Halloween Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What can be done to take a semi-cheap mask that's flat and dull looking and make it look more real or fresh?

Thanks in advance for any help

Scarab

·
The Big Kahuna of Fright
4,328 Posts
One of my faves. You get a mask, it's mass produced, one of thousands pumped out of a Hong Kong sweatshop. But it looks good, otherwise you wouldn't have bothered. But you can make it unique. Make it YOURS. Embelish it. How? Two words; Dry Brushing.
Get some dollar store bottles of acrylic paint, some cheap brushes & let your imagination do the rest...

·
Registered
831 Posts
yup dry brushing. Typically I paint them a solid color (black) then dry brush on all the details. (paint with a brush you've removed the vast majority of paint from) Products like gel flesh or gel blood can be heated in hot water, applied to the mask and when dry, it will remain wet looking for a number of years.

·
Registered
628 Posts
Mix a little liquid latex with your acrylic paint to make it more durable. With the exception of very high end masks I almost always repaint or modify my masks. When they are done with an airbrush hour after hour on an assembly line they tend to be sloppy in the detail department.
And I agree with the drybrush comments. You don't need the latex for that process.

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
What is "dry brushing"???

Is that just painting with a brush dipping it into a bottle of acrylic paint instead of spray paint or airbrush? Not familiar with that term.

Also, to be clear, I'm NOT wearing this mask. I mounted it to a foam head.

What about just spraying the mask with a gloss clear coat to make the colors that are there "pop" more?

Any and all information, ideas and recommendations appreciated!

Scarab

·
Registered
440 Posts
I also like adding a high gloss acrylic as a final touch to spots on a mask. It can make things look wet, goopy, covered in drool....etc

·
Registered
64 Posts
What is "dry brushing"???
From a wargaming point of view, it's dipping your brush in paint, then wiping most of it off on tissue so that very little remains on the brush. You then lightly brush against the model/object you're painting so only the edges pick up some of the paint.

·
Registered
901 Posts
A nice tutorial on dry brushing a mask can be found at https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=27UivhDrDgE . I love YouTube because if you're curious about almost anything to do with haunting, there is someone out there who wants to show you just how they did it. Plug in "dry brushing Halloween props", into YouTube's search engine and you've got some fun stuff to look at when the TV just doesn't have anything interesting going on. :)

·
Registered
26 Posts
I've improved some of the disgusting looking rubber over the head masks by adding stuff bought from Dollar Tree.

You can pick up lots of stuff there for a buck each.

I've used:

the kids long hair mounted to head clips that comes in all colors
fake bugs
fake rat/snake/spider parts
black roses
other costume accessories

1 - 11 of 11 Posts