Halloween Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I really wanted to come up with a (non-interactive) mirror mirror prop for this year, but I wasn't finding anything online. Several people have done an interactive version suing a Raspberry Pi, but that's way more complicated than what I want. I was looking for a prop for my party, not something I have to hide behind the scenes to operate. I found a low end plastic prop on amazon: https://www.amazon.com/Motion-Activated-Haunted-Mirror-Creepy/dp/B00NY6WEXS/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1471542088&sr=8-1&keywords=haunted+mirror but that was too far at the other end of the spectrum.

I figured I could use a one way mirror with a computer monitor behind it if I could just fine the right video content. I didn't find exactly what I was looking for, so I settled for the Fear FX Phantasms DVD. http://atmosfx.com/products/phantasms

I managed to get the stand off one of my monitors without damaging it. Finding an inexpensive gothic looking morror also proved to be a challenge. This one at Walmart: https://www.walmart.com/ip/Better-Homes-and-Gardens-Baroque-Wall-Mirror/46302130 is pretty much the look I wanted, but it was too small for my monitor. I also didn't want it to be so large that the image would be a tiny spot in the center, due to the size of the monitor. So I spent months scouring craigslist and goodwill and eventually found one I thought would work. Oval or a more exotic shape would be cool, but I'm going to have to build it out from the wall to hide the monitor behind, so I decided it had to be a simple shape, preferably rectangular.

Here is what I ended up with: frame1.jpg
and I'm building the frame up to accommodate the monitor behind:
frame2.jpg

To try and that Baroque look, I bought a couple of scrolls to add to the top and bottom and I plan to add sculls, bats, etc. to "Goth it up".
scrolls.jpg

Here's the finished product:

it's really less of a "mirror mirror" mirror, and more of just a haunted mirror. But now it's too late to change the title of this post.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
My plan was to toss the mirror glass and replace it, but after an unsuccessful attempt to cut a new piece, and realizing that the existing glass was thicker than what I could buy at Home Depot, I wondered if I could convert what I had. Turns out, you can "unmirror"a mirror.I used paint stripper to remove the thick gray paint, then Blue Magic headlight restorer to remove the silver mirror coating. Then I bought one-way window mirror film from ebay and applied it to the glass. The end result can be seen above.
chem 1.jpg
Early tests holding this in front of a screen playing the DVD make me very optimistic about the end result. I'll post a video when I get it done.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
So, aside from perhaps adding some more gothic "bling", my haunted mirror is basically finished. I decided that the scrolls looked funny since they were so much thinner than the frame. I had to beef up the frame to hide the computer monitor behind, so now I decided I had to beef up the scrolls too. The jigsaw did the job but required a couple days of touch up with putty and sand paper.
mirror scrolls in progress.jpg

A little wood putty and paint, and here is the finished frame.
finished Frame.jpg
And here is is with the (now one way) mirror glass put back in.
finished mirror.jpg

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Here's the final effect.

The mirror will be mounted on a wall with a stone wall scene setter and the wires will be run behind it so they won't be visible. It's tough to see it well in the video because of lighting and size, unless you view it full screen. But in a dark room, it looks pretty awesome in person.

·
Registered
2,827 Posts
It looks amazing-- Very nicely done! I love the frame you created (Perfect finish!), and the whole project looks great.
I've been collecting the pieces for a haunted mirror, also. I think all I need is the glass (I have a rather large mirror and would rather not ruin potential resale value by stripping it-- though I can see where that could be an excellent option for a piece you're not thinking of saving. I'm probably just trying to fool myself with the idea of re-selling, anyway...haha)
I'm curious-- have you tried it out where the reflected background was "busier" and if so, how did it look? I don't really have anywhere that I could mount one where there would be a nice simple background to reflect.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yea, I got my mirror at Goodwill for $11, so I'm not really worried about resale value. :)

I have only tried it on the floor, so the ceiling is always the reflected background. It's going to be in the main party room, so I suspect the reflected background will be very busy, since it will most likely be all people. I hope that doesn't water down the effect. It doesn't reflect as well as a regular mirror, so the reflected background is a little more muted.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Looks great. I wonder instead of stripping the mirror, you could use some kind of plexiglass and put the mirror film on that?

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I thought about that in the beginning but decided against it. Cheap plexiglass bows, so it ruins the illusion. Thick plexiglass would have been more expensive than stripping the mirror and still wouldn't look as good.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts