Halloween Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know some people play death metal rock music in thier haunts. I was at one and the had Metallica playing all through the haunt and it was very effective for creating a scary mood. How many of you use that as your music?

·
Registered
453 Posts
I used Dragula by Rob Zombie, most of the older kids loved it, mostof the parents, not so much.
Depends on your crowd and your tastes I guess.

·
Master of Scaremonies
6,363 Posts
I agree, it depends on what kind of mood you are going for and whether it works for your haunt. I never have done that when we do our TOT night and all, but I have suggested doing it. I think like Lite says older kids would dig it, younger kids would probably have no idea what was going on and parent would hate it. Hmmm then maybe that would be a good thing.

Definitely sets a mood and separates you from the "Monster Mash" crowd.

(Note to everyone I AM one of those in the MM crowd, so I'm not slamming anyone! lol).

·
Registered
76 Posts
Nickanap,
Obviously not too many metal fans on this site, which I find surprising really. But Metallica are not and never were Death Metal. For something more unusual, try looking up Gothic Metal, this will range from hardcore black metal, such as Cradle of Filth and Moonspell through to symphonic rock, such as Within Temptation or Epica for more atmospheric tracks. If you have a particular thing about dwarves or vikings, try scandanavian folk metal, such as Korpiklaani, with songs such Wooden Pints or Beer Beer.

Most people would probably not appreciate the subtleties, but then I expect a lot of the detail gets lost in a really good haunt, as hopefully most people are too scared to notice which band is playing the background music!

·
Banned
101 Posts
If your doing a yard haunt .. I would highly suggest utilizing music thats appropriate and NOT loud . Last thing you want is Johny Law knocking on your door and closing you down due to improper words in your song choice , or music that is too loud . ( funny thing about music/sounds - if its liked , its tolerated , but , if its disliked ... no matter HOW low you have it , they WILL complain ! )
I , myself , even though might like some of that music , would not care to hear it for a Halloween haunt .
Picking the right atmosphere music can sometimes be difficult , BUT , even though it might be the style/type music YOU like , please keep your ToT's in mind and try to please all .
Your best bet is to do some abient music .... creating an atmosphere , rather than your music being the center of attention .
Again , don't take it that I am knocking your choice of music ... just try and think of things like -
If Metal music worked that well , why haven't places like Disney used it to try and scare the ba - jesus out of ya ?
Again just my opinion here .

·
Registered
594 Posts
I am a huge metal fan, Morbid Angel, Deicide, Red Cord, Dying Fetus, Dillinger Escape plan, etc......heck I play in a metal band!. But I think metal has no place in a haunt. I can remember the first time I heard metal in a pro haunt. They were piping in The Accussed with strobes in a disorienting room. All of a sudden the haunt went from scary to “cool”. I love The Accussed more than any one but it redirected fear into, hey, I know this song! It ruined the experience for me.

·
Haverghast Asylum warden.
800 Posts
I love metal. IMO metal is not scary or creepy( It's just realy good ,awsome music).
I'd say stick too midnight syndicate, Nox arcana, ect. I guess bands like Rob zombie,
cradel of filth ect, could work with certain themes or rooms. IDK.

·
Vlad the Impaler
1,302 Posts
I've been using it for quite a while now ever since I was first in the Haunted House at Six Flags and in a room they played the beautiful people by Manson. It sounded really good. I do a mix of metal and stuff like Nox Arcana. Rammstein is also good because most people have no idea what the language is and might sound really creepy. Best ones are Hallelujia and Ich Will. Of course I have the beautiful people. When I directed Dracula I coregraphed the entire vampire vs. human fight scene to The Beautiful People. people stood up and applauded. So when used right, it can be very effective.

·
Typical Ghoul Next Door
7,449 Posts
If it was me, I'd use Marilyn Manson, Necromantix or Horror Pops (last two are psychobilly, and probably a bit more kid/parent friendly).

I think hard metal/death metal might be overwhelming - but it might work if you're going for a phantasmagoric effect - sensory overload works well for fright.

Oh! Just remembered a group that would be really different but might work... Siouxie and the Banshees. Songs like: Skin, Eve White/Eve Black, Happy House (if you had a good echo effect), Tenant, Clockface, Red Light (this would be cool in a room with lots of strobes - photo effect), Pure (slow and creepy), Carcass, Helter Skelter, Suburban Relapse, Switch, The Staircase...

all of those could be repurposed for specific rooms, or just played for a general creepy effect.

·
Registered
289 Posts
I mostly have Midnight Syndicate playing but I'll also mix in some Slayer tunes. You can't get creepier than South of Heaven, Hell Awaits, or Bloodline.

·
Hauntless
8,374 Posts
This thread caught my interest because I am continuing my search to add more heavy metal music to my Halloween playlist. I am certainly going to check out the band suggestions.

Now, I rarely listened to Heavy Metal rock when I was younger and so I was surprised that when you blend it with a haunt, it's just what I needed. Here's my story...

I had a pleasant Aha! moment last year when I was making props. I put on my usual playlist (Nox Arcana, Midnight Syndicate) and had just loaded the new Midnight Syndicate CD: The Dead Matter. All of a sudden this song comes on and it was rock-type song with vocals....I loved it! Checked my new CD and it was called Not Your Savior. It was a bonus track on the CD. Basically it is a sexy, scary rock ballad.

So, I grabbed a few more songs like it on iTunes and added it to my playlist (Cry Little Sister by Aiden, Kingdom by Dave Gahan). I loved the way it lightened the too serious playlist I had previously and certainly sexed it up a bit. Then I found NIN (Nine Inch Nails): The Hand That Feeds. My head exploded! Perfect for adding a scary, unpredictable edge to my Halloween music. So, I plundered from their work: Survivialism, Capital G, Just Like you Imagined.

So, just when I thought I had THE PERFECT HALLOWEEN PLAYLIST....I FOUND....

wait for it.....

Rob Zombie! OH YEAH!

You want to mainline some awesome Halloween rock into your playlist? Just about anything he does is great, but here are the standouts: Dragula, Living Dead Girl, Never Gonna Stop, Superbeast, Feel So Numb, The Devil's Rejects.

Then I found Static-X (Cold, Push it), then Disturbed (Inside the Fire, The Night), then Black Lab (River of Joy, A Stone's Throw) .... their songs added a serious, hard, scary and sexy edge to my haunt without going gory (or x-rated).

For all these new songs I did realize that they must have a good melody. Many heavy metal songs can be just noise but there are some that are simply excellent Halloween music.

Now to round out my playlist I added trailer music (Ars Arcana, E.S. Posthumos, Kerry Muzzey), and soundtracks (Resident Evil, Saw, 300). Now I have a Halloween playlist that I think is perfect for the haunt.

·
Hauntless
8,374 Posts
Nickanap,
Obviously not too many metal fans on this site, which I find surprising really. But Metallica are not and never were Death Metal. For something more unusual, try looking up Gothic Metal, this will range from hardcore black metal, such as Cradle of Filth and Moonspell through to symphonic rock, such as Within Temptation or Epica for more atmospheric tracks. If you have a particular thing about dwarves or vikings, try scandanavian folk metal, such as Korpiklaani, with songs such Wooden Pints or Beer Beer.

Most people would probably not appreciate the subtleties, but then I expect a lot of the detail gets lost in a really good haunt, as hopefully most people are too scared to notice which band is playing the background music!
I checked out what you said and I really liked Within Temptation and Epica. Thanks for the suggestions!

·
Registered
1,199 Posts
Have a listen to; Bauhaus, queens of the stone age songs for the deaf album, Nick cave and the bad seeds, the cure, the cult, souixsie and the banshees. Not death metal but good for halloween parties!

·
livin Halloween every day
1,989 Posts

·
Banned
101 Posts
Sorry , but the only thing I liked about them , was , there used to be a Windows XP desktop picture that had their little demented pumpkin on it , but , I don't see it anymore ... but , anyway ... that was about the only thing I cared for that related to that group .

1 - 20 of 34 Posts