Halloween Forum banner

Milk JUg Luminaries

Static: 
3K views 11 replies 4 participants last post by  StanFam3 
#1 ·
Wine bottle Drink Bottle Winery

I'm planning on doing this with my kids and grandkids. They are already saving empty milk jugs. Is there anything I can add to the water in the jugs to maximize the effect of the glow sticks?

See less See more
Discussion starter · #4 ·
I added some dish soap the other day and it helped some.
Blue Black Light Electric blue Darkness

I tried glycerin last night and it seemed to help a lot. But the water was warm at this point too. I'm not sure if that made a difference.
Green Light Lighting Technology Laser

Discussion starter · #7 ·
I need to quit switching colors to be sure. That green one was a whole lot brighter than the others. I think the warm water probably had the biggest effect. It will be room temp after work and I'll do another green to see.

Discussion starter · #9 ·
Green Light Lighting Technology Photography

This is glycerin at room temp. not as bright as the warm water green but brighter than the original blue. I think the glycerin helps but warm water seems to be the biggest factor. Being in NE Ohio, I don't think I can keep them warm so I will go with the glycerin and maybe a couple of drops of dish soap for what it's worth. I would be interested if foil helps.

Discussion starter · #10 ·
Blue Cobalt blue Electric blue Light Sky

Left hand is the original. Right hand is blue with the glycerin added. not much difference.
Blue Black Violet Sky Darkness

This is glycerin added plus about 3/4 L of tonic water. This was a suggestion from my 7 year old grandson and it didn't help much. I think the color is the biggest factor and we may be going with tap water. We will still be way cooler than the neighbors.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.