Halloween Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When I first started making my own personalized graveyard props I got the idea to make a Mausoleum. Not knowing what I was doing a few years back everything was trial and error. With this first one I practically did everything wrong. I made it out of 1/2 inch foam and no wooden frame so the roof and walls sagged. It was only 5 feet tall thinking if I put it in the back it won't look that small (it did). Originally, I also only made Half of it with a full front cause the way our front lawn is those would be the only sides you would see but that was not the case. To top it off I used styrofoam glue from a craft store, so no big surprise when it fell apart after a rainy October. The next year I added the second half doubling down on it still making the same mistakes, and again it fell apart. It has since sat in the garage in pieces.

Attachments

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
The second Mausoleum I made was a complete change from the first. I used 2" and 1" foam, made it life size, added a wooden frame, used liquid nails thoroughly, and painted it much better. I also this time made it so it can be dismantled into 5 pieces that can compact nicely for storage.

Attachments

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I also tried my hand at faux stained glass for this one and it came out pretty nice. For the door I used a crackle glaze on the green paint that I put over the brown paint underneath to age it and used paint stirrers I cut and shaped for the hinge straps. In the future I plan or repaint (as im not that happy with it) and possibly carve off the edges of the blocks to give more depth.

Attachments

Reactions: DeadED

·
Registered
461 Posts
Wow! This shows the products of a 2nd attempt of many lessons learned prefectly. Not sure you need to repaint it but prehaps just weather it up some. But it looks great thanks for sharing.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Nice job on version 2.0! I think the best way to learn is to make something, find the flaws and the what worked and use that on the next build. Fantastic job on the stained glass!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts