Halloween Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had previously posted asking about creating a zombie makeup for my son. I took all of your suggestions into account, watched a ton more tutorial videos (some people should not be allowed on YouTube by the way) and last night I finally felt ready to do battle with the zombie makeup! Here are the pictures.
Face Facial expression Nose Head Forehead

Hair Face Nose Ear Chin

Face Hair Forehead Eyebrow Head

Hair Face Forehead Hairstyle Chin

I used some pretty simple white cream makeup mixed with a light foundation color as a base and went from there using different shades of eye shadow. The "wound" did not turn out as well as I had hoped. I used latex and toilet paper which was easier to on than I thought. I think where I went wrong was it was not totally dry when I started to work with it, so it didn't do exactly what I was hoping.

The other issue I had was not being able to get the "wound" to be the same color as the rest of his skin. There were gaps of white that were showing though no matter what I did. :mad: Was this because it was not dry all the way? Is there a easy way to paint the tp latex?

Please give feedback on the makeup as this was my first attempt at anything like it and I want to learn. :eek:

Thanks!

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
the more I look at the pictures the more I think I was a little the light handed with the makeup all over - maybe the eyes are ok - but everything else seems a little washed out. Maybe its because of the lighting the picture was taken in....I think it looked a little better in person.

·
Rutherford Manor Haunt
2,067 Posts
I think it looks pretty good! Nice work, I agree the make up needs to be darker, especially for night viewing. The open wound needs more blood dripping from it, I like to use the black zombie blood and perma blood because they look wet and gooey. He looks awesome, such a cute model!

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks.

I'm gonna try again in a couple of days, maybe over the weekend and see what happens. Have to try to do the others daughters makeup tonight - she wants to be a ghost - lord help me.

Is there a better way to tell when the latex is dry? It waited at least 10-15 minutes. Did I lay it too thick maybe?

·
Registered
35 Posts
Looks pretty good from what i see. In my experience and hearing your comments is that you may have applied it too thick. Several thin layers is better. Need to allow extra time for toilet paper to dry as it soaks up the latex. Also, I agree with the comments on blood but for the rest a halloween makeup kit works pretty well to color it up. I've only done this twice myself including my profile picture but it turned out pretty well

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I have blood that I am going to be using on Halloween for him. We will be splattering it all over his clothes and whatnot, so I will make sure he is properly bloody then.

Thanks for the feedback everyone.

·
Here to burgle your turts
2,305 Posts
Kudos to you for testing this out early so you don't have any last minute surprises. :) Yeah, darker would be better I think unless you're camera is really washing things out. But your son looks quite proud, so that's not a bad indicator to go by either.

As far as crickets go, I think what you're hearing is hammering in the distance. ;) Things can get a little quieter here when last minute panic sets in.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hammering is it? Ah well then I cant blame anyone.

I have never done a huge yard display, but I have to say you all are inspiring me.....

He was thrilled with the makeup, and to be honest that's all I really care about. If he is happy then I am happy. I have managed to do pre-tests on all the makeups I need to do except one, the devil, which is still stumping me. And I have to re-do the Bride of Frankenstein. The first attempt was less than good.

But I'm feeling great about it over all!!!

·
Registered
17 Posts
Hey this looks rad! If you want a little extra touch, you should buy your son one of those pop rings that stain your tongue and teeth temporarily - buy purple for a really creepy look :-D

Also, if you have red nail polish, you could touch up the wound a bit more. Since the polish is shiny, it will make the wound look more really gross! Mix red with a bit of black or blue for a sick rotten look.

Good job on this makeup!

·
Super Moderator
5,920 Posts
Looks very good, and more importantly, your boy looks delighted.

One unconventional means I've come to use to get the color consistent on the 'wound' area is to paint the skin first before applying the latex, then peel the latex up after that, the color comes with it.

(green is what I had at the time)

For added depth, you can then go back and buld up the underside with TP/latex, but the showing bits there you're going to color with blood anyway.

Don't underestimate just thin latex peeled and stretched, either. (slight makeup on my boy's arm here, then latex and peel) and be sure to paint "under" the latex skin. A "no blood" event here, so just cream paint...

·
Registered
455 Posts
Looks good... I watched on Making Monsters putting petroleum jelly on those wounds give it a fresh real look.

·
Registered
72 Posts
You've done really good for your first attempt! Good thing about latex is you can make the wound on something like a glass board and then once it's finished and dry transfer it to the victim ;) and with that technique you can really focus on the wound in the middle and the outer edges where it will go on skin can make them paper thin so they blend better. Cream make ups should go well on it just as long as it's a hundred percent dry. And if there is ever any gaps that you're not happy with colour wise blood is always the way to go! :)

·
Registered
11 Posts
the more I look at the pictures the more I think I was a little the light handed with the makeup all over - maybe the eyes are ok - but everything else seems a little washed out. Maybe its because of the lighting the picture was taken in....I think it looked a little better in person.
Depends on the type of camera your shooting on. The make up could look amazing in person, but suck on camera.... and vice versa. From the pictures you posted I would agree with you on saying it looks a tad washed out. Bring in more grays. Make it darker around his eyes. Add some fake blood. The bite/ decaying skin looks great.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts