Halloween Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just finished him off after a lot of work and waiting to get those final touches on!
My first effort making something this substantial and I have to say I am pretty happy with him.

Attachments

·
Registered
13,769 Posts
Looks great. Kids are going to see him all the way down the road. Like the glowing eyes, like beacons to your house and his name's cool too. Is he like 15-20 feet tall? Can't recall how tall one-story houses typically are. Definitely hope he is well anchored.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thank you everyone for your appreciation. To answer a few questions.....
I think he is about 15 feet tall. I'm not exactly sure because this was the first time he had his head on since I built him.
Storage wasn't too bad (he was the first prop of the year, so he has been in the back of the garage in pieces until now). He comes apart at the waist, so I have just the legs, upper body and the head as separate parts. Long term storage? I will also take off both arms, and the "hips" so the legs can be stacked. That should make him pretty compact, but he is still a big guy!
As far as the anchoring part, yup, that was a big concern. If you look at the bottom of the first shot, you can see his "feet" are actually large planks of wood to give him a wider and longer stance. He is also VERY heavy being made out of 2x4s and 2x2s with all joints and attaching points reinforced with combinations of bolts, screws, shelving brackets and steel strapping. He also has a cable at his back anchoring him to the house. This not only gives him a bit more stability in the wind, but also helps keep him standing a little more upright because his center of gravity i so far forward (to get that "looming over you" effect).:D

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
One more note on the stability issue, I put two 75 pound rocks on the back portion of the "foot" planks!
That should hold him down!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts