Halloween Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I saw that one of the Fort Wayne Meijer stores have started to bring out the Halloween decor and sadly it looks very kitschy for my taste and something my 90 year old lady across the street would put out. I have purchased some really cool resin skulls and scary jack o lanterns over the years from there too :(. I hope there is more to come, but I see this trend of uber goofy Halloween decor, of what I call lame 'Hobby Lobby' style Halloween decorations. I hope I am wrong.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Went buy 1 of mine today & had a lot out but could see there was still more to come. Better than my Hobby Lobby by a long shot (mine never has anything good) but still a lot of stuff I passed on. Lots of skeleton statues & skulls similar to the ones that many stores have this year. Party stuff, animated plush, lights & a few hanging ghouls. Had LED Neon ghost & cat lights. Saw the ghost last year (too plain) & the cat was green. Checked with Sis who said the Neon Cat at Walgreens was also green & cheaper than here so I waited. End cap had a lot of skelly animals & had the pig like JoAnn's without the apple. I only collect a few traditional pieces but saw a couple unusual ones not seen before:
Bug (which looks like a bee or fly to me) & a Butterfly:
Meijer Skeleton Bug & Butterfly.jpg
They called this a Raven but looks like a Hummingbird (my other love). Beak is too long to be a Raven:
IMG_1913.JPG

However, some excellent & different stuff was also there. These were very bright & on the line of the 3 pieces I bought at Old Time Pottery. Nice push button on the stand so you don't have to pick it up. Seems made well:
IMG_1914.JPG

They also had about 5 or 6 of these & the try me didn't work on any of them so I took a chance & figured I could bring it back if I didn't like it. However, I love it. Back light is green as in the picture & comes on & stays on for a couple seconds & then flashes like lightning & then off & then cycles again. 6 hour on & 18 hour off timer which is a plus:
IMG_1909.JPG

Also bought these lounge pants & tee shirt:
IMG_1915.JPG IMG_1916.JPG

·
Registered
232 Posts
Thank you for all of the photos, Yodlei. Most of the Meijer stores around here are just starting to put out Halloween. Lots of retailers seem to be carrying the same items this year (bone animals, black resin hand, etc.), which is disappointing in a way, but also good for those who may not have the others around.

·
Registered
206 Posts
So are we all in Illinois? Lol
Appears to be more than I would have thought. I thought you were up north when you mentioned Old Time Pottery but then you drove to Decatur & thought "now that's a trip". I used to drive down to Piasa for Hummingbird plants so we all have vices, I guess.

·
Registered
888 Posts
Appears to be more than I would have thought. I thought you were up north when you mentioned Old Time Pottery but then you drove to Decatur & thought "now that's a trip". I used to drive down to Piasa for Hummingbird plants so we all have vices, I guess.
I’m near the Champaign-Urbana area but travel to Chicago regularly for work.

·
Registered
888 Posts
@Yodlei couple questions for you on what you saw.

More specifically the large vertical signs and the reaper prop. Notable or the norm? And do you remember prices?

And on a more funny note, what’s that pile of brown fabric? Looks like a bunch of Jawas blew up! 😂

·
Registered
206 Posts
@Yodlei couple questions for you on what you saw.

More specifically the large vertical signs and the reaper prop. Notable or the norm? And do you remember prices?

And on a more funny note, what’s that pile of brown fabric? Looks like a bunch of Jawas blew up! 😂
The vertical signs appeared bigger than any I've seen & think they were $39.99. Not my cup of tea but they caught my attention because of their size. I try to remember to look at prices on things I think might be asked about so I'm not absolutely sure. As for reaper, I assume you are referring to the first picture next to the skull? If so, it is a tombstone & I collect some of those so I looked for a price on it & couldn't find one. It is heavy & eyes light up but no sound. The skull next to it was $29.99 marked on the shelf below it so I'm not sure if the tombstone was also the same price or not. Would fall in line though. If not the tombstone, let me know. They had a lighted tombstone with sound last year that I wanted but it was too expensive & waited for a sale but it was gone.

I had to look up Jawas since I didn't know what you were talking about & though it was a typo (now that is funny) & I think that is exactly what it is....Jawas hats. I know it was from something licensed but didn't recall since it didn't attract me in the least except to know what the hell it was. Not sure if it was animated or not but was in the section that had animated stuff.

·
Registered
888 Posts
@Yodlei this was the guy I was chatting about:
View attachment 719589

As far as the signs no I’m not thrilled about the price but I have this totally long blank place I normally hang large signs on I really do like the sizes and colors.

And a total LOL moment on the Jawa hats!

·
Registered
888 Posts
Went to Meijer today. Didn’t see the signs. Reaper dude was $14.99. I gotta say not that what they had was bad, but seeing as how they waited so long to put their stuff out there was an odd sense of been there done that!

I did really like their haunted hotel scene setters for the displays.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
About this Discussion
18 Replies
5 Participants
Meadow
Halloween Forum
Halloween forum - Keeping the Halloween spirit alive 365 days a year. Discuss decorations, costumes and more!
Full Forum Listing