Halloween Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As many of you know we offer LED Spots & Floods made to my specs for the best overall quality and brightness.

We now offer 4 LED bulbs:
7 & 12 LED spots designed for indoor use (can be used outdoors in waterproofed fixtures) great for mood lighting and enhancing props.

18 LED spots and 36 LED floods weathersafe and dimmable.

Yes, these can be dimmed using LOR ( Light-O-Rama ) for users of that controller.

Do not forget MinionsWeb is your best source for 5 models of UL approved, patent pending Cob Web Guns.
Created by a fellow haunter, for everyone from the home haunter to the professional haunted house to amusement parks and movie studios.

We have been providing the world with professional tool quality webbers for the past 10 years.
Tools, not toys.

Of course we also manufacture 14 colors of fire & food safe hot melt glue based web sticks.
Available in clear, 5 colors, UV reactive neons, UV reactive clear, 2 types of BloodStix (fresh & old), 30 minute glow, and our new 12 Hour Superglow.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Hey Gorey,
I totally love your products and have been digging through your site. However, I had some questions that I thought would benefit the group, as well as point out what a noob I am to LED lighting. (I couldn't find the exact answers on your site)

What kind of sockets are needed for the various LED lights? (7, 12, 18, and 36)
Can they go in normal desk lamps, can lights in ceiling, etc.?

Are the 36 LED floods too powerful (too much light) to be used indoors? The following link is my plea for help for some indoor lighting. I'm thinking of using your blue LED lights in the ceiling cans, but am unsure what power/size to use. Spots may be too "spot" but flood could either look great, or blind everyone in a blast of color. Thoughts?

http://www.halloweenforum.com/halloween-props/71927-help-need-advice-indoor-lighting-prop.html

Also, here's my wimpy outdoor lighting at the moment. Those are just red party bulbs in 3 ceiling cans. You can see the street light pollution on the ground as well. Would the Red LED floods improve the red lighting... richer, etc.? (I'm actually thinking of doing blue out there this year.)

Maybe next year I can afford to get some zip line and stake lights for the graveyard. *sigh*

Thanks for any help/thoughts/advice!

·
Registered
59 Posts
^^^ what he said!
I have ZERO experience with lighting, and/or controler. I'm just a haunting-fun kinda guy with several years of architectural experience. Couple of things come to mind....." weathersafe and dimmable"... Can these be used outside and exactly how weatherable are they? If it rains, am I going to be running to bring these into the house? Which brings me to...I assume these screw into any "typical" exterior flood lamp/housing?? (for example, the ones that hang from the soffit on a house.)...??

What is the biggest difference between the 18 versus 36 LEDs? Can you compare that to a standard light bulb? - if possible. OR post a pic showing the difference?? ;)

Dimmable...?? Like with a standard household dimmer switch?? or is this a specialty item??

·
Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Sorry all, been slammed at work and with the biz, and the kid, and the looming tax extension deadline, and the city inspection of my house

aaaaaaaaaaarrrrrrrrrrr.

What kind of sockets are needed for the various LED lights? (7, 12, 18, and 36) Can they go in normal desk lamps, can lights in ceiling, etc.?
As long as the fixture you use will let the bulb fit, yes.
I do not know if I would use this in a desk lamp, the light shoots a lot like a maglight flashlight, straight out for the most part.

I use 3 white Floods in the cans in my kitchen ceiling.
When I drop handfuls of plain and UV glue stix on the floor I break out a UV and throw it in a clip light so I can sort them.

They are all edison sockets, known as medium base, like most light bulbs you buy, like compact flourescents too, got it?

Are the 36 LED floods too powerful (too much light) to be used indoors? The following link is my plea for help for some indoor lighting.
I'm thinking of using your blue LED lights in the ceiling cans, but am unsure what power/size to use. Spots may be too "spot" but flood could either look great, or blind everyone in a blast of color. Thoughts?
The floods are a 50 degree beam, which is still pretty tight, only going to be almost a 1:1 ration of width of light beam to distance travelled.
4 feet away it is about 4' wide.

Incandescent spots, on the other hand really use the reflector in the bulb to redirect the light source (the filament in the middle of the bulb casting light off it 360 degrees)

These spots and floods are for focus, you want to put emphasis on an item or an area, then they are great.
You want to illuminate a room, not well suited for that.

