Halloween Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got a PVC/foam mine cart with a skeleton head, arms, and legs sticking out of it. I've been putting a tarp in it to cover up the emptiness in the middle, but would like to make it look full of rock. Any ideas on how I could make rock with maybe some shiny (led-lit, perhaps) gold? I've thought of crinkling up some gallon milk jugs and spray painting, but I don't love the idea.

·
aka Halloweenqueen
1,435 Posts
Why not spray paint regular patio bricks. I can usually find them at Home Depot for around 80 cents a piece. We had mine carts last year and painted bricks looked great!

·
Registered
503 Posts
Packing popcorn or crumpled colored cellophane which could have light strings under it.

I bought a large bag of solid color sea glass from a landscape center - it's often used to replicate water. It was much less expensive than buying small bags from a store. You can get them in mixed colors or solid colors - Mixed glass would probably look like gems.

sea-glass06.jpg

Garden Crushed Recycled Glass Mulch 11.jpg

·
Registered
112 Posts
Irregular pieces of foam board work great. Paint with latex paint first (any color that you have), then spray paint gold. If your foam is thin, glue pieces together first to make chunks.

·
Registered
170 Posts
You could crumple up foil and spray paint it. You could get cheap landscape rock and spray paint but I assume you want something lighter. Ever done paper mâché? That would probably be my route. A little newspaper, a little glue, and lots of spray paint. You'd really only need the top layer to actually look like coal and gold too. You could fill up the bottom with crumpled up newspaper and just put a small amount of your fake coal and gold on top.
Good luck! Post pics!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts