Halloween Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
429 Posts
Shame your not in the UK, just posted about a place with 20,000 mannquins and parts. They are also ebaying damaged/incomplete one for next to nothing -pallet loads for under £10/$15

·
Registered
1,392 Posts
Tough to find a mannequin for much under $180 shipped. I just look on craigslist as they come up for sale quite a bit. I just got four nice fiberglass males for $75. I was just looking for one, but I'm finding other figures to make with the other three. :)

·
Registered
1,392 Posts
Most of the ebay mannequins that are listed for $89 or so have shipping charges of $79 or so. That's why they are priced at $89. :)

I've learned to only buy fiberglass mannequins, especially if you're going to be putting any weight on them. I used a vinyl mannequin for a figure of mine that has wings, and the weight of the wings caused his ankles to fail and he kept falling over backwards.

Also, if you can find out ahead of time, there are two different types of mannequin arms. One uses a flat hanger for the arms that fit into a square opening and slot on the body. These arms are not positionable unless you do a lot of modification to them. The other type use a knob that fits into a round opening in the body and slides down. The round connectors have a silicone-type "brake" in the arm that allows you to move the arm up and down. I always get the mannequins with the round openings in the shoulders whenever possible so I can move the arms.

·
The guru is IN
1,240 Posts
Tough to find a mannequin for much under $180 shipped. I just look on craigslist as they come up for sale quite a bit. I just got four nice fiberglass males for $75. I was just looking for one, but I'm finding other figures to make with the other three. :)
Looking on craigslist for mannequins isn't a very good idea

·
Registered
152 Posts
I just found a basic plastic mannequin for $59 and flat rate shipping of $37.25 at amt-mannequins.com. I think I'll be getting one or two

·
Registered
2,788 Posts
I've got a few fiberglass mannequins that are pretty great. Compared to most static props that cost a similar amount, they're more durable, better proportioned, and much more versatile.
Plastic ones usually aren't bad for the price, either. Filling them with Great stuff (filling the pieces separately means you can still disassemble for storage) gives them a lot more durability. If you wanted to add weight and strength, you could even pour concrete in the legs. I haven't needed to go that far.

·
Registered
139 Posts
I got lucky at a Nordstrom's :)
They were getting rid of the older style mannequins. It never hurts to ask, but it IS embarrassing AND you will feel funny with all those naked body parts in the back of your van or SUV. Trust me.
Oh...and you'll need more storage though once you get a few. Here are my girls waiting for this weekend, when I finally let them out for a bit.
IMG_mannequins.jpg

1 - 12 of 12 Posts