Halloween Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,511 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
okkeeee......i am an antique collector....not so much supersituous but i do have some limits over what i buy and bring in my house....i've been really flipping some things to gothic victorian this past year....focusing on the late 1800's..........NO ONE smokes in my house anything..i've gone in my downstairs bathroom twice now and gotten that old cigarette smoke smell people have on their clothing.....my husband told me today he smelled a cigar type odor after my daughter went to her classes and so much he followed her to her car to check it out to make sure she wasnt involved in cigarettes.........shes not......
so, i'm thinking its time to sage and salt my house...........i do have cats and they arent bothered by a thing, i've sure been watching their behavior....i know its not a family member either no one smoked so i think i got a hanger on-er...maybe...time to show them the light and send them on their way i'm thinking...lol

·
Registered
410 Posts
Yikes! That would freak me out! Your hubs isn't faking you out is he? Love everyone, trust no one! ha! Sage & salt can only bring positive vibes right?

·
Registered
1,511 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Omg no. He so spooky hed never have the nerve to prank me. Id get him back so bad. Lol. Im not into this i poo poo it. But. Im smelling it.

·
Kitchen/Green Witch
6,600 Posts
Meh, if they aren't hurting or scaring anyone, why give 'em the boot? Lol, my family has dealt with ghosties before. They become part of the family! Although, the smoke smell would really bother me, so I would have to give them a stern talking to about that bad habit...quit smoking in my house or leave! ;)

F

·
0 Posts
Would be better if it was a perfume smell...but cigars/cigs...blech!

·
The Undead Diva
549 Posts
If the antiques have any heat source (air vent, sunlight, etc) hitting them, they could be releasing the smell that way. Try using a hair dryer on a warm setting and just warm the surface of the wood and see if you get that smoke smell. It's actually more common than you think considering most antiques sat through years of people smoking in their homes, work, etc.

·
Registered
708 Posts
If the antiques have any heat source (air vent, sunlight, etc) hitting them, they could be releasing the smell that way. Try using a hair dryer on a warm setting and just warm the surface of the wood and see if you get that smoke smell. It's actually more common than you think considering most antiques sat through years of people smoking in their homes, work, etc.
Was thinking this as well.

·
Registered
273 Posts
I was just going to suggest this. Phantom Smells are usually just embedded deep in wood, fabric, etc. and come out with any warmth. Report back and let us know.

·
Registered
159 Posts
i am a vintage camera collector (500+ cameras ) and believe me... those that were stored in smoke-filled parlors for years and years release that stench non stop.

this could indeed be your issue.
the cure? bubble wrap and fabric softener sheets.

line the item with fabric softener sheets, wrap in bubble wrap. leave it alone for 6-10 days. (a few weeks if you can)
unwrap and hope the fabric softener sheets have done their job. :D

·
Registered
1,511 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Well i thought of that too. I air out beore i bring it in. Sniffed everything and cant find that smell. Just old furniture odor. Iol. I will have to have a talk with the cats

·
Registered
142 Posts
Bought out an estate recently and kept 5 of the pieces of early 1900s fumed oak. None were apolstered pieces. Had the same problem you describe and isolated the offending pieces (turned out to be two, a desk and matching chair) by tarping them with a plastic drop cloth, one at a time, overnight. Made them as airtight as i could and in the morning it was very easy to figure out which ones had been out gassing. Im sure i could have done something to reduce the odor but just decided to sell them before i became too attached :). I mentioned the smell in the Craigslist ad but still got about 30 calls and they sold same day.

·
Human Candy Shovel
1,107 Posts
Years ago, there was an episode of Ghosthunters that dealt with this while they were investigating the Presidio in San Francisco. Specifically, the odors get trapped in the fibers of plant material, particularly fabrics and wood. When exposed to heating of any sort, the odor causing materials revaporize and get released, causing the phantom smell.

You can figure out specifically which items in your house are the source by waiting for a cold day, keeping the house chilly that day, and heating up individual items with a hair dryer.

And as far as cigarette smells are concerned, you can expect pretty much anything made before 1940 to release that phantom odor.

·
Registered
46 Posts
we just bought an old trunk , the former owner was a smoker. We've blasted it with every cleaner you can think of, and it STILL smell like a smoker when it get hot in there. You can't smell it when it cool, just when it warms up. :p Good think it's a work truck, and not the main transport. ;)

1 - 20 of 21 Posts