Halloween Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Shadow box dancer
1,443 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK I am building a mine cart. I was inspired by fellow Hauntforum member Wyatt Furr. I personally have never seen a mine cart in person and have no idea what size they typically are. I need my cart to be sort of smaller then what I think they might typically be. So my question is if anyone knows an approximate size for a mine cart. I have built a frame and it seems kind of small, but I think it is about as big as it can be for where it will be in my yard haunt. But, before I finish it out I was wondering if I should make it bigger. So far it is 17" tall, 22" long on the top, 18" long on the bottom, and 16" or so wide. Here is a pic. Any help on size would be greatly appreciated.

·
Insert Witty Comment Here
4,484 Posts
watch the second Indiana Jones movie, they have mine carts in it.

I think the only reason size would matter on it is if you are putting someone in it.

·
Shadow box dancer
1,443 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
LisaLisa also mentioned the Indian Jones movies. I will just have some bones sticking out of it so I don't think I need to make it any bigger. However if I decide to have another one that is more in the forefront of the yard haunt, how big should it be? Are real life mine carts as big as the ones they use in movies? Or should I just make a movie sized one because that is what people are used to seeing?

·
Mill Creek Haunted Hollow
6,359 Posts
Okay, so you're looking for technical information regarding minecarts.

Mine carts have been around for several centuries and have come in a wide variety of shapes and sizes. Here is a small collage of minecarts.

Here is what Wikipedia.org has to say about minecarts:

The minecart is a transportation tool for moving ore and materials in the process of mining. Minecarts are no longer used in modern operations. Shaped like large, rectangular buckets, minecarts are set upon metal tracks so they can be pushed or pulled by things (men, animals, or engines) much lighter than their contents. Minecarts range in size and usage; however, they are often viewed as being made completely of metal for hauling ore. Throughout the world, there are different titles for such carts.

·
Shadow box dancer
1,443 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks TK. I saw most of those when I originally did a Goolge image search for "mine carts", but it is great to see them all in one place. Hopefully this will be helpful for others wanting to make mine carts. I think I am going to stick with a wood cart. Not really for any other reason then when I envision a mine cart in my mind I see a wood cart. :) I was actually kind of using the image that is second in the second row(the one that seems to be under a roof) for my cart. In all my searching I never really found any dimensions, so I think I will stick with my smaller version. Even the wiki says they come in all shapes and sizes. ;) Makes it easier to store as well. :rolleyes: Wyatt Furr used styrofoam for his cart. But I think I am going to stick with pallet boards for mine.

·
6,359 Posts
Sounds good. You have a lot of freedom in your design and build due to the broad spectrum of minecarts available.

What are you going to do for wheels? Are you going to build a small track?

·
Shadow box dancer
1,443 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Sounds good. You have a lot of freedom in your design and build due to the broad spectrum of minecarts available.

What are you going to do for wheels? Are you going to build a small track?
I am going to build some sort of track. The wheels are still to be determined. I was thinking of taking the rubber part off of the front wheels of a lawn mower. That would leave just the plastic part that has lips on both sides.

·
Shadow box dancer
1,443 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
OK this is kind of off topic, but I was pretty stoked to find this. I don't know what someone used it for, but it was a great find. Once I took it apart I had two 6' 2x4's and fifteen 24" 2x4's. Plus they had put it together with 2" drywall screws, so I got 3 or 4 dozen really nice drywall screws. :)

I am sure I will use them for something.

·
6,359 Posts
Oh, man! Nice find.

You could use the 24" 2x4s as RR ties, and rip the eight footers to use as the tracks. Or put all the 24" on one side and use it as a section of boardwalk or a fun little bridge.

·
Shadow box dancer
1,443 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Oh, man! Nice find.

You could use the 24" 2x4s as RR ties, and rip the eight footers to use as the tracks. Or put all the 24" on one side and use it as a section of boardwalk or a fun little bridge.
Not a bad idea. I think I am going to use pallet boards for the "rail road ties" and I am still holding out to find some square steel tubing to use as the "track". I may just leave the cart sitting somewhere in the yard haunt so I don't have to make a track section. :rolleyes: I assume these 2x4's will get used for framing of something in the future. :)

·
Registered
453 Posts
YHJ,
Looks great!
The cart is coming along nicely.
I also used pallet boards for my "RR ties"
For the track, I found some foam stripping that was used to pack furniture with.
It just happened to look like rail ! There are thin garden stakes under it for support.
Do you have a router?
You could possibly use a 2x2 and carve the sides down to resemble rails and slap some silver paint on it.
Just throwing out some ideas for you.
You got more done this week than I did..........LOL

·
Shadow box dancer
1,443 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
YHJ,
Looks great!
The cart is coming along nicely.
I also used pallet boards for my "RR ties"
For the track, I found some foam stripping that was used to pack furniture with.
It just happened to look like rail ! There are thin garden stakes under it for support.
Do you have a router?
You could possibly use a 2x2 and carve the sides down to resemble rails and slap some silver paint on it.
Just throwing out some ideas for you.
You got more done this week than I did..........LOL
Yeah, that is about all I got done though. ;) I was hoping to find some wheels. I normally start getting lawn mowers this time of year when people start pulling them out and realize they don't work. I also normally get BBQ's, but I have not got one in a while. I think some BBQ wheels might work as well. I am leaning towards your idea of a wood rail routed to look like a track.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Nice!!! Where did you find that? don't tell me you found that on the side of the freeway, too!?!! I have never known anyone to find so many things on the side of the freeway as you. I love it. You are my gem.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts