Halloween Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, so...he's not totally finished, but i couldn't wait to get your opinions on him...he's my very 1st attempt at making anything.

The pics are hosted on my own server, I hope that's ok...didn't see anything in the rules about acceptable pic hosts. I think the second pic is a better shot, because it more accurately approximates the the viewing angle of my "victims".
Every bit of him is made 100% from scratch...no shortcuts on this guy (mostly cuz I can't afford to buy a bucky or blucky or anything like that. Besides, I wanted more of a monster and less of a skeleton.
Anyway, he's the usual liquid rubber (Blue Seal), cotton balls, crumpled-up tin foil and a whole lotta paint. His teeth are individually carved and set in place...I used roughly-carved bits of dry GreatStuff which I refined and finished using my rotary tool.
In case you can't tell from the pics, he's built to operate like Merlin's FGC (he's a puppet).
Unfortunately, my silly camera refuses to take pics of Vincent under the blacklights...bummer, cuz I think he looks awesome that way.

BTW: please be honest if you comment. I can take constructive criticism. ;)

Lucid Digital Media
Lucid Digital Media

·
Registered
340 Posts
I like him. He looks ready to be put out in the haunt right now and very nice for your first prop. As far as constructive criticism? I think you have everything covered IMO. Some more cheese cloth to give him a more tattered look but I'm sure that's on your list already.

·
Registered
1,253 Posts
Its too "clean". I feel like it would be scarier if there was some color variation in the cheese cloth.

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks, guys!
Yep...more cheesecloth is in the plans, and so is color variation...I'm thinking some "blood" splashed down the front of him to continue the freshly-feasted look. :)

I'm so pleased you guys like him. It means a lot to me.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Looks good to me. I bet it's even scarier moving under the blacklight. I'm working on my first real prop right now, a flying crank ghost, so I'm working with cheesecloth too.

·
Crawling in my skin
2,236 Posts
That is one fine first prop especially since you made him from scratch!! Job well done.....nice to meet you to Vincent.

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the kind words! I was actually starting to have doubts about it until I got some cloth on there...man, that stuff really makes the whole deal.
...and did you know that cheesecloth can actually CUT you??? Pays to not pull too hard on those bunched-up strands!

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Wow! That thing looks wicked! Love those teeth - you must've spent many, many hours on those.
Thanks! I'm so happy you like him!
Not so much time on the teeth, really. I'd estimate the teeth took me a little more than an hour to make. That rotary tool is an awesome little toy. :)
...it was the face that took all the time. Kinda hard when all you have for the underlying frame is a flat piece of cardboard with eye and nose holes cut out. ;)

btw: the ribcage is also cardboard with GreatStuff smeared on and then the ribs are pipe insulation split down the middle and stuck into the GreatStuff while it was drying. That GreatStuff has a million uses!

·
Scariest guy on the block
1,957 Posts
Looks great. I can't wait to see Vincent fully completed.

·
Devilishly Dutch
5,920 Posts
Wow, that's the worse first attempt I've ever seen! You should stick with posting your random thoughts :D lol

Seriously, very nice first build. I think his shoulders could be a bit less square and his rib cage could be a bit more aged, like the face and arms. And like the others said, a bit more variation in the cheesecloth :)

You are going to have some screaming kids to deal with!

MsM

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Wow, that's the worse first attempt I've ever seen! You should stick with posting your random thoughts :D lol

Seriously, very nice first build. I think his shoulders could be a bit less square and his rib cage could be a bit more aged, like the face and arms. And like the others said, a bit more variation in the cheesecloth :)

You are going to have some screaming kids to deal with!

MsM
Hmmm...I'm having a random thought right now, can ya guess what it is? -- I'm kidding, of course! LOL

Hey, are you really Dutch? just curious, coz one of my most favorite people is Dutch. She lives in the Netherlands, and is one of the most loving, giving people I have ever had the good fortune to know.

Thanks for the suggestions...the ribs are bugging me, too. Dunno exactly what I'm going to do about that, since I'm not sure I want to tear all the cloth off (damn, that stuff is fussy!). I'm a bit of a perfectionist and a bit anal, so I'll probably tear it all off and fix the ribs somehow.
As for the "squareness"...I'm not really sure what to do about that. I'm wondering if heating and bending the PVC pipe would work. Does PVC release nasty fumes when you heat it (like, with a heat gun)?

Also, I'm open to ideas on what to do to add variation on the chessecloth...I'm a bit worried about ruining it, so some help would be greatly appreciated.

·
Devilishly Dutch
5,920 Posts
I'm dutch/american....or would that be american/dutch lol Live in the netherlands and married to a dutch guy. Have dual citizenship :)

Hmmmm about the suggestions, how did you age the arms and face? Just do the same with the ribs? I dont think you'd need to remove the cheesecloth, just age the ribs with the cheesecoth on with some tea/coffee/paint. Then hang some more cheesecloth over the ribs for the black light effect.
Softening his shoulders ISNT a must....looks good as it is. But if you wanted to do it, you could try padding them a bit. Or possibly more cheese cloth that hangs a bit looser so they wouldn't be as accentuated.

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Good ideas there, MsMeeple. Thanks for the help!

·
Registered
597 Posts
Its too "clean". I feel like it would be scarier if there was some color variation in the cheese cloth.
Im digging the head and teeth, but as Dminor stated he is a bit too clean. You polish that up a bit and you will have a nice prop on your hands. Well done.

·
1031 Props
1,052 Posts
I gotta agree with the others, It is a terrific prop for your first one. Hats off to you big time. But, it needs to be dirtied up. You should be proud though.

·
Registered
151 Posts
I am too, as many here, waiting for to see Vincent in
action in the dark. :D My "Korppi" is still lying in pieces
waiting for to get alive. I am, I hope, going to put him
up today... Btw, would like to hear, how you say "korppi".
That is Finnish. Maybe you have read about the name already
on my thread.

·
The thing under the bed
631 Posts
Very nice job. and im with everyone else lets see him in action.

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
You'll see him in action, alright. Once I get everything set up, I plan on having a "dry run" before the big night...I'll get pics & videos done then as well as some vids of people freaking out when Vincent goes after them during the actual event.
MWAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts