Halloween Forum banner

1 - 20 of 68 Posts

·
Registered
670 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok guys- this is my first Halloween party. I am a pretty good party planner but have NEVER thrown a Halloween party before. I am sure there are some great recipes floating around that I know nothing about. Can you guys tell me your favorites? This is a kids party but plenty of adults will be there too. I've seen the meat head thing and I'm definitely going to do that one.

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
One thing to keep in mind is ....
if it looks really gross, some people won't try it or eat it.

BBQ chicken wings = bat wings
Meatballs = brains or eyeballs
Halloween sugar cookies- bats, cats, pumpkins, skulls
Jello body parts- made from Halloween Jello molds
Apple cider
Hot chocolate
Red fruit punch with a ice hand floating in it

Many Holiday/Halloween party & craft books have great recipes & ideas on how to serve them as well. The Penny Whistle Halloween book by Meredith Brokaw, is great for parties of all ages, & has lots of recipes.

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
Walking Tacos - Not really Halloweem 'Named' but they are always Great!

Plastic Fork
Small bags of fritos (crush up)
Crock pot of ground beef with taco seasoning
Sour Cream
Tomatoes
Lettuce
Etc whatever you put on tacos

Taste Great, easy to walk around with and throw away!

·
Registered
670 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
One thing to keep in mind is ....
if it looks really gross, some people won't try it or eat it.

BBQ chicken wings = bat wings
Meatballs = brains or eyeballs
Halloween sugar cookies- bats, cats, pumpkins, skulls
Jello body parts- made from Halloween Jello molds
Apple cider
Hot chocolate
Red fruit punch with a ice hand floating in it

Many Holiday/Halloween party & craft books have great recipes & ideas on how to serve them as well. The Penny Whistle Halloween book by Meredith Brokaw, is great for parties of all ages, & has lots of recipes.
Thank you! I was beginning to think no one was going to reply. Everyone is into props and decorations but not so much the food I guess. That's too bad for me since that's the one thing I know I can do. LOL I do have lots of books here and have some ideas. I just thought it would be fun to get everyone elses favorites.

·
Registered
670 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Walking Tacos - Not really Halloweem 'Named' but they are always Great!

Plastic Fork
Small bags of fritos (crush up)
Crock pot of ground beef with taco seasoning
Sour Cream
Tomatoes
Lettuce
Etc whatever you put on tacos

Taste Great, easy to walk around with and throw away!
Thanks...I think my son would like this one!

·
Registered
251 Posts
There are tons of threads on food, but there are tons of threads, so it can be daunting finding anything. That being said - plenty of folks get into the food :)

Here's one from last year that seems to cover most of the staples... runs the gambit from simple to complex:

http://www.halloweenforum.com/party-ideas-experiences-recipes/69238-food-08-a.html

Perfect Entertaining and Britta, of course have great recipes. I also like Disney Family Fun and Kraft:

Halloween at Perfect Entertaining

Halloween Recipes

Halloween Recipes - Cakes and Treats - and More Great Family Fun Recipe Ideas

Favorite Halloween Recipes

Hope this helps!

·
Technological Terror
724 Posts
You have to serve the little sausages that you wrap up in cresant rolls to look like little mummies. There great. Use mustard or ketchup to make eyes on them. Easy to make, just wrap the sausages in the rolls and stick'em in the oven. Once the rolls are done, garish the open end of the wrap with the mustard or ketchup for the eyes. They are easy to eat too, no mess! :)

·
Registered
670 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
You have to serve the little sausages that you wrap up in cresant rolls to look like little mummies. There great. Use mustard or ketchup to make eyes on them. Easy to make, just wrap the sausages in the rolls and stick'em in the oven. Once the rolls are done, garish the open end of the wrap with the mustard or ketchup for the eyes. They are easy to eat too, no mess! :)

I have this on my list of things to make! I've never had them before but I imagine they are good! I am really getting into this Halloween party now!! Thanks for the info!

·
Registered
789 Posts
Also, just a simple little mix I've done at my parties for people to snack on -

mix candy corn and salted peanuts in a bowl...they're fabulous together! It looks festive and kids will LOVE it! Some people also add plain m&m's in h-ween colors.
Sounds tasty!

Good luck w/ the party plannng!

·
Registered
41 Posts
party treats..

Do I have ideas for you!
You can order molds ( jello/cake, not moldy molds) on line or maybe find them in stores closer to halloween.
I have a coffin mold (or you could cut a toe pincher yourself from a sheet cake) for a cake. make the cake red velvet cake mix and use the darkest frosting you can find and maybe added a little black decorating frosting to it and you have a coffin cake made for a prince. (Prince Vlad??)

I also have a brain..mold...(I have been taking pills for that...)
With watermelon jello it looks quite good.
Or you can make some sort of cracker dip, pate` and put it in the mold to form it and have people eat your brains. (If you love me, you'll let me eat your brains) Make it a light colored mix, chicken salad ish.
You can also form your mashed potatoes,ect... (you can see where I am going with that one).

I also found a hand cookie cutter, so you can make all sorts of disembodied hands and decorate with pure pleasure.
I also found a tombstone cookie cutter.

Halloween punch frozen hand, I would suggest not using ice, but some of the punch and color it differently than the punch. That way while it melts, it doesn't water down the punch.

look up Cannibal themed halloween supper, this guy really went all out on some gross stuff. cool. But the heart was the best, you can order a heart mold from Anatomical chart company , I would suggest that if you are going to do the bloody heart, pour more of the mix in and let that chill. Then carve some out and pour in the blood mix, chill and pour in the rest of the heart mix and chill. I am going to try it that way instead of putting a baggie inside.

There are also cookies, which I am asked to make all of the time. Called Death by Chocolate cookies...oh yea... good times.

Or All Soul's Day bread and do a dumb supper, leaving a place fully set for any 'spirits' who may come to visit.

Look up on how to make sugar skulls as well, the plastic molds can also be used for candies...
enjoy and have fun.

and if you nibble on the goodies first, others will follow, out of mere curiousity.

·
Registered
670 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Wow absintheminded, I was totally grossed out by reading your post. I guess that's the whole point huh? LOL! Thanks for the tips. I think I am going to buy the brain mold. I've read some recipes for dips...wonder if any of them are any good?? I guess I am just going to have to try them out. My problem is all the recipes contain jello (gelatin) and I hate jello!! Yuk... I have a hand cookie cutter and I never thought about making dismembered hands with it. Or I could just cut off all the fingers and use those. That's awesome! Thanks for the idea. Here's a picture of the cake my son picked out...pretty cool huh?
[/IMG]

·
Registered
666 Posts
My best advice I can give for food for you is try to make as much of it make ahead as possible! In saying that this is a list of the things I normally make for my party, and everyone usually love them tho I'm going to try some of Rikki's cream cheese red velvet cake balls this year they look great.

Meats:
batwings - terriyaki chiken, bbq chicken wings, and buffalo
****note if you have a kroger store near you I really like their brand of
terriyaki it's great. I serve mine in a electric skillet on low to keep warm.
bug sandwiches- a french loaf cut in half and sliced down the lenght at
sandwich size intervals, meats (I usually just use the 59 cent carl budding
meats and everyone loves it esp kids, cheese I usually use american. I
also make one with honey mustard one without. assemble back togeather
to reform the loaf after adding cheese meats etc. Plase toothpicks into
two olives for eyes, and stick toothpicks out the sides for legs etc, or turn
it into a snake by giving it a forked tongue made of meat.
chili in crockpot- I place canned chili of your choice (I like Armor Chili)
in the crockpot, and add a block of cream cheese and serve with chips
sausage cheese balls- recipes abound on the internet for this and are all great
shrimp puffs- This is always the recipe I can never ever make enough of
a bag of frozen shrimp (party size or cocktail any is fine) thawed and
chopped. One package of cream cheese, one tub of garden vegetable
cream cheese spread (the kind for bagles) and crescent rolls.
Mix togeather the shrimp, cream cheese and garden veg spread, spoon
mixture into the center of a crescent roll triangle wrap up and roll the
dough til it is ball shaped and bake per directions for crescent roll. This is
a recipe I came up with out of the blue and everyone loves it and asks for.
you can make the filing the night before and preroll them just keep them in
the fridge covered til time to bake.
sandwich rolls- soft taco shells, meats, cream cheese, and shredded cheese
layer meats and cheese and roll I use toothpicks to help make sure they
stay togeather, but the cream cheese does this too.
I also usually make a meat tray with crackers and cheese, 2 types of crackers,
summer sausage sliced, pepporonis, and cheese pieces or cubes(2 kinds)

Desserts:
Caramel apples
cocolate covered apples
Pumpkin Pie (a must have)
Pumpkin nut muffins

Lucy's sweet chex mix (it's so good you definatly should try it) I use Rice and
corn chex, mixed nuts, and small pretzels mixed togeather.
In a seperate bowl mix 2 tablespoons (sometimes I use more) and brown
sugar about a quarter to half of a cup or so (should be runny) pour over
chex mix and coat it lightly. Then microwave in 30 second intervals lay
flat to dry it's so yummy.
Chocolate covered pretzel rods (with sprinkles) I do white and milk chocolate.
Cake -I often just buy a halloween themed one from the store as I'm running
behind by that point (even tho I've taken cake decorating classes. I
know I'm bad. I have found tho that at parties most people prefer
cupcakes for easy of transporting them around.
Fruit tray- I normally have apple slices, orange slices, grapes and bananas. I
mix marshmallow fluff (the stuff in the jar) with cream cheese for a dip.
Assorted candy (no halloween party is complete without candy)

Side items:
Vegetable tray with ranch dip I usually have carrots, mushrooms, cherry
tomatoes, celery, broccoli, and cauliflower
regular chex mix
chips of various kinds

Drinks
Punch with floating hands and face made of ice
Punch is usually 1/2 gallon orange sherbert, white grape juice (one
frozen package and cranberry gingerale all mixed in punch bowl
Sodas
Apple Cider

Some of this varies year to year, but I've found most of these things to be a
hit with all ages so I kind of stick to what I know works and try a few new
recipes each year that I find on here or in magazines.

I hope this helps you some, and as a bonus now I have an easy to print list
of what to do this year :) woot! I hope you're party goes great.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I LOVE Halloween food! Those little mummy hotdogs or sausages are really good. And I've made the cheese mummy and loved it-- I'll make him again. Some other good ideas are fun decorated caramel apples or popcorn balls. The cake you picked out is great! You can also think about filling the inside with cherry pie filling so it "bleeds" when you cut it open.

If you like really gross-looking food, the kitty litter box cake is always hilarious, and I've done a "truck stop toilet" brownie presentation once, and it was so disgusting I could hardly look at it. Truly awesome. Let me know if you want directions and I'll post the link!

-Karen

·
Registered
249 Posts
I've done a "truck stop toilet" brownie presentation once, and it was so disgusting I could hardly look at it. Truly awesome. Let me know if you want directions and I'll post the link!
-Karen
This sounds completely disgusting! I LOVE it! I would love to see pictures or have you post a link. I try to have at least one disgusting food item at my party each year, even though no one eats it. If nothing else it is a good conversation starter!

1 - 20 of 68 Posts