Halloween Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
327 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I kind of finished our gravekeeper Monday. We call him Old Man Herbert. He's just missing his shovel right now, but other than that he's complete.

I used a partial "bride of articulation" form for the poseable arms and shoulders. The mask was tracked down for me by Nancy at Halloween Asylum (Thanks so much, once again!), the hands are from Ghostride. They came in a nice flesh tone that in no way matched the mask so I painted them with gray and peach spray paint and airbrushed detail in black (hard to see in this lighting). His clothing is from garage sales and Salvation Army, and my old leftovers. The lamp has a flicker flame bulb in it.

Heeeeeeeeere's Herbert!

·
Registered
14,283 Posts
He looks great. I too would love to see a pic of him in more light to really see what he looks like. The motion looks smooth BTW. What kind of motor did you use for his head turning?

·
Registered
508 Posts
How did you animate the head turning?

·
Registered
508 Posts
I bought a bunch of those motors a while ago too! Great to know! How did you rig the mechanism/crank for it? How did you attach it to the shaft of the motor? That's the only thing I don't like about these motors- difficult to attach to.

·
Registered
14,283 Posts
Thanks for the info eanderso13. I've seen that product on their website before and it's nice to know someone who is using it and happy with it. Good price too!

·
Registered
116 Posts
Very cool, yes please post some pics in better light so we can get a good look at him. smooth movement, looks great from what I can see, nice job!

·
Registered
327 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Ok, so here are some more, better lit, pics.

I'll see if I can get some pics of the mechanism tonight or this weekend. Its just a simple linkage like what you would use for a leer prop. But I stuck the bottom of a metal rod into a mounted bearing and ran it up through a PVC pipe piece to keep the rod close to the body and then I stuck his head (mask with chopped down foam wighead inside) on top of that.

To answer another question, to attach the linkages to the motor shaft, I used a 6mm machine screw, which just barely doesn't fit, so with some pressure and rotation you can sort of thread the inside of the plastic shaft with it. I also put JB Weld all on the inner part of the motor shaft, just to give it a little extra holding power once I put the screw in.

·
livin Halloween every day
1,989 Posts
I like old man herbert, think i may send him an invite to my halloween party.

·
Registered
327 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Thanks for the comments everyone. I asked around at work and found someone with an old, rusty, beat-up shovel they are willing to give me for free! So Herbert will be all accessorized soon and ready for the party circuit.

He's the death of the party, you know...

1 - 20 of 20 Posts