Halloween Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,088 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Peak viewing for the Perseid Meteors is Tuesday night the 11th into Wednesday morning the 12th between midnight and dawn. They say if you can see the stars of the Little Dipper you should be able to see the meteors as we pass through the wreakage of a comet. There may be as many as 100 per hour during peak, although the moon may cause us not to see some. I'm going out tonight to try to get a sneak peek.

·
Reaper Queen
8,652 Posts
I heard the weather guy by me talk about this, have seen it other years, but they say 3 - 6 in the morning are peak, I may have to get up a bit early, ususally get up about 5:50, will try to get up a bit early, I love seeing them!

·
The Big Kahuna of Fright
4,329 Posts
If you're at all interested in things like this, you won't want to miss this years version of the Perseids. Apparently we'll be in for a real show. This shower, also known as the "Seven Sisters" (for the number of stars in the Perseids) is also big in Japan. The Japanese call the constellation "Subaru", and the seven stars are featured in the logo of the Auto maker of the same name.

·
Reaper
3,611 Posts
YES! Going out to watch them now! Was just going to put up a thread but glad to see one is already here :D

·
Zombie Hunter
20,479 Posts
Went out at 3 am.Saw quite a few shooting around.

·
Lord of the Cemetery
2,081 Posts
Stay indoors and don't look at 'em!

You'll all end up blind and get eaten by walking pot plants or something!!

·
Registered
1,088 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I was out at 11:00p, 1:00a and 3:30a and saw about 5 total. We have alot of smoke from fires and haze, plus the moon is bright so I thought that was pretty good. I'll take another look tonight for leftovers. Don't worry, Baron, I'll look out for the plants, that is, if I can still see! LOL.

·
Registered
1,168 Posts
It was cloudy around here whilst I was up, but it cleared...shame I went to bed by then. 'Mr' Freudstein is keen on stars etc, and even has a telescope, so we would have been able to have a close up great view, though he was up early for work this morning so dont think he saw it either.

Will see if any friends have posted pics online, and if I find any I might just have to "borrow" them;)

·
Registered
1,199 Posts
We saw lots last (wednesday) night after 9.30pm, different colours, big ones, little ones most coming from the northern horizon. A free light show, cool!

·
Registered
2,519 Posts
i had a nice relaxing evening last night in my rocking chair by the pool, the sky here in the country was very bright and saw a few really nice ones , listning to the sound of the river in back , chassing frogs out of the pool , looking at bats doing flights over the pool , what more can you ask for in a warm summer relaxing evening :)

·
Registered
1,088 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Annea, sounds like you had a good view in France. A witch from Canada, what a great summer night. Thanks for those interesting pics, Otaku, you'd think with all the money those missions cost they'd buy a camera that took color pics, wouldn't you?

I went in the hot tub early before the moon came up and saw 5 meteors. Later I came out and moved my swing into the yard for a better view of the sky and all was well until the sprinklers came on! LOL. Once I moved the swing back on the patio, I saw another 6 meteors. I'm going to see if there's any stragglers tonight.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts