Halloween Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
The Ghost Host
597 Posts
oooo this would be perfect for my party since we're doing a witchy theme...definitely can't shell out the price for one and i can't seem to find any to rent near me. :-/

·
Registered
530 Posts
Yeah, this looks cool, but too expensive. Looked up local rental rates for it and it's still too much (like $450 for 2 hours, and then there's the add-ons).

We've been using a simple DIY photo booth using an iPad, an app (SnapBooth) and an external flash called Nova Wireless Flash. The app is designed to work with the flash, which is needed in a darkened Halloween room. I bought a articulated wall mount for the iPad and mounted it on the wall. Stuck the flash on it with some Tack (sticky putty) and it worked great.

Unfortunately, the Nova company went out of business. Their website is still up, but product is no longer available. I've contacted the app developer about supporting a different external, bluetooth flash, but no joy there. The batteries are shot on my Nova, but it still works on USB power, so it'll continue to work for now, but I will ned another solution.

If you have one, what is your DIY Photo Booth solution?

Here's a couple of pics to show the set up. I had to put some tissue paper on the flash to toe down the brightness.

photobooth-front.jpg
photobooth-back.jpg

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thats a sharp looking setup and really all that you need. Sorry the Nova went out of businness, perhaps there is something comparable. If there is something comparable out there I would love to try and make it or buy it. The mirror does list the common hardware as below. Seems like this would work with any system if there was a program to pull them all together.

Canon DSLR camera ~$400
Any dye sub printer ~$700
43" TV ~$350
Laptop ~$400
Strobe flash ~$300

·
Registered
530 Posts
Wow, that's a lot for a DIY photo booth setup. For that money, you could hire a couple of photographers for the party for several years.

The iPad mount was from Monoprice, for about $50 or $60, and it was worth it. Not only did it keep the iPad secure, but it was articulated so people could move it around. We already had the iPad, so the only additional cost was the Nova Flash for about $50 and the app, which was under $10 for a week's subscription. That was about as cheap I could get for a photo booth, and it was totally worth it. Everyone enjoyed it and it was in use the entire time at the party.

We put the mount in front of an alcove we have in the front room, and put up the picture, candles and curtains. It made for an excellent backdrop.

We have only had this the past two years. First was the picture above, 2nd year we used the Van Gogh's Smoking Skeleton. We thought it'd be nice to change the pictures every year, so it's not always the same backdrop. We thought about moving the photo booth, but the alcove works out so well that it's difficult to put it elsewhere and get the same effect.

2016-booth-backdrop.jpg

I've contacted the maker of the app several times about the need to work with another flash. In fact, I just went to their website to see if they have anything new regarding flashes, and saw they are still referencing the Nova Flash. So, emailed them again. I think part of the problem is there aren't all that many Bluetooth flashes on the market.

If anyone is using of knows of a better photo booth app that can use an external flash, I'd like to know. The huge linchpin in my setup is the flash, and when it fails, I currently don't have another solution.

·
Registered
2,991 Posts
Thats a sharp looking setup and really all that you need. Sorry the Nova went out of businness, perhaps there is something comparable. If there is something comparable out there I would love to try and make it or buy it. The mirror does list the common hardware as below. Seems like this would work with any system if there was a program to pull them all together.

Canon DSLR camera ~$400
Any dye sub printer ~$700
43" TV ~$350
Laptop ~$400
Strobe flash ~$300
there are a few programs out there to make use of these components. I recall seeing them for under $200, but that was for a full-on photo booth. There is probably something cheaper that would work for just a few special occasions.

·
Registered
530 Posts
As sort of an update, the developer of the app replied, saying they didn't know Nova had gone out of business, and they would do some research on a replacement.

There doesn't seem to be all that many Bluetooth/external flashes out there, so I'm hoping they do find a solution.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts