Halloween Forum banner

1 - 20 of 101 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
By popular request, I have started this Merchandise Watch 2009 UK! Anything seen for Halloween in the England, Scotland, Sunny Wales, Northern Island or any other part of the UK, post away. To sum up the forum which started this post, we agreed fans in the US have a much bigger selection, so it would be useful for us in the UK to share our knowledge so we can get great bargains.

Asda (The UK arm of US Giant Walmart) had a great selection in 2008. Larger stores usually have 2 aisles (that's FOUR WALLS) of kit. The good news is that if you don't live near Asda, or don't have time: You can sign up for home delivery at www.asda.com - I've used this and they're good - delivery in a 2hr slot etc. I guess Tesco and Sainsbury's are options too.
Matalan - many stores have a party corner which is a positively brimming cauldron of toys, gadgets, decorations and some very small props. I bought lots of stuff from here, including a flashing tombstone which was stolen during the night!
Pound Shops - great for cheap party decor and usually have body parts which are bloody.
Party Shops - pricey!

Online shops abound, most of us will be getting some things which you can only buy from the US or Canada (Hallowindow - Mark Gervais is unique).

All posters are asked to suggest stores or show photos of merchandise!

Here was my first purchase this year, from Ebay (UK) a giant grim reaper poster!:cool:
View attachment 4785

·
I'll get you my pretty!
550 Posts
TK MAXX (TJ MAXX in the US) has had really good halloween decorations the past couple of years too. lots of witches, jack o lantern stuff, halloween tree ornaments, gargoyles (suitable for outside & ranging from small to huge) and really nice ceramic dishes for serving food in. looking forward to seeing this year's selection :cool:

·
Lord of the Cemetery
2,081 Posts
When do these stores normally start getting their Halloween stuff in?

·
Devilishly Dutch
5,920 Posts
Thanks memamu for taking the Baron's suggestion and making it a Euro watch thread.....NOT!

That's ok, I'll just keep all the cool stuff I find in Holland to myself. :D

MsM

·
The Horror of The South
592 Posts
In the pound and 99p store they had some plastic pirate skull props....

They looked okay but i'd decided not to as they seemed a bit too cheap looking...

Ruggerz

·
Master of my own Universe
969 Posts
If anyone lives in the London area, I could recommend my Brother's shop. He has a fancy Dress/Costume business - Has Halloween costumes and small props but I am sure he could source other items if needed. PM me if you need contact details unless Larry gives the OK for me to post it here :D

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'm having a fire pit outside, and so I've bought some flame colour in packets, it turns the fire green & blue.... Ten packets cost a tenner £10 English Pounds! They last for about 40 minutes, so should be good. You could just use copper sulfate, but I'm no mad scientist so have to stick to the real stuff. The only thing I would say is the packets look smaller in real life than on the website, but otherwise the seller is fine. Mystical Fire Changing the colour of flames for sale in the UK from sat in a field.com
View attachment 4789

·
Lord of the Cemetery
2,081 Posts
I checked out Partydomain today, and it looks like they're expecting a lot of their stuff to be in stock around August 1st...

Fancy Dress

·
Registered
171 Posts
maplin currently have flame lamps on sale...
Replacement Diablo Flame : : Maplin
(i think is the link) could easily be used with a prop or by itself if hidden....

I think they also sell UV Bulbs and other misc stuff that could be used from props.

============

I'm also contemplating selling prints this year, maybe a few more Halloween related. Not sure if this counts as merch watch :S lol

·
Lord of the Cemetery
2,081 Posts
Maplins are a good source of electrical & electronic components for prop building.
I have ordered from them on line before and they offer very reasonable prices and good service.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
BARGAINS! MATALAN SALE! 75% OFF !

I got a text at 5.15 saying "just to let you know, Matalan have stuff on sale for Halloween". Here are the photos of the aisles, there was LOADS of stuff. I spent more than I planned, but probably saved loads, here's what I bought - there was lots which I didn't! This is probably clearing their stock for next season - but it's not like any of the products have 2009 written on them!
View attachment 5170
Scene Setters - all £1! They are the 'GIANT' kind. SCENE SETTER ROLE, £4.50
Foil Decorations, all types, hanging spider,
15metre Pennant Banner (Ghost) - £2.50!
3D Skull Grabber £3.
View attachment 5169
Razor Wire Door Curtain £2. I bought 2.
Skull with a big nail in it.
View attachment 5168
The hanging spiders on a plastic roll - can't find a pic, but you know the ones, £3.
View attachment 5166 Inflatable skeleton cooler (for beers etc) - this year I'm BYOB so needed one £7. On sale online now for £15 elsewhere.
Severed Fingers £1.50 for 4 fingers and a bloody thumb!
Gel Clingers, windows - general halloween, pumpkins etc, I got blood splats £2.50
Halloween Party Trophies from 75p to £1.50 plus Spider Plates etc. The Giant Spider Web material was £1.25
Halloween Lawn Banner £3 for 5FT!
View attachment 5167
A BEWARE sign (think you can see it in the photo - £4.50
20 inch designer cackling witch prop - £4.50, they had a bigger one for about £9. In the corner on the shop photo.

·
Registered
179 Posts
I can see a trip to Matalan coming on :D Thanks for this. I have asked the missus for her matalan card and after 20 questions She has just said to me 'Oh yeah I forgot to tell you about that I saw them yesterday'!!!!! I am now off to have a few serious words - Imagine if I forgot to tell her a shoe sale was on;)

·
Lord of the Cemetery
2,081 Posts
How many people in the UK celebrate Halloween? 25%, 50% or more?
Thats kind of difficult to answer, Lordgrimley. I couldn't really give an accurate percentage.
It's a matter of degree really.

"Haunts" as we know and love them are very few and far between. Most people, if they do anything, just have a few JOL's around..in a window or something to advertise the fact that TOT's are welcome, and just hand out candy at the door.

Quite a few people have "No Trick or Treat Here" signs and pretend to be out for the evening.:(

A few people have parties.

Far fewer people here go all out in the same way as our friends across the Atlantic.

From my personal experience...I live on the edge of a town of 5,000 people and
I have the only full on haunt. I get around 100-150 TOT's on an average Halloween night.
(Numbers were a little down last year). On average, my TOT count is slowly increasing year on year, and there is no doubt that Halloween is increasing in popularity over here....We still have a lot of work to do though.

Hope this goes a little way to answering your question.

·
Lord of the Cemetery
2,081 Posts
memamu, Thanks for the info.
I've got a Matalan about 20 miles away, so I may make a trip this weekend.

·
Registered
1,199 Posts
In my home town, they have some organised events for kids and adults, haunted walks, spend the night in a haunted pub (the cosmopolitan if you are any near hartlepool), visits to the gun battery with a supposed poltergeist. A good few people have halloween parties.
Whereas here in Lavaur, nada, rien, zilch. They decided it was taking the shine off All Saints day :(

·
Lord of the Cemetery
2,081 Posts
Ooh yeah...forgot about the Ghost hunts.

A lot of places organise those...

·
Registered
179 Posts
Well I been to the two Matalans near me and they both poor! Got a few items but nothing WOW!!! Hopefully they will be rolling their 09 stuff out soon.

1 - 20 of 101 Posts