Plus yes, you look directly into the lamp, it is pretty blinding, but that is the case with most bulbs that are spot of flood.

Also, here's my wimpy outdoor lighting at the moment. Those are just red party bulbs in 3 ceiling cans. You can see the street light pollution on the ground as well. Would the Red LED floods improve the red lighting... richer, etc.? (I'm actually thinking of doing blue out there this year.)
You would not have near as much wash on the walls from the spots and floods, if the cans are pointing directly down, so it will not be as obvious.
The red is definitely more rich, to the point where the brightness is not as apparent.

Next message.....
I have ZERO experience with lighting, and/or controler. I'm just a haunting-fun kinda guy with several years of architectural experience. Couple of things come to mind....." weathersafe and dimmable"... Can these be used outside and exactly how weatherable are they? If it rains, am I going to be running to bring these into the house? Which brings me to...I assume these screw into any "typical" exterior flood lamp/housing?? (for example, the ones that hang from the soffit on a house.)...??
weathersafe and dimmable....
Do not drown the lamps, almost no bulb known to man can weather 1" or 2" of rain per hour in a temporary light stake without trippong a breaker or gfci.

But a typical rainfall on a typical crap day, should have no impact.
In a fixture with base up lamp down, should be fine with no precautions.

I still recommend that if using stake lights in the ground or facing UP, weep holes should be drilled into them to get rid of accumulating moisture.

I also cover my stake lights with saran wrap and a rubber band, just for an extra sense of security, I mean these are not .69 cent incandescent light bulbs.

What is the biggest difference between the 18 versus 36 LEDs? Can you compare that to a standard light bulb? - if possible. OR post a pic showing the difference??
Twice the light and 2.5x the viewing angle.
You cant compare them to regular bulbs, the different colors have different apparent outputs. Blue and green seem bringhtest and seem bringhter than 70 and 100 watt lamps compared to 18 and 36.
White is similar in output comapred to 70 and 100.
Red and Yellow, are very saturated colors, and seem like half the light of a 70 and 100 watt,bt in reality, are just not throwing a lot of broad spectrum out.
Also incandescent spots, as I think I mentioned earlier, throw out a lot of light wash all over the place, because of how the light is created and reflected.

The tightest spots I have seen incandescent at 35 degrees of greater, LEDs can be as tight as 5, ours are 20.

Floods incandescent are typically 120 degree beam, our floods, 50.
I chose 50 to get the brightest output with good coverage without wash.

I have zero extra time to set up and take pics in the next 3 weeks, maybe after I return from NJ in 3 weeks following my mothers 80 b-day and I am setting up my haunt.

Dimmable...?? Like with a standard household dimmer switch?? or is this a specialty item??
Craptastic rotary dimmers are not granular enough to do the trick, they pretty much go 100/50/0 with LEDS.

You want a high quality digital dimmer such as a lutron unit, or a controller system like LightORama or D-Lights.
I need to try them with x-10, I suspect that dim will work really well.

OK, enough for now.
If I find other affordable dimmers these work with of course I will bring it up.
And other info as I discover it too.

·
Registered
1,403 Posts
Ordered my webgun yesterday and can't wait to get my hands on it. lol I'm planning on doing my whole yard since the theme is spiders this year.

·
Registered
1,403 Posts
That's great to hear. It said that it shot down to 45 degrees and we can never tell what it's going to be like here. I'm going to have to order the websticks when I get back from vacation. I think the gun shot 7lbs. per hour. Is each package of sticks a pound?

·
Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yes each pack a pound.

Figure as a beginner 250sq ft to a pound.

As you get more comfortable with the gun and learn to finesse it, you will easily do 500 sq ft to a pound.

As you earn your belts in Webber-fu, you should be capable of 1000 sq ft or more from a pound.

Honestly I would not hesitiate on glue, I have to reconncile the glue to the system, thanks to too many abandoned shopping carts.

Yesterday the system said I had nearly 100 lbs of UV, and I have under 30 lbs left. corrected that one, and have to update the rest. I know there is a lot less black and Glow than reported very low on neon Yellow and running low on WebStix (clear).

As glue runs out these next 2 weeks I do not plan to order more in until January.
Otherwise I get stuck carrying inventory into the new year and taking a hit on my taxes for it.
Imagine taking a 10-20k hit for having glue on the shelves as carried inventory...ouch!

