Halloween Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

Hey all, rookie builder here...just completed my first 2 props for Halloween. Super excited on how they turned out...anyone have any insight on how to get Michael to stand up and stay still? He’s PVC and at each joint is connected, I’ve also screwed his shoes into a piece of plywood. Prob is he feels a little too heavy - he has more fill at the top than in his legs and I’m afraid he’ll fall over in the wind. Plan is to rebar his platform in the ground so he can’t fall over, but what about bend at the waist...I feel I’m missing something to better secure him in place. Welcome any and all feedback/comments! Thank you!

·
Typical Ghoul Next Door
6,801 Posts
If you have Michael's feet attached to a piece of plywood, can you set some weights (like flat barbell weights) on it and then cover with black dollar store tablecloths or trashbags? Or go get a few bags of sand/soil? I'd extend a piece of wood out behind him attached to his foot plywood and put the weights behind him then cover them with something that blends into the ground/back (like the black plastic.

But they both look fantastic, especially if those are your first prop builds! :D

·
Registered
1,482 Posts
Did you connect each joint with PVC glue or screws? Doing one or the other to joints will help keep the pipe from twisting and turning inside each connection point. I usually use size 6 or 8 machine screws with washers and nuts to secure most of my connections. I drill a hole all the way through the connectors and pipes run a bolt through and then secure with the nuts. That way I can take the props apart for storage.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Did you connect each joint with PVC glue or screws? Doing one or the other to joints will help keep the pipe from twisting and turning inside each connection point. I usually use size 6 or 8 machine screws with washers and nuts to secure most of my connections. I drill a hole all the way through the connectors and pipes run a bolt through and then secure with the nuts. That way I can take the props apart for storage.
Thank you for this. A simple reminder to self that I will need to screw the joints together.
If you have Michael's feet attached to a piece of plywood, can you set some weights (like flat barbell weights) on it and then cover with black dollar store tablecloths or trashbags? Or go get a few bags of sand/soil? I'd extend a piece of wood out behind him attached to his foot plywood and put the weights behind him then cover them with something that blends into the ground/back (like the black plastic.

But they both look fantastic, especially if those are your first prop builds! :D
thank you!!

·
It's pronounced "Fronkensteen."
537 Posts
I have a big prop that was a little too unstable, especially in the wind. I've done stakes, weights on the feet platforms were too visible. I found these earth anchorsat the local hardware store. I put a notch into one of the plywood feet and put this all the way into the ground, NO WAY this is coming out, and it disappears behind the foot/leg. I put a second one farther back and used black Paracord to tie to it. Cord cannot be seen unless you look for it.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

here’s what my set up looks
Like. Rookie builder...first fence, first Michael and Samara
definitely learned a lot this year and sure glad I found this forum. Thanks for the suggestions.
I already have a ton of ideas for next year LOL

·
Registered
1,482 Posts
View attachment 723816
here’s what my set up looks
Like. Rookie builder...first fence, first Michael and Samara
definitely learned a lot this year and sure glad I found this forum. Thanks for the suggestions.
I already have a ton of ideas for next year LOL
Looks great, not bad for a "rookie builder", though IMO it doesn't look like a rookie set up to me.

This forum is awesome. So many amazing builds, tutorials, inspirations, and help. You will find ideas swirling in your head that will have you building and creating for years. Get yourself a notebook or set up a folder on your computer to put ideas into. Write down the Title of any post on the forum that helped inspire you so that you can find it easier to reference later. Save images and any instructions for builds that you might want to try as one never knows when another update on the forum may cause them to disappear.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Looks great, not bad for a "rookie builder", though IMO it doesn't look like a rookie set up to me.

This forum is awesome. So many amazing builds, tutorials, inspirations, and help. You will find ideas swirling in your head that will have you building and creating for years. Get yourself a notebook or set up a folder on your computer to put ideas into. Write down the Title of any post on the forum that helped inspire you so that you can find it easier to reference later. Save images and any instructions for builds that you might want to try as one never knows when another update on the forum may cause them to disappear.
Funny you suggest that I started screenshots of ideas and than I was like OMG how am I ever going to find them all!!! LOL...I have a large upstairs window that faces the street and I found the Werewolf build from Stolloween’s blog on HD...there goes the mind again, racing with ideas!!
Thanks for the tips and compliment and Happy Halloween!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts