Halloween Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
14,232 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Since many of our halloween props and lighting decor make use of extension cords, I saw this video I thought worth sharing that illustrates how to manage your extension cords for ease of use and to keep them in good condition. I've always been frustrated with mine especially when you're using a 50- or 100-foot cord. Hated the tangles and the difficulty in trying to make sense of the bunch of intertwining cord. Problem solved!

·
Registered
3,710 Posts
That's a great technique but the video was obviously shot in warm weather. It's not typically warm for a lot of us at Halloween and unless you use high end cords, they tend to get unruly when the temperature dips.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Great technique, but as J-Man noted temps. Last year was great, but 2015 was freezing and my cords were not about to be tamed so easily. After tear down and a warm up inside they became a bit better. I added quite a bit of lighting in 2016 so was glad for the warmer temps. But it was actually a little too warm as it just don't feel like Halloween if I am sweating most of the day.
That's a great technique but the video was obviously shot in warm weather. It's not typically warm for a lot of us at Halloween and unless you use high end cords, they tend to get unruly when the temperature dips.

·
Registered
720 Posts
I would recommend the use of these styles of cable wheels from Home Depot:

http://www.homedepot.com/p/HDX-150-ft-16-3-Cord-Storage-Reel-HD-130PDQ/205038360

But if you wanna get serious, you can order up these spools that stack inside a 5 gallon bucket:

https://www.cableorganizer.com/cable-cord-reels/

You should even spool up all your short lamp cords all on one spool as well.

I learned to use spools for all the microphone cords for my band, just connecting em one after another, then spooling them all up. Never have to worry about tangling. Just unroll as I walk from point A to B. Very easy to clean up as well.

·
Registered
231 Posts
I took an old garden hose reel and attached it to the ceiling of my garage.Plug the cords end to end and just pull them out the door and down the driveway until you get the length you need. When finished just throw them in the driveway and crank em up.
101_1483.jpg

·
Registered
1,911 Posts
These are some raw wires I have hanging in my garage. This method is really easy and space-saving. Here I've tied an S-hook to strong tie-line attached to a sliding wall bracket. It's super easy to find the cable I need and to simply hook a bundle back to the tie line. The S-hooks that are hanging down are on lines ready for use. The tie lines are long enough to never have to fight to grab any cable. Even buried cables can be pulled out with ease.

Raw wire.jpg

1 - 10 of 10 Posts