Halloween Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Shadow box dancer
1,443 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I needed a hard hat for my skeleton that will be sitting in my mine cart. My good old scrounge of a dad found one for me. It was blue and white plastic (stupid me didn't think of taking a before pic of it).

First I spray painted it metallic silver. Then I went out to the garden and sifted some dirt over a really fine mesh. I got some really fine dust. Then I took clear cover spray paint and wet down the hard hard. I layered a fine dusting of dirt over the helmet. Making sure to get it heavy in the crevices. I repeated this a few times and smoothed and bumped up certain areas. Then a fine spray of clear over the whole thing.

It looks so cool in person, you can't really see all of the bumps and ridges the dirt made in these pics. It is especially cool on the brim, as if someone's dirty hands had taken the hat off on and on thousands of times (Vladamir Guerrero would be proud). ;)

Here are a few pics.

·
Registered
55 Posts
The helmet looks good!! I'd like to see some final pics. I like the Angels reference too, even though I'm a Bosox fan. Keep up the good work and post pics.

·
Shadow box dancer
1,443 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks all. I am on the look out for more freebie hard hats. I have my whole scavenging team hot on the trail. :) I hope to get at least 4 or 5. We have plans for about that many props. I am not very good at these aging techniques so I am so happy with how it turned out. Since I want to do more, the next one I do I want to get progress pics. I wish I would have had the forethought to take a before picture of this one though.

Great idea on the headlamp. I will have to figure that one out to make it look old school as well. :D

·
Mill Creek Haunted Hollow
6,359 Posts
That looks great! Really good job. If you hadn't written up a description, I would have thought it was metal. Perhaps an old hard hat you had actually found!

Great job!

·
Registered
141 Posts
Looks great. Please tell us more about the haunt you're preparing. I'm doing a haunted mineshaft and could use some more ideas.

·
Registered
11 Posts
what about my Ikea lights we were going to put up on the furniture.... they are sort of shaped like small headlamps.. =)

I really like it! Can't wait to see it in person. =)

·
Shadow box dancer
1,443 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
what about my Ikea lights we were going to put up on the furniture.... they are sort of shaped like small headlamps.. =)

I really like it! Can't wait to see it in person. =)
Ha!!! They would be perfect. But, someday I will get those things installed. :D

I can't wait until you get to see my haunt in person too. ;)

·
The Hobo Spider Assassin
6,111 Posts
YHJ, totally sold me on it being an old fashioned metal miners hard hat. Well done. Now, just what were they mining for and why are they all dead...gotta "flesh" out the theme a bit maybe?! Or was it a dead mine that took the souls of those looking for the elusive gold and now they remain to haunt the shaft?

·
Shadow box dancer
1,443 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
YHJ, totally sold me on it being an old fashioned metal miners hard hat. Well done. Now, just what were they mining for and why are they all dead...gotta "flesh" out the theme a bit maybe?! Or was it a dead mine that took the souls of those looking for the elusive gold and now they remain to haunt the shaft?
I think it will be a gold mine, people have an affinity for that. Plus I don't think a coal mine would be very appealing. :) As far as how they all died, I don't know yet. To keep it simpler for me I might leave that up to the imagination of the TOT's. :D

·
Registered
141 Posts
I'm going to have some sort of legend about Springhill Jack, a miner that was cheated or otherwised wronged and now haunts the mine. And ever since, miners that have gone in to steal Springhill Jack's gold have never been seen again. There will be some partially buried skeletons in the mine to explain what happened to them.

·
Shadow box dancer
1,443 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Terror Syndicate did a Haunted Coal Mine in 2007, maybe some of their props might give you some ideas. Haunted Coal Mine Props
I had come across that page before I joined hauntforum. I was thinking a little more cartoonish in terms of my targeted audience being little TOT's. I definitely can take some ideas from them though. I really liked the clothing the miners were dressed up in. We are in the process of trying to find lamps as well. Thanks for all the great input everyone!!!! I can't wait to disclose some of the "special" projects that I am working on.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts