Halloween Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
316 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have wanted a projector for the LONGEST time...but at the hefty price tags that I have seen most ($500-1000+) there was no way I could afford one. I've seen lately a few different types of mini projectors...I'm talking the size of cell phones...they can supposedly project images up to 70"...5 ft', so I am wondering if they would be something worth looking into and what types of applications they could serve. My first thought was a Madame Leota type effect...prices starting around the mid $200's - 300's but as low as $100

source: Pico Projector -- Engadget

·
Registered
628 Posts
So do they work on a memory chip or have to hook them to usb/pc mac?
"BeamBox has just announced it's taking pre-orders for the Evolution R-1 pocket projector. If you've forgotten, the R-1 boasts an LCoS chip, with a brightness of 30 lumens, a 200:1 contrast ratio and VGA (640 x 480) resolution. The little guy has up to 4GB of onboard Flash memory, plus a microSD slot. It weighs in at about 175 grams, and will run you £260 (about $364), and is expected to ship on April 1st."

Looks like they have an SD chip and internal memory

·
Registered
293 Posts
I just have to wonder how bright these things are. I read about the 3M ones (I think it was 3M) and they use a LED for the projection. Don't know how that works, but one advantage is you will never have to replace the "Bulb". ( I got the link to the demo on Photobucket) It also has a plug in, so you don't HAVE to run it off the battery. (nice feature)

I just don't know if it would be bright enough for any real practical use, sure it can project a 50" image, but the bigger the image the more washed out it will be.

E

·
Registered
1,950 Posts
But for haunt purposes you will be using it in a darkened rom anyway, right?
if it has an iternal memory and run off battryies, think how easy it would be to set up and hide.

I realy like this idea.

·
Registered
683 Posts
LED projectors are typically 20-30 lumens which means they might be just good enough for outdoor use but if you have a lot of nearby lighting the picture will fade. A better one are the LED which has over 100 lumens. Those you can probably have no problem in displaying but again the less lighting around it the better. The problem is the 100-150 versions are about 2x the price of the 30 lumen versions. Perhaps by this summer brighter one at the same price point will be available. They oprate just like standard digital projectors- jsut hook up a video signal and shoot away.

I think they would make great display (ie Buzz lightyear or madame leona) so whoever's interesting in recreating one of these types of characters it possible now

victor

·
Registered
683 Posts
exactly. Inside the suit there's a small projector dislaying an animation of Buzz's face. With these new small digital pj now you can do it too. You could do the same effect by filming yourself or someone else and superimposing the video onto a bust, inside a floating head, or wherever catches your imagination.

Victor

·
Registered
448 Posts
Thanks for the informative video. Can't wait to see it up close.

·
Registered
490 Posts
Does anyone know if any of these flash memory-based projectors have inputs for starting the video? This would be great for integrating with a VSA routine. I know Mark Goodson did this last year using the Medusa DMX, but I think he had to hack a DVD player to get the video triggered by the board.

- Hook

1 - 20 of 30 Posts