Halloween Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello again, I finally bit the bullet and bought an Epson projector along with a Micca Speck for my SD cards loaded with AtmosFX scenes. Looked great until I started getting the green flash screen (only for scenes with multiple files) during looping. I read another thread about this issue but it involved coding and editing through a program. Bottom line, I suck at that kind of stuff. Is there another media player that would do the trick? I noticed AtmosFX sells their own media player (sold out currently) but it appears to be an AGPtek 1080p (at least the older version was). Anyone have any input on it or how to easily correct the issue without hiring someone from Silicon Valley? I don't need a seamless loop but the green screen is an ambience killer and there's no way I'm rolling with that! Thanks in advance for any responses.

·
Registered
328 Posts
If you know anyone who is a coder, have them add some code to the video file so it loops on it's own. Fortunately I have a son who does this for me. This way when the video player reads the file, it never sees an end. If you don't know anyone, search Fiverr.com.

·
Registered
530 Posts
I'd like more info on this, like, what video file format supports this, what is the code or tag used in the video editor or file, etc. I'm not an expert (by any means), but I have worked with video quite a bit and have never encountered this ability to cause a video to loop from within the video itself. As far as I'm aware, it's a player dependent option only (which includes HTML5 players). However, if this ability does exist, I'd love to know its secret!

·
Registered
328 Posts
I'd like more info on this, like, what video file format supports this, what is the code or tag used in the video editor or file, etc. I'm not an expert (by any means), but I have worked with video quite a bit and have never encountered this ability to cause a video to loop from within the video itself. As far as I'm aware, it's a player dependent option only (which includes HTML5 players). However, if this ability does exist, I'd love to know its secret!
This is something you need an experienced coder to do. It can not be done with simple video editing software. When your Media Player reads a file or DVD, it reads code to display your video. When it reaches the end of the video, there is code at the end of the file that tells the player to stop playing. A way to trick the player into looping is to tell it to go back to the first packets of data once it reaches the end. The player is dumb. It only does what the code tells it to. To avoid having a green screen, it's also good to write code that tells the player to hold the last image for a brief moment while it jumps back to the first frame. Basically you're telling the player to continue to display an image in hold until you tell it to do something else. Have you ever watched a digital broadcast and experienced tiling or digital square artifacts on the screen? It's something similar happening. The TV is only displaying what it was last told to do. This can get into a very deep technical explanation, but I'll leave it here. You will hear from others that this can't be done because "X" brand of player can't loop. It has nothing to do with the player. I have DVDs that loop this way as well as video files on SD cards. Imagine the code as being a piece of tape and your fingers as a media player. With the tape as a straight piece, you can run through your fingers until you get to the end, then you stop. But if you loop the tape at the ends, you can run it through your fingers forever.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'm even less of a non-expert but I don't see any way around this with the Micca Speck options without altering the existing files. I googled Micca Speck green flash and a thread for this site came up in the search with the OP having the same difficulties and the same members replying (thank you). I don't know why the company would implement a green screen ( looks like it's from the matrix) between loops. You'd think a solid black screen would be used for transition subtleness but I don't know how that works.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Again thanks to the members replying to a question they've answered before but the conversation regarding coding and formatting is over my head. You'd think that spending the kind of money you need to to pull this effect off would be enough but I guess that's life!

·
Registered
3,404 Posts
I've heard talk of this "magical" method of coding a video to loop and I have never seen any concrete evidence that it can be done. In fact, I've read articles that make a very good point about this being a risky thing to do. If you were to insert some type of code at the end of a video that causes it to return back to the beginning, when you try to copy that file onto an SD card or burn it to a DVD, the copy process will never end because the PC never sees the end of the file. I don't claim to be a guru when comes to video coding but this explaination makes very good sense to me. BTW, the firmware of the Media Player can take care of seamless looping if it's designed to do so.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I ran into this same issue with my Micca Speck and I too am not a coder. My fix was to take the multiple videos I use, combine them all together in a movie making software (easily available online), repeating the sequence multiple times in the movie software to create a 2 hour long movie and rendering it. This way the video only loops once maybe twice on the Micca. Worked like a charm.

·
Registered
530 Posts
Barring another solution, I would have done the same. AtmosFX just came out with their new media player and I emailed them asking about the "gap" between videos. They replied there is no gap. So, I pre-ordered one. We'll see how well it does.

I ran into this same issue with my Micca Speck and I too am not a coder. My fix was to take the multiple videos I use, combine them all together in a movie making software (easily available online), repeating the sequence multiple times in the movie software to create a 2 hour long movie and rendering it. This way the video only loops once maybe twice on the Micca. Worked like a charm.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I now have two media players. The green flash screen occurs using both of them. Odd thing is, it occurs between random scenes (files), not specific ones. However I hooked one of the media players to my television and I got no green flash screen. This tells me it has something to do with the projector.

·
Registered
530 Posts
UPDATE: The AtmosFX media player does have the gaps between files. It's black, but about 1-2 annoying seconds of black screen. Apparently, they misinformed me about how the media player worked. Another issue with it is when using the trigger; it often gets stuck on the same file. IOW, it won't advance to the next file in the folder.

That's two strikes, which is too bad, as they could have made a killing in sales if they had done it right.

I like their digital decorations, but I don't think I'll be buying any more of their hardware, especially given the "no return" policy they have.

AtmosFX just came out with their new media player and I emailed them asking about the "gap" between videos. They replied there is no gap. So, I pre-ordered one. We'll see how well it does.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
At least it's black. I'd be okay with that. What projector do you have? Mine is an Epson Powerlite 740HD. I had two cheap projectors with SD capability and never ran into this issue. It's driving me nuts. Thinking of returning it for an Optoma to see if there's any difference.

·
Registered
3,404 Posts
The problem with the black screen is that it completely ruins the effect of most video props. The Living Portraits for example, you want the portrait to seamlessly morph into the next scene. If the player goes to a black screen, you've just lost the illusion of a picture coming to life.

·
Registered
530 Posts
I'm running it through a TV set up vertically for the "Unliving Portraits." They are high quality animations, IMHO, but not so much on their hardware. Really glad I didn't buy their projector.

At least it's black. I'd be okay with that. What projector do you have? Mine is an Epson Powerlite 740HD. I had two cheap projectors with SD capability and never ran into this issue. It's driving me nuts. Thinking of returning it for an Optoma to see if there's any difference.

·
Registered
530 Posts
Exactly right. IF they could have removed the black screen and IF the player would have advanced to the next file, it would have been an awesome effect to use with the trigger. Had it worked correctly, the portrait would have stayed paused at the beginning of the video until triggered, then play the clip, then load the next file and pause, setting it up for a different video the next time it was triggered.

Now, I'll be running a continuous video of all the clips to avoid the black gap. It won't be as cool as a triggered effect, but close enough. Maybe next year I'll have the time and budget to get into a better media player and trigger set up.

The problem with the black screen is that it completely ruins the effect of most video props. The Living Portraits for example, you want the portrait to seamlessly morph into the next scene. If the player goes to a black screen, you've just lost the illusion of a picture coming to life.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts