Halloween Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I started home haunts, in 1978. Not much to it. I learned many techniques from volunteering my time with Jaycees styled haunts in the 70s and 80s. Halloween has been something I will never grow out of.

I remember back then prop creativity was kind of difficult than what it is now. Using the Old front end of an old car and hooking up the horn and lights while attached to a pallet jack offered a lot of scares back then. There was one haunt I loved and gave much of my time to. It was called, "The Hills of Horror" there was such attractions as the tilt house, which made it difficult for visitors to distance themselves from the actors. There was many techniques used back then, that is kind of a lost art compared to the availability of haunt hardware out there now.

My very first scare was using a full face latex skull mask stuffed with newspaper, with a key ring attached to the top of the head which glided down from one of the trees in the yard to exactly the point where TOTs would wait for their candy. Fishing line ran from the tree to the porch. That is all there was to it. My parents needless to say had more candy left over from TOTs running from the event.

Later making homemade dry ice fog machines which is difficult outdoors but was done with 5 trashcans and 200 pounds of dry ice. Not to mention the heating elements it took to keep the water hot. each had a bathroom exhaust fan attached to the lid with dryer hoses. it actually worked well since it took 5 of them to keep fog on the ground.

Moving forward, I am building some really interesting props that are going with my next year's theme "Sleepy Hollow" the theme wouldn't complete without the "headless horseman" which will be fully animated. it is being built already. I don't wait for a specific time to start next years projects. I tend to start next years while finish the current year display.

I look forward to sharing information with all of you.

·
Prince of Arkham Asylum
2,528 Posts
Wow! Sounds like we'll have much more to learn from you than you will from us, but that's fine by us. :D Welcome to our little asylum. :p

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hey thanks, I definitely love this forum. it is about time there is something to keep the mind busy with what can I come with next.

I appreciate the welcome, happy haunting to all of you. Can't wait to start putting stuff out. Too bad there is not an all year round place you can keep your stuff up year round :D

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks, I hope to have some really kewl stuff to show. I am holding back on one until I can verify it will work. Once, verified this is going to be the ultimate hopefully.

·
Hauntingly Addicting
6,068 Posts
Welcome darling glad you found your way here:)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts