Halloween Forum banner

1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Mill Creek Haunted Hollow
6,359 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This coming weekend is the community yard sale where all in the neigborhood are invited to put out their wares. It's a great opportunity to get the word out for the yard haunt. I'll have the cider hut and the mausoleum out, and I was thinking I would put out a yard sign, similar to a "for sale" sign, at the end of our driveway.

My thought is to print out this poster I made, and then shellac it onto a cut sign board. The sign I hope to build will be around 18" x 22".

·
Registered
13,899 Posts
Nice sign TK421. Love the atmosphere it creates. I like your idea of promoting the haunt during the yard sale. I remember last year someone said they made up either postcards or business cards that advertised their haunt so that people could take the info with them. I think they also set up a website people could visit. Maybe something worth considering.

·
6,359 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I've got a web site that descibes the haunt. I want to do more with it, but for now it gives the basic information.

I also have fliers that I print up. I'm going to print up a whole bunch of them to have on hand for the community garage sale on Saturday.

Below is my flier from last year. This year, I'm going to use the new graphics (the haunted town) but the information provided will be the same.

·
Pirate of the Puget Sound
715 Posts
Excellent sign!!
Just remember, when you do this much PR, you should expect a lot of visitors come 10/31.
Be ready to handle the extra crowds!

TK421, PM me the details of the community yard sale. I will have to stop by and check out your creations.

·
Registered
453 Posts
I'm going tomorrow so I get first dibs!
I'll take 1 cider shack, and a tavern to go! Not sure how I'll strap em on the bike though!
Awesome sign, may have to hire ya to do mine...

·
6,359 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Excellent sign!!
Just remember, when you do this much PR, you should expect a lot of visitors come 10/31.
Be ready to handle the extra crowds!

TK421, PM me the details of the community yard sale. I will have to stop by and check out your creations.
I'm really hoping to get a good turnout this year. That's one of the main reasons I am trying to advertise early.

·
6,359 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Ok, redesigned the shape of the sign. I felt the old shape was too similar to the Slaughtered Lamb sign.

Here's the new design.

My plan is to print out the sign at 18" x 22" and gently tear the edge, then I'll glue the printed sign to a 1/2" piece of wood cut out in the same shape and painted black. Then I'll shellac the whole sign.

Do they make a flat shellac? Or some other flat sealer? Maybe a flat, clear enamel.

·
Typical Ghoul Next Door
7,076 Posts
Beautiful signage - I love the shaping. The illustration is so old world - lovely!

I usually get polyurethane in a small 1/2 pint can (Minwax) and just brush it over. I'm 99% sure that you can get a matte (flat) finish in either a brush-on or spray.

·
Typical Ghoul Next Door
7,076 Posts
Polycrylic Protective Finish - Water-Based Clear Protective Finishes

Found it ^

and it does come in the spray. It's a better value to get it in the can, tho. :rolleyes: (can you tell I'm cheap?)

They have it in oil-based as well (I got that by mistake and almost ruined a sink rinsing the brush...:mad: )

It looks like you'd be looking for the satin finish, but if it does come out too shiny, you could always hit it with a fine grade sandpaper or steel wool to dull the shine.

:)

·
Registered
207 Posts
Wow this sign looks great! Where did you get the town image from? I may have to borrow a similar image like that for my haunt! :)

·
6,359 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Polycrylic Protective Finish - Water-Based Clear Protective Finishes

It looks like you'd be looking for the satin finish, but if it does come out too shiny, you could always hit it with a fine grade sandpaper or steel wool to dull the shine.

:)
Fantastic!!

Thank you so much for the link -- it really helps to see what I'm looking for when I go to the store.

I spent today cutting, printing, glueing, etc. But first thing tomorrow morning I'll hit Lowes and pick up a can.

·
6,359 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
The first thing I did was print out the outline of the sign onto several pieces of paper. I taped the pieces together and then cut out the shape to use as a template.

Here's the plywood all cut out (I used a jigsaw).

The sign with edges sanded and spray painted flat black.

The sign with the "poster" printed, cut, and glued on. To marry the paper to the edge I used more of the flat spray paint to blend the edges.

The sign looks the same on both sides. My plan is to hang it out at the end of the driveway on a post I built Monday.

Tomorrow morning I will go to Lowes and pick up the Polycrylic Protective Finish that Frankie's Girl suggested.

·
Mourning Rose Manor
2,318 Posts
1 - 20 of 56 Posts