·
Registered
187 Posts
I bought two of the blue LED Floods from Corey, I couldn't be happier. I use them as Moonlight in my Haunt and they are almost too bright! Again these Floods are super, I also bought a webgun as well and all i can say is WOW, never had so much fun in my life, in fact I may have over did the web thing just a tad lol, but meh it looks good. I wouldn't hesistate to do business with Minions again.

·
Registered
8 Posts
impressed with the Minions Web LED floods

Just wanted to say that I had purchased many of the new 36 LED Par20 floods from Minions Web and wish I had bought more. Everyone that has seen (and felt them while on) had been very impressed and wanted to buy them. Couldn't find them anywhere else once Minions ran out. The color and light is very, very bright. But they are completely and smoothly dimmable. I have attached a photo- albeit a slightly extended exposure - of the front of my house this year with some red floods (in cheap alumnium flood shop lamps) from below and the UV LED floods from above in ceiling cans. A blue LED spot (18 leds) was used in a can light to light up a hanging bat just left of center. This was attached to a Lighting FX box. The dimmer effect of that device worked perfectly with these LEDs so it flickered like lightening. Would like to say that only the 36 LED floods will fit in those green outside holiday flood holders (the ones with the red rubber gasket) as the 18 LED spots are too small to be able to screw into them without removing the rubber ring seal. Because they are so cool while on, a light rain has no effect on them and they can litterally be put right up against a heat sensitive item (like a foam tombstone) and not affect it. They can also be covered with a colored saran or cellephane wrap to dim them or change color of a white bulb (like a gel sheet would).
The UV floods are pretty weak and only have a short effective throw. Street light pollution from the light pole in front of my house may have really spoiled things a bit with regard to effectiveness of the black light (which also came from 48" black tubes on the porch floor) to light up the webs.
I did use them inside as well in a couple of lamps and floods. They have a sharp throw but inside a lamp shade they give a pretty neat glow.
I must say that I have been very impressed with Corey Minion from Minions web for his excellent service and response to questions and desire to provide excellent quality Halloween products and giving honest advice and recommendations. His shipping was prompt (with in stock items) and prices are fare. The MW-D web gun (around $325 I think) is expensive but it really works as described.
I would predict that based on the brightness and extreme efficiency of these lights (around 1 watt) and the fact that they really give off no heat, they will become standard and replace incandescants eventually. I am going to purchase a few white ones to see how they look in my inside ceiling cans for normal use.
Bill

·
Caretaker of Eerie Manor
6,469 Posts
That's some amazing color! Really effective. LED spots are on my short list for next year as I try to upgrade my atmosphere. The webbing is also awesome. Again, something I would like to invest in. Thanks for posting those pics. Gives a nice idea of the actual effect.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Although those pictures look really bright and colorful they are not a true life image. It is hard to capture in the dark without extended exposure (I am not a photographer so I don't have a lot of knowledge on how to do it correctly). I would say that the floods are a bit more subdued and not overpowering if you project them at a good distance so they spread and weaken a bit. I will be picking webbing out of my shutters for months. The good new is that they seem to deteriorate in the sunlight over a few weeks. They yellow, get brittle and just rub off.

·
Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Bill, horse hair brush over the slats in the shutters, should remove the webbing quickly.

If there is more difficult to get at webbing, I recommend using a putty knife (without a sharp edge) and push it along to know off the web.

I just did that on my front porch, had to lay up a new coat of paint on it.

The web may yellow over time, but will remain, it will not just go away.
I have traces here and there for years.
Colored versions also fade over time (6 months to a year)

FYI, I am filling in inventory of sold out LED lights with an arrival date slated for 12/8 - there will be a discount purchasing period thru this coming monday 11/17.
I am working to get it set up today.

This will be heavily promoted on the xmas lists, and on all the forums and lists I participate on.

I would suggest getting in on this batch, as labor costs are increasing in China, already some 20%.
Any savings in volume, repeat business, and a slightly strengthened dollar I was expecting was offset by labor.
I expect a price increase on the next order I make.

Also, other news on the LED bulbs.
I am having samples made now of:
12 LED E27 Spot - weather-tight
UV365, Purple, Blue, Green, Yellow, Orange Red, 6000K Cool White

50 LED par30 Flood - weather-tight
UV, Purple, Blue, Green, Yellow, Orange Red, 6000K Cool White

70 LED Par38 Flood - weather-tight
Triple UV, Purple, Blue, Green, Yellow, Orange, Red, IR, 6000K Cool White

120 LED Par38 Flood - weather-tight
Triple UV, Purple, Blue, Green, Yellow, Orange, Red, 6000K Cool White

We are also seeking out LED string and Rope lights.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Thanks

Corey,
Did exactly what you said with brush and putty knife and had similar success. Will probably have to repaint but expected that. Well worth the effect the webs provided. Neighborhood people still commenting on how great the house looked for Halloween. They are all waiting for next year.
Yikes!
Bill

·
Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Ouch, I will not be getting cree style LEDs since they are not sealed fixture lamps.
I have about 10 different models as samples from suppliers, and all are in vented housing due the the heatsink and heat issues.
That makes them too prone to moisture intrusion for me to be able to warrantee.

The others you cited, are the chips, without drivers, or envelopes. We arent getting inot raw chips,only finished lamps.

I couldnt even tell you if they are dimmable, but I believe if used with the appropriate driver they can be.
Recently had a company try to get involved with us send a notice regarding a dimmable cree rig.

Another thing about the cree style leds, I am not thrilled with the light distribution (it has been over a year since I got samples, and I understand they are 3rd generation now, so it may have changed).

So, maybe in the future we will deal with those bulbs for interior only use.

·
Registered
510 Posts
Gorey,
I am working on my set up for 2009. I missed out this year because you were sold out. GRRRR!
I use just your basic outdoor light stakes from walmart and home depot. I am looking for red and green and possibly blue led floods. What should I get from you and are they now available? Is there any thing new coming down the pike? My other question is that some, I have bought in the past are really short and barely make contact into the socket of the outdoor light spike.

·
Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
BTW, the 18 & 36 LED Bulbs are on sale...for a little longer....

"I am working on my set up for 2009. I missed out this year because you were sold out. GRRRR!"

That happens, we have gone thru a lot of bulbs now in 2 years.
In most cases they are sold out with a month of arrival.
We have doubled my orders from the manufacturer each time.
It has made them very responsive to my requests for new products, improvements, etc.

"I use just your basic outdoor light stakes from walmart and home depot."

Can you get the same flavor each year?
You should know, those are designed to work with PAR38 bulbs, not the MR11, E27, PAR 20 and PAR 30 most LED bulbs are.

"I am looking for red and green and possibly blue led floods. What should I get from you and are they now available?"

Of course you should get everything, and lots of em! :)
All three are arriving any moment.
I had expected them this past Monday, but there was a screw up with our new skelli-bears in China (they were to piggy back the shipment).
The shipment was delayed until Tuesday in China (our Monday) until I knew about it.

Order before they arrive.
They are currently on sale until the bulbs get delivered here.
Then new improved price (i.e. going up).

"Is there any thing new coming down the pike?"

Hell yeah!
1) We have 3 new colors and 4 new sizes coming, Orange, Purple, and DUO-UV (wide spectrum) plus bulbs will be coming in 12, 50, 70 and 120 LED formats (3rd generation weather-tight). I may request a warm white too (for the other holidays).
2) The new Universal LED Stakes to work with our twist on sockets and zip cords (why be tied to stake lights and a million cords, 3 ways, etc?).
3) A very cool LED candle (it will be premiered at HPE in Houston).
4) The long awaited Boom-Pack Actor Air Cannon.
5) ohhh I can't keep spilling the beans....we have new stuff acomin....

"My other question is that some, I have bought in the past are really short and barely make contact into the socket of the outdoor light spike."

OK, that is a statement....but I feel your pain. Like I said before, you should try the twist-on sockets and zip cord, paired with the Universal Mounts or Stakes you wont have the same pain.

Also, a heads up - earlier this week, I added a newsletter and notice system to minionsweb.com. Click here to subscribe for any of a variety of emails: Our newsletter, sale notices, New product announcements, even TransWorld HauntShow invites used to register for the show.

I am currently working on adding gift card/certificates too, this way you can hint for the haunt present you want, without someone deciding on something you dont want. That should be in place by Monday 12/15.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts