Halloween Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
1,992 Posts
Well...from my son's personal collection, the little sheister, OMG I was embarrassed:

Lady at house: "Would you like one piece of candy or two?"
My Son (finger on chin, thinking): "How about three?"

Lady at next house: "No, no, little boy, you can only have X many." (can't remember what the number was)
My son (in a conspiratorial I'm-sure-we-can-work-something-out-here voice): "Okay. How about X many plus one more?"

Pretty much anybody who answered any door to us: "Well, and what are you, little guy?"
Littlest son, who is adorable, cheery and has a tiny sweet elven face...picture this said in THE SWEETEST high-pitched, angel voice you can imagine, and with hearty enthusiasm: "I'm Death!"

That's my boy...you go, Evan...

But they had their polite side too. Aside from saying "please" and "thank you" with enthusiasm without fail, there were these that made me crack up:

My older son: "Thank you very much. That was so nice of you. See you next year!" (we call this one The Mayor or The Ambassador)
My littlest son (at first house...as if he'd never done this before): "Oh, you gave me candy. Well, isn't that nice of you!"
Both of them...at pretty much EVERYBODY that passed by: "Oh, I really like your X costume! Good job! You look so scary/creepy/spooky/pretty/real/whatever!" and my favorite, a solemn "Thank you for coming to our house." LOLOLOL!!!

The things my kids say are going to last me a lifetime.

LOL!!!

·
Registered
128 Posts
I went as a ghost. Picture lots of white tulle, oversized hood that covered my face, and I embedded it with little black light leds that made the tulle glow.

Lady answering door: Oh. (Yells to husband) Alan come take a look at this!

Cool guy answering door: We got a clever one here! Bring me the bowl of the good candy and everybody come look at this!
Then his wife actually brought him a different bowl of "good candy"! lol

Little boy when seeing my costume: "No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No NO NO NO NO NO!!!"

I felt so bad for him! I know how he feels...

Lady answering door: Hey Julie come look at the ghost at the door!
Julie (her little daughter): *Looks* AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!! *Runs to back of house*

And my personal "favorite"

Clueless man: "Look what we have here. A spooky bride!"

Not. A. Bride. :rolleyes:

Get Sirius- That little boy is one of us!

·
Registered
151 Posts
It had to be from an earlier TOT little boy about 7-8 years old. Looked around and looked and once got his candy and then came back and said Mister where did you buy all of this? I smiled and feeling very proud said to him well all of this you see I made myself. His eyebrows went up and stared in more amazement and then said how long did it take you? I said about two months to plan it all but each year I make something. He asked what stuff I used and we had a good little conversation. This place is awesome he said before he said goodbye still looking back in wonder. I thought I hope I planted a seed for the next generation of haunters or a crazy person that has no money and has to get real imaginative like yours truly. :D

·
Human Candy Shovel
1,107 Posts
"Oh my god, its that house, its that house!"

Heard it like a dozen times. I am immensely satisfied by the fact that my Halloween haunting is finally becoming known as "that house."

also...

"Can I drive the spider?"

I zip tied a $3 spider on top of the chassis of a remote control car. Along with spooking almost everyone when it suddenly charged out of the herd of spiders by my casket, one little girl insisted on giving it a test drive of her own. The kid was a natural. It also inspired me for next year - I'll make a few more and offer spider wrangling in my haunt. :D

·
Oak Lane Cemetery
2,019 Posts
Ours was from a mom - Me (pointing out my son dressed as Slenderman to a little boy) "Don't let the Slenderman catch you!" Boy - "Oh cool! Slenderman! Is that real?!!!" Boy's mom - "Oh look! Spiderman! Dont let him catch you in his web! oooooooooo!!!" The wife an I glanced at each other and the woman's son spun around laughing and said "No mom that's SLENDERMAN not SPIDERMAN!" Then the woman calls to her other kid and repeats to him "Look at the scaaaaaary Spiderman! Watch out for his webs!" Older kid looked embarassed and the younger was looking all around for Spiderman, but not seeing him anywhere. lol

·
Registered
158 Posts
We had a ton of compliments from both parents and kids last night - but the cutest thing ever that made my entire night happened with a little 2 year old girl.

She was staring the entire way up the walkway at our little girls turning and singing "Ring Around the Rosie". Her parents are behind her telling her "say Trick or Treat!!" and she could not stop staring. She hops up to the top step of our porch (which we normally don't let anyone do, it's unsafe; but I was 100% ready to catch her in case she fell).

She stares for a good 30 seconds and even with the music playing, you can softy hear her singing "Ring Around the Rosie" while transfixed on those dolls. it gave me the biggest smile of my entire night.

·
Registered
1,357 Posts
Loved reading all of these!!!! Thank you for sharing.

My favorite thus far happened back in 2009. Little kids were waiting in line for candy, and my sister and I (both witches) weye making a big deal out of asking kids what the "magic words" were, which 90% of the kids would say please. We would tell them all other days of the year that was it, but not on Halloween. Of course we were waiting on trick or treat! A little boy about three years old was up, it was his turn... and he looked up at me, with lights reflecting, twinkling in his eyes... and his breath sorta waivered, and he finally mustered the courage and blubbered out... "I...I... I WUV YOU WITCH!" :) Best moment ever.

This year, a set of identical twins who have visited the last two years, came by. I'd say that are 4 or 5 now. The more out going of the two said to me, "I was afraid of you last year witch, but I'm not afraid of you thus year!"(SO very proud of herself too.) I had her high five me and we chatted some. Then as she was leaving, she put two fingers up to her eyes and said, "I've got my eyes on you witch!" LOLOLOL

As they drove away, windows rolled down, I heard that sweet voice saying, "Byyyyeee wiiiiiiitch!" Loved it

·
Registered
1,992 Posts
It had to be from an earlier TOT little boy about 7-8 years old. Looked around and looked and once got his candy and then came back and said Mister where did you buy all of this? I smiled and feeling very proud said to him well all of this you see I made myself. His eyebrows went up and stared in more amazement and then said how long did it take you? I said about two months to plan it all but each year I make something. He asked what stuff I used and we had a good little conversation. This place is awesome he said before he said goodbye still looking back in wonder. I thought I hope I planted a seed for the next generation of haunters or a crazy person that has no money and has to get real imaginative like yours truly. :D
YES, keeping the torch going for the next generation!!! You know this little dude will be on HF one day...

·
Registered
1,992 Posts
I didn't hear this one, but my friend who was helping me hand candy to a group of boys was dressed as a zebra, and apparently overheard one of the kids say he was afraid of zebras. He didn't want to go near her. What are the odds?
LOLOL!!!

Post on HF next year:

"So what's your theme for this year?"

"Witches." "Cool!"
"Zombies." "Awesome."
"Pirates." "Oh yay, fun!"
"Skeletons." "How cool & traditional."
"Zebras." "Oh no man, NOT ZEBRAS! That is WAY too scary even for us!!!!!!!!!!!"

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Visitors are always so shocked when they hear everything is actually made from styrofoam that was originally destined for some landfill. Sometimes I pull out one of the skulls and show people that they are made from Elmer's glue, water and phone book pages (I had to do SOMETHING useful with all those old phonebooks!)

Of course, it's a miracle anyone can see anything with 1400 watts of fog going... we destroy visibility for several blocks around!

·
Human Candy Shovel
1,107 Posts
We had a father explaining to his son that he needed to be brave and protect his little sister who was frightened by one of the displays in our cemetery because he was a knight and knights are brave to which the boy replied I,m not a knight I,m just dressed up like one
Yeah, I saw that happen, too. One little boy, maybe 4, dressed as a knight, chased my RC spider around the yard with his foam sword.

·
Registered
117 Posts
"Remember me? I was here last year!" Welcome back, glad you could make it.
"Last year I was scared to come up, but not this year!" Good job, you get extra candy.
"I love your house, how long did it take to do all this?" All summer plus 5 hours just today.
"We love that you do this for us!" That's all I need to hear...
"My son's been waiting months to come to your house- he makes me drive past it every day."
A large group of teens came through toward the end, all very excited and talking over each other. DH explained that we want kids to have a memorable Halloween, then asked what they were going to do when they had their own homes? Two girls both said they'd decorate, but one young man said proudly "I'm going to out-do you!" Excellent- aim high!

·
Imitation Imagineer
1,130 Posts
This was our first year in a new place (move from Florida to Georgia)

It was pretty clear from middle October on, that no one in this neighborhood did anything more than put a pumpkin in the window, so we really didn't know what to expect.

The turnout was several hundred fewer kids than we are used to, but the ones that did come out seemed to enjoy themselves, and have some funny things to say:

• "Do you work in movies?" (Not even a little bit)
  • "I saw this place on the news!" (Nope, but thanks for thinking so)
  • "This is the coolest thing to ever be in this neighborhood" (I'm glad you think so.....just wait until next year)
  • "I want to live in a house like this when I get big" (Make sure you factor in enough space to store the hearse)
  • "This place is bananas!" (I have honestly NEVER heard that one before)
  • "Why are there skeletons dancing in your house?" (Better mine than yours, eh?)

·
Registered
262 Posts
My favorite TOT was a little girl dressed as a cheerleader. I am guessing she was 21/2 or 3. I was on the porch passing out candy and she saw my blow mold ghost which was slightly taller than her. The following conversation ensued:
cheery: "I am afraid of your ghost," while clinging to her mother who was dressed in Army fatigues.
me: "It's a friendly ghost."
cheery: "It's going to eat the pumpkin," referring to jack-o-lantern at the base of the blowmold.
me: "No, it's friends with the pumpkin."
cheery: "I want to touch it." She proceeds to let go of her mom and goes and pats the blowmold all over its face and head. Then she gives it a hug. "What is it full of?" she ponders. Then, "I bet its full of candy!"
Mom: "No, it’s not full of candy"
cheery: "I think it has a big stomach inside."
me: "Maybe."
Mom: "Come on. Say thank you. Time to go. Don't you want to get more candy?"
cheery: "No, I want to stay here." Cheery reluctantly is drawn away from the fascinating stomach having candy filled blowmold which was becoming her friend.

·
Registered
1,265 Posts
My favorite this year was a group of 10-12 year olds who came up all in a cluster. As my husband was giving them candy from our skeleton hand bowl, I was standing to the side holding our 11-month old. One of the kids said "Man, I wish you guys were MY parents! This is a great house... my parents are so lame for Halloween!". DH and I got a big laugh out of that!

I didn't hear it, but DH says that another group of kids came by and he heard one of the guys, maybe around 10, tell another kid "I bet their electric bill is really high with all these lights"! LOLOLOLOL!!!
:D

·
Registered
2,002 Posts
Little brat when I opened the door for tot- "Scary not, scary not"

Me- "Candy not, candy not"

...and then I closed the door on him and his little crowd of friends and as they realized they were getting stiffed out of candy all I could hear is all of them saying it's scary, it's SCARY!

And then they got a treat. One brat almost cost the whole group their candy. Gotta teach 'em while they're young. You don't be disrespectful to someone who went through the trouble of making halloween fun for you. But when that door closed with candy denied, they freaked, lol!

1 - 20 of 36 Posts