Halloween Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I originally posted under wanted, looking for mannequin legs and or arms. Free would have been ideal but I think I found a great solution. The best price I found for a set of mannequin legs on ebay was for $20 a pair, not bad. This is what I plan on making for my Halloween party this year.

DSC02563-225x300.jpg

So instead of buying mannequin legs I found a cheap way to cast body parts

http://www.art-rageous.net/PackingTapeSculpture.html

Once I create the cast I'm going to fill it with foam, paper mache the outside, paint and add stockings. Unless anyone has a better or different approach? I assume I should put some planter foam on the inside of the pot, any ideas on how to attach the legs? Do you think they will stay in the pot with out having to glue them or secure them some how?

·
bone collector
3,167 Posts
I'm thinking if you use the packing tape as a cast, you should be able to fill it with expanding foam, let that cure well, cut away the
tape. The foam sands & carves up well, and it's also very paintable. Maybe try one? As for anchoring, I would make a void up the middle
of the foam leg/arm, refill with foam & add a heavy duty coat hanger. That expanding foam is excellent as 'glue'.
The paper mache method should work too~would look vintage & cool with old newspapers or anything printed in French.
Now you've given ME some ideas for next year :D Thank YOU!

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I didn't think to pull the tape away. Sounds awesome. I'll just do that and carve and paint the foam. I thought for some reason I'd have to leave the tape lol. Great coat hanger idea! That should work really well thank you! I'll post a picture soon, I already made a cast and added the expanding foam. Just waiting for it to dry.

·
bone collector
3,167 Posts
If the tape doesn't come off clean away from the foam, you will have to somehow coat the inside of the leg with
a release agent; vaseline(I use it to make foam skulls from plastic molds) or Pam cooking spray might work too. Hopefully, Plan A will work for you~keeping my fingers crossed!
The other good thing about expanding foam, is that if you want to use spray paint it will not melt the foam like the insulation foam we all use to make tombstones.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Okay cool thanks! Do you know how long the foam takes to cure? I noticed the top that is in contact with the air is hard but the inside is still mush. some of it collapsed.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Okay cool thanks! Do you know how long the foam takes to cure? I noticed the top that is in contact with the air is hard but the inside is still mush. some of it collapsed.
Okay so it helps if i read the can lol. 8 hours to cure. I guess I'll just have to add more where it collapsed?

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
So epic fail on the first try. It's complete mush. I found a tutorial online which says I should only use the great stuff 2-3 inches at a time, spray with water and let it dry. I'm also going to use petroleum jelly on the inside. Here we go round two.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts