Halloween Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2,519 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i would like to make another lab table but i would like it to be looking like it is in metal or stainless .....

is there something on the market that is less expensive then stainless sheets ? i know i could only paint it metalic color but since it is a font display table i would like more realistic but if the material is too expensive i might go with the paint idea :(

·
Registered
94 Posts
just a thought...

did you look into covering an old table in Tin?. OR spray paint gray with a speckle of silver and maybe a pantene effect? You can do a LOT with the right paints.... just look at liza minillie (sp?)

·
Banned
535 Posts
Ill second what lilgeek said about paint but i would glue down some sheet metal on the table with spray adhesive. They have some real thin stuff out at lowes that is cheap in metal department easy to cut with a pair of snips.

·
Registered
1,713 Posts
A couple years ago I got some rolls of stainless steel-look adhesive paper like contact paper. It does look like stainless steel. It was sold in the section where shelf liner is. I haven't noticed if they still carry it. It was from Menards--so maybe a home improvement store would have it.

·
Registered
2,519 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
ok great ideas , i will have to look tis week for sheet metal , that would be y first option if thats cheap :) tin foil maybe but will rip easly if something scratches it ?

the ikea table top is close to the size i need but a little expensive , wich i seen that earlier this year i would have defnatly spend $ for it `:)

·
Registered
2,519 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
How about aluminnum foil, if carful when putting it on it will blend and look like a solid metal table
i tried and it creases when glued :(

would something (product) seal the alluminum foil like a varnish so it wouldnt get scratched or damadged each time something moves on the table ?

·
Registered
2 Posts
A couple years ago I got some rolls of stainless steel-look adhesive paper like contact paper. It does look like stainless steel. It was sold in the section where shelf liner is. I haven't noticed if they still carry it. It was from Menards--so maybe a home improvement store would have it.
Saw this at my local Home Depot the other day, also located in the shelving section. Looked pretty decent and was pretty cheap.
Home Depot_Stainless steel contact vinyl

·
Registered
2,519 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Saw this at my local Home Depot the other day, also located in the shelving section. Looked pretty decent and was pretty cheap.
Home Depot_Stainless steel contact vinyl
ok will be doing some shopping tomorow and look for that and see how well it would work , i will also look for sheet metal to see if my hardware stores carries that here.

thanks everyone for all the great ideas :)

·
Registered
530 Posts
What about using silver foil X-mas wrap? Stores are starting to get their X-mas stuff out all over. It's thicker than tin foil, relatively cheap and you can attach it using spray glue.
If you want something thicker, I've seen bristol board that is metailc on one side and colored on the other in some dollar stores. Or that have the "brushed" silver look on one side and gold on the other.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts