Halloween Forum banner

41 - 44 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
270 Posts
@Brianaala - You should investigate this Picotalk controller - I think it will do nearly all of what you are trying to accomplish:
https://www.frightprops.com/picotalk-servo-controller.html

You could still use the Arduino with the motion sensor to trigger the audio but the rest of it would be managed by the Picotalk controller. You may balk at the $100 price tag but I can assure you that you will end up spending way more in labor and frustration attempting to get this to work using a single controller.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Welcome to the wonderful world of programming. I started down this rabbit hole 42 years ago and have been hooked ever since. I think this programming challenge--should you decide to fully accept it--could be your gateway drug to a bigger world, where anything is possible with a computer. The various voices in this discussion are all reasonable, and reminds me of the different voices within my own head as I pick apart a programming (or any design) problem. It's all about how much your time is worth. If you want a quick solution, you could easily use separate processors to accomplish what you want. If you want to do a deep dive and really learn how to accomplish it with a single processor, it can take serious time to develop your understanding of everything, but could be a very rewarding journey. You have received good advice so far. It's definitely possible to do with a single processor, if designed right. Today's processors are so much better and cheaper than of yore...but I reveal my age.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #43
@Brianaala - You should investigate this Picotalk controller - I think it will do nearly all of what you are trying to accomplish:
https://www.frightprops.com/picotalk-servo-controller.html

You could still use the Arduino with the motion sensor to trigger the audio but the rest of it would be managed by the Picotalk controller. You may balk at the $100 price tag but I can assure you that you will end up spending way more in labor and frustration attempting to get this to work using a single controller.
With all due respect, I know I could buy a picotalk, wee little talker, or banshee board if I want to buy this but I don't; I like building things and feeling accomplished, I enjoy learning new stuff and figuring out challenges. I don't get frustrated from learning and if/ when I do figure this thing out I have a LOT of other uses brewing in my mind of new homemade (unique) props I can build!

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #44
Welcome to the wonderful world of programming. I started down this rabbit hole 42 years ago and have been hooked ever since. I think this programming challenge--should you decide to fully accept it--could be your gateway drug to a bigger world, where anything is possible with a computer. The various voices in this discussion are all reasonable, and reminds me of the different voices within my own head as I pick apart a programming (or any design) problem. It's all about how much your time is worth. If you want a quick solution, you could easily use separate processors to accomplish what you want. If you want to do a deep dive and really learn how to accomplish it with a single processor, it can take serious time to develop your understanding of everything, but could be a very rewarding journey. You have received good advice so far. It's definitely possible to do with a single processor, if designed right. Today's processors are so much better and cheaper than of yore...but I reveal my age.
Thanks Dpeterson! I agree it's definitely a rabbit hole!!! But think about how boring Alice's life would have been without following the white rabbit! :)

41 - 44 of 44 Posts