Halloween Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,499 Posts
@Meadow made that moon this year, not sure if she made the trees. I believe they made the moon using PVC for the outer ring. They could maybe give instructions on how they put their moon together.

·
Registered
1,226 Posts
@Meadow made that moon this year, not sure if she made the trees. I believe they made the moon using PVC for the outer ring. They could maybe give instructions on how they put their moon together.
We did make the moon. The tutorial was on the blog already posted by @ghostlland820. I will tell you if you are making the moon be really careful as you glue the tapered edges. It can turn into an egg really fast.

@HauntedWyo you are correct! We did not make the tree backdrop cause we have a ton of artificial Christmas trees which people were throwing away. Free trees! They are much easier to work with, easier to store in a tree bag, and can be used at Christmas. My preference anyways. Happy moon building!

·
Registered
899 Posts
I posted the link to Stolloween's tutorial, but just realized that had already been done. :) Depending on just how large you want your moon, you could go smaller with a hula-hoop from the Dollar Tree and be pretty much guaranteed your circle loop for the moon will stay that shape.

·
Registered
201 Posts
I found this photo and wondering how to create the trees and moon. You think the trees are made from thin plywood? What about moon?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
That would be Scott Stoll's (Stolloween) creation from a few years back. You can check his website www.stolloween.com for a tutorial. If you can't find one just email him and ask. He is very receptive about answering questions via email. Almost all of his work is mache but the trees and fence look like cut-outs. If I had to create this scene I would use cardboard coated in sealant. You can order thicker sheets (1/4", 1/2" or thicker) online to make it more durable. The reason I would use cardboard instead of wood is that it's easier to cut so you can get a more organic/realistic appearance for the trees. You could apply mache over the moon to give it a more realistic "potted" texture and to make it more three-dimensional. Or you could try making the moon out of a translucent material like clear painters tarp and then backlighting it so that it glows.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts