Halloween Forum banner
1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Pretty sweet deal- Giant foam carveable pumpkin at Michael's. Originally marked 49.99, which I believe is already half off of what the special order price at www.funkins. com is, an extra 40% no coupon, and you can use the 15% coupon on top of it. With tax it was $32 and some change. So we saved around $68 by finding them at Michael's instead of ordering a giant one off of Funkin's website. I believe they are the same 'giant" size, if not exactly, then comparable.

The story of why I decided to buy a giant pumpkin in stead of finishing the one I was working on- I have been obsessed with giant pumpkin sentinels since I saw them at Halloween Horror Nights in 2008. A few years ago I saw Pumpkinrot's sentinels, this year I saw the ode to Pumpkinrot tutorial on this forum. So, although I kind of suck at crafting I decided to try it. I made a pretty decent giant pumpkin w/ my husband. After one layer of paper mache I was to he point of remembering why I hate paper mache, and dreading 3 more layers. Then I could not decide to do monster mud or try plasti dip, either way it was going to be a ton more work. So while I was at Michael's my husband convinced me to buy the large pumpkin, and just to make the rest of the sentinel this first time. The Michael's pumpkin is slightly shorter (squatter) then the one I made, but I don't think it matters too much, considering the considerably less amount of work I will have to do to get one giant sentinel made. I do plan on finishing the second one eventually, since the "ode to pumkinrot" thread ones came out so amazing, and I do feel like a bit of a cheater.

I think these pumpkins could be useful in a ton of scenarios, and I will continue to buy them if the price stays this low, just until my husband makes me a giant mold to make our own. :) The benefits of being married to a special fx artist hehe. Giant pumpkins for everyone!

p.s. the last picture of both pumpkins, my pumpkin looks extra crappy from this particular angle, lol they are actually pretty similar in shape and size except mine is about an inch taller. I don't know why this pic came out so weird. :cool:

Attachments

·
Registered
436 Posts
I just bought one of these on Friday. I only paid $29.99 for mine. The girl told me it was 40% off, so they adjusted the price for me. It rang up at $34.99, but she fixed it since she told me it was 40% off. It isn't the same size as the Funkins "Short Giant" that PumpkinRot uses. But, it is fairly close. The Michael's pumpkin measures about 20 inches wide by 12 inches tall. I believe the Funkins "Short Giant" measures 26 inches wide by 18 inches tall. So it's 6 inches shorter in both dimensions. I don't care for the less than realistic stem (I think I will replace it with one I will make out of paper clay) on the Michael's pumpkin. But, for the price, it can't be beat. It's a great deal even at $34.99. The price tag on the pumpkin indicates a retail price of $49.99. If it isn't on sale, just use the online coupon on Michael's website for 40% off. I will probably get a few more at that price. It will definitely save a lot of time from making one out of paper mâché.

·
Registered
436 Posts
I didn't factor in the tax on mine. So, I probably paid the same amount as you. But they were ringing up for $34.99 before tax at the store I was at. Maybe they had the wrong price entered into their system??? Regardless, still a great deal.

·
Master of Disaster
1,516 Posts
That's a great deal. I REALLY wanted to get the 26 inch funkin, but @ $99.00 I just couldn't do it. On top of that I was going to carve it. I just didn't have the nerve to spend well over $100 (plus a hefty shipping fee) and then risk making a mistake in the carving. 30 bucks, I could live with.

I made this one, which is over 26 inches using dollar store punch bowls, great stuff foam, shaping, carving, corpsing and painting.
Head Carving Pumpkin Jack-o'-lantern Mouth

Not perfect but I like the cost.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Great deal, Mandy!! As much as I enjoy how they turn out, the papier mache pumpkin heads are the worst! They do get monotonous, and having to deal with all the little "dents" of the pumpkin...ugh. We always discuss buying the funkins, but can never get ourselves to spend that much $ for them. Next time I'm in Michaels I'll have to look for the one you have in your picture. It'll look great! Rats that was just in there and didn't see one.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Hey everyone! Quick update, these pumpkins are NOT hollow!! So I bought a new styro foam cutter (have broken a few getting a bit over zealous hehe). I used another Micheal's coupon for 40% off and got it for around $12 with tax. I had my hubby draw his face on and then we got to carving it. Not sure exactly how we will do lights yet, if we will cut a cavity behind all his features or what. I also bought these cool little submersible floral lights I plan on sticking in his face, with another 40% coupon of course. :) Had my DH come w/ me so we could buy at the same time! Also started assembling his 'frozen turkey" body and ribs etc. onto the pvc and base. Pics soon!

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Here is an update of our Pumpkin carved and painted black. He'll get another coat, some detailing and also a coat of lacquer. Body is coming along. Bought more wire for his arms today and tape. Sure does take a TON of tape!! Orange Calabaza Jack-o'-lantern Carving Winter squash
:) We decided to make him taller today and to add another arm. He's coming along nicely! Baseball glove Personal protective equipment

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
The body started out as a garbage bag full of paper. Now covered in masking tape and more newspaper. We actually did a bunch of improvements last night making him more medically accurate. We added scapulas, a second arm, fingers. Can't wait to attach the head! We need to paper mache, monster mud and seal soon. Ill post a new pic as soon as I get back home later this morning :)

·
Registered
436 Posts
Just saw the Sunday paper sale add for "Michael's". They have all their pumpkins on sale this week for 50% off in my area. I can only assume this sale is nation wide.

·
Registered
436 Posts
By the way. The carving looks great Mandythered. Nice job. I thought my pumpkin felt a little heavy when I bought it. I wondered if it was hollow or not. Now I know. I still haven't carved mine yet. I think I might try and use my dremel? Not sure yet?

1 - 20 of 50 Posts