Halloween Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,499 Posts
@Meadow made that moon this year, not sure if she made the trees. I believe they made the moon using PVC for the outer ring. They could maybe give instructions on how they put their moon together.

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
@Meadow made that moon this year, not sure if she made the trees. I believe they made the moon using PVC for the outer ring. They could maybe give instructions on how they put their moon together.
We did make the moon. The tutorial was on the blog already posted by @ghostlland820. I will tell you if you are making the moon be really careful as you glue the tapered edges. It can turn into an egg really fast.

@HauntedWyo you are correct! We did not make the tree backdrop cause we have a ton of artificial Christmas trees which people were throwing away. Free trees! They are much easier to work with, easier to store in a tree bag, and can be used at Christmas. My preference anyways. Happy moon building!

·
Registered
921 Posts
I posted the link to Stolloween's tutorial, but just realized that had already been done. :) Depending on just how large you want your moon, you could go smaller with a hula-hoop from the Dollar Tree and be pretty much guaranteed your circle loop for the moon will stay that shape.

·
Registered
212 Posts
I found this photo and wondering how to create the trees and moon. You think the trees are made from thin plywood? What about moon?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
That would be Scott Stoll's (Stolloween) creation from a few years back. You can check his website www.stolloween.com for a tutorial. If you can't find one just email him and ask. He is very receptive about answering questions via email. Almost all of his work is mache but the trees and fence look like cut-outs. If I had to create this scene I would use cardboard coated in sealant. You can order thicker sheets (1/4", 1/2" or thicker) online to make it more durable. The reason I would use cardboard instead of wood is that it's easier to cut so you can get a more organic/realistic appearance for the trees. You could apply mache over the moon to give it a more realistic "potted" texture and to make it more three-dimensional. Or you could try making the moon out of a translucent material like clear painters tarp and then backlighting it so that it glows.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
If I had to create this scene I would use cardboard coated in sealant. You can order thicker sheets (1/4", 1/2" or thicker) online to make it more durable. The reason I would use cardboard instead of wood is that it's easier to cut so you can get a more organic/realistic appearance for the trees.
I didn't even know one could buy cardboard panels. So much the better....I suppose I could join them together with small screws so I could later disassemble the tree. What sort of sealant would you use, and do you think it could truly prevent rain from penetrating the cardboard?

·
Registered
212 Posts
I didn't even know one could buy cardboard panels. So much the better....I suppose I could join them together with small screws so I could later disassemble the tree. What sort of sealant would you use, and do you think it could truly prevent rain from penetrating the cardboard?
Keep in mind you are trying to make these props water “resistant” not waterproof as nothing can truly make them waterproof. With that said take a few sample pieces and try different sealants (see below). Then use a spray bottle to soak them with water or even leave them outside on a rainy day. Check to see what sealant worked best.

Sealants:
  • Elmer’s glue all (not school glue) / water. Mix 50/50 or 60/40 for thicker mixture. Paint a thin coat on so it doesn’t warp the cardboard. Let dry and repeat a second time. Apply a final third coat that can be a bit thicker. Then paint with latex and/or acrylic paints. (method used by Pumpkinrot)
  • Matte finish, water based (not oil) Polyurethane sealer (for wood). Dozens of companies make it so pick one you like. (method used by Stolloween)

·
Registered
12 Posts
I found this photo and wondering how to create the trees and moon. You think the trees are made from thin plywood? What about moon?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I don't know about the trees but for the moon you can take 1 or 2 pool noodles ( or a large hula hoop) depending on how big you want it and form a circle, then connect the ends with a 4 inch piece of dowel and hot glue Then you stretch a muslin type fabric around noodles taut and gĺue, then very very lightly use a light gray spray paint to give the moon details. Practice on the fabric scraps to get a feel for it, keep a good distance away, less is more in this case. Then light with small diffused spot.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts