Halloween Forum banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
At the request of Stochey, I am starting a Menu 2014 thread. Stochey- you read my mind! I came onto the forum tonight to get menu ideas and wanted to see if anyone had any ideas for their menu this year.

I'll start w/ some of my thoughts/tried and true ideas from last year:

What went well...
-Devils Tongues (Mini sweet peppers halved, filled w/ cream cheese, wrapped in thin bacon strips and baked until brown)
-Bat Balls (oreos ground up and mixed with a can of sweetened conduced milk and then formed into balls and rolled in sprinkles)
-Halloween cupcakes (no special design, just halloween colors, maybe brighter greens and purples this year)
-Anti-vampire Dip (homemade garlic hummus)
-Brains (meatballs in BBQ sauce, served out of a hot crockpot)
-Ghost Barf (spinach artichoke dip from Costco, heated, served out of a crockpot)

Drinks: Beer and wine (both with special bottle labels of course), Dragons Blood Punch was a HUGE hit!! I added berry vodka. Here is the recipe: http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/sandra-lee/dragons-blood-punch-non-alcoholic-recipe.html

What didn't go over well….
-Veggie dip w/ carrots/celery (I think that's because we already had the hummus out)
-Sliced meat and cheese tray (seriously, nobody touched it :( and it had good cheese on it)
-Mini keg of Hofbrau beer (I don't think our friends know good beer when they see it)

As far as posting my menu at the party…..check it out! This is my latest Pinterest craft.

photo.JPG

I bought an old picture frame for $1 at a yard sale, painted it and found a chalkboard at Home Depot. Obviously, I used it for a Mojito bar recently, but I can easily erase and add our Boo-fet Menu for the guests to see!

I can't wait to see everyone's ideas!:D

·
Registered
969 Posts
Love that menu board!! good job on that!

The Devil's Tongues sound really good!

So the spinach dip you got from Costco... is it just the Costco store brand or what? We are considering getting a Costco card.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Stochey- Yes, the Devil's Tongues were great, we do them for almost every party (even non-Halloween). Here is a similar pic (we do ours w/ sweet peppers and a little less bacon). The only mistake I made last year was not making them ahead. I was assembling them while guests were arriving...not good. This year, I will make them ahead of time and cook them while guests arrive so they are hot.

images.jpg

I think I have only seen the dip in this size at Costco:

6d7f04ebcd7afa7b6d036131f2302875.jpg

I would highly suggest getting a membership, even at the lowest level. Usually things like this dip and bulk coffee make up the membership price for us within a few months :)

PMTT-Yeah, no meat and cheese tray this year :( Ribs sound like a great idea!

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
PMTT-Your meat tray is fantastic! Sooo creepy! I especially love the sausages. Also, I had no idea that shrimp could look somewhat gruesome in a big mound. Maybe I will add shrimp to this year's menu....

I was just browsing through my Pinterest to pull off some of my favorite Halloween food. These are not my photos, but photos of things I have made before or want to try. Enjoy!

85736db4e6d5d64f36c40c7a7bc088c5.jpg
f0f5b4307bd460490aecb83561ebea1b.jpg
13ebb1cd36e52b0cf5850e8691bf573f.jpg
fdcbc66436c0dbdef992d0059dfe2377.jpg
54899971743a882724bc77647657c51c.jpg
688d77d8a6ef2691e1b085381aa92677.jpg
37678be5da499ad933fcb330628db955.jpg
3b2c30e0b44c5abd02a9ae675382973d.jpg
73c75dd1348850d93b8223aac77e6362.jpg
2a510eb780ff4117af0a2f7b598b4721.jpg
e7c9eddbaf7f22e9365d529a0215b3be.jpg
ca89a3610085ebf46dba11505ac0d54d.jpg
042623359a3bd55d3d75c3d16cbdc816.jpg

Attachments

·
Registered
394 Posts
Yeah, I loved how it turned out! Will definitely be doing it again this year.
I want to do a blood fountain as well just gonna see if I can find one used for cheap!

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
PMTT-Mine was used when I got it. Much cheaper that way. Try Craigslist or garage sales. Since peak wedding season is almost over, you might find one that someone is trying to get rid of.

·
Registered
21 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Rasmirin- That skeleton mold looks great! Good find!
Thanks! :) I saw it and just had to have it. My second favorite thing after Halloween is kitchen gadgets...so it was love at first sight, lol!

·
Registered
381 Posts
This is our 9th party...every year I set up 2 8ft banquet tables for the spread. Although I prepare some true and tried recipes, there is also room for all those who like to make something.
This year I think I'm trying something different......a taco/nacho bar
I think I will prep some ground beef, and have all sorts of fixings for tacos or nachos....and just keep refilling it as the night goes.
I am making a version of this to put near the "ground meat" IMG_5980.jpg

Also doing a dip bar...with the dips being in blenders...to go with my retirement asylum/nursing home theme. Can add a taco dip, guacomole dip...etc

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Nataliexx-Great find! That website has tons of good food/drink ideas. Thanks!

Marigolddesigns- Taco bar sounds like a great idea! I am always looking for foods that are a bit "heavier" than a bunch of appys. I just might have to incorporate this! Any ideas of how you are going to do the Nacho Bar if you decide to do it? What ingredients, etc? I have never done one :D

·
Registered
8 Posts
I posted this elswhere but this is my menu for this year:

I make stomboli (frozen bread dough, thawed. rolled out, topped, then rolled up and baked) instead of pizza it is really quick to make (make ahead and refrigerate till ready to bake) and you can make it all veggie, or all meat etc. I serve it with marinara dipping sauce kept warm in a mini crock pot.

This year we are doing a spider web 7 layer dip as well http://www.sixsistersstuff.com/2013/10/spooky-halloween-7-layer-dip-recipe.html
Chips, pretzels, veggies served with the salsa (http://thepioneerwoman.com/cooking/2010/01/restaurant-style-salsa/) , dip and hummus. flavored and roasted pumpkin seeds (saved from carving)
We also either do a big pot of chili or bbq beef or chicken (shredded and cooked in a crock pot to keep warm) served on buns because that is filling and easy and cheap.
For dessert I am making a family recipe called "Gobs" (also called whoopie pies sometimes) and we always have candy(because it is super fun to get candy even though you no longer trick or treat!) .

·
Registered
394 Posts
This is our 9th party...every year I set up 2 8ft banquet tables for the spread. Although I prepare some true and tried recipes, there is also room for all those who like to make something.
This year I think I'm trying something different......a taco/nacho bar
I think I will prep some ground beef, and have all sorts of fixings for tacos or nachos....and just keep refilling it as the night goes.
I am making a version of this to put near the "ground meat" View attachment 218466

Also doing a dip bar...with the dips being in blenders...to go with my retirement asylum/nursing home theme. Can add a taco dip, guacomole dip...etc
So cool! I'm going to do this next year!!

·
Registered
394 Posts
My vision this year to to have a "morgue" set up on my table. Conjoined twins. I'll have meat head plus my 3d skull cake, then my ribs and sausages and stuffed pastry cut as ribs. I think they will be bodybagged from there and I will just have other gross food plus my blood chocolate fountain!

1 - 20 of 47 Posts