some small pumpkins for our front steps, only one would be left buy Halloween morning.

The house I live in now with my husband is on a cul de sac street in the middle of town. The front porch is tucked beside the garage so if kids want to damage or steal anything, they have to walk right up to the front door.

We've left our pumpkins out all Devil's and Halloween night for the last 2 years, and nothing has ever happened. But this year being a warm Friday (yes, lucky Ontario) I may reconsider pulling them inside as teenagers will be out later.

But kids won't realize what a pain in the butt it is to clean up until after they have matured and have their own property...Karma may not be so gracious to them ;)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts