Halloween Forum banner

21 - 32 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Last year was my first year in the new house, so I built a fence for it. I used 1x3s for the boards and made it in 4 foot sections. 1/2" PVC for the spindles, and 3" PVC cut into 1" sections for aesthetics. Use 3/8" rebar 24" long. Pound into the ground, 2 rebar for each 4 foot fence section. Slide the PVC over the rebar and boom. You've got a fence that won't fall over, and can withstand some serious winds. Also with this method, you don't see what's holding it up. Took some time and some power tools, but it's well worth the effort and people love it. 20181008_213002.jpg Here is an under construction photo. 20170919_205449.jpg

·
Registered
16 Posts
I had the same problem last year, people wanted to get up close to the giant spider for selfies. This year I built a modified version of another poster's pvc finial fence with chain. I used 1 1/2 pvc, cut to 3 foot lengths, spray painted them black. I bought 2 sets of bag of skulls from orientaltrading.com , 12 skulls per set, drilled a hole in the bottom of the skull and used great stuff foam to secure the skulls to the pvc as a finial. Bought 125 feet of black plastic chain from amazon and attached it with zip ties to the pvc pipe.

Instead of using rebar, which I found to be pretty expensive to secure the posts in my yard, I used 1" pvc, cut into 2 foot sections with a 45 degree angle. Pound them into the ground, then slide the posts over it. More secure than rebar and alot cheaper.

Sorry about the long winded reply, but this year, not one person even tried to go into the yard. A complete success for less than $125 and it takes little room in my attic once broken down.

halloween.jpg

·
Registered
48 Posts
I've never really had a big problem with people walking through the yard. It is only open from the sides ,and I do use barrier tape down the sides. For years I have built in a photo area free of electric cords, etc. Right now there is a huge sign welcoming you to the Nightmare on Forest Ave (complete with flickering light). There is a park bench in front of it with skeletal Hugh Hefner and Marilyn Monroe. Who doesn't want their picture taken with Marilyn Monroe?

·
Registered
68 Posts
After having people take shortcuts across the yard, I've used:
- 2ft long, 3/8" rebar pounded a foot into the ground, about 10 ft apart along the area that I'm protecting.
- Found vinyl balusters at a ReStore, stuffed the bottom of them with foam pipe insulation and pushed them over the rebar. You can use PVC pipe too. I left them white to be visible.
- Used the cheapest caution tape I could find and ran it from post to post at the top. You could also add a second layer half-way down...
I'm also outside for the evening, and have no problem telling people to stay on the driveway, although this seems to do the trick.

·
Registered
13 Posts
We use 3/4" gray electricians pvc pipe. and the black plastic chain. Cut a 10' stick into 3 equal pieces and 45 the bottom.Then dust them with a flat black spray paint. With them being gray already they dont have to be fully coated and gives them another color. I Drive the pvc pipe down into the ground, no rebar stakes or other pieces needed to hold them up. Then on top I cut a notch for the chain to slide down into and the links on both sides lock it into place. Has worked great for 5 yrs.

·
They call me HeebieJeebie
2,058 Posts
I got 4 rolls of garden fencing from Lowe's. It's basically a 2 foot tall, 15 foot long roll of picket fencing. It comes in white or natural wood. A couple pieces of rebar & some zipties and the problem areas of my cemetery are effectively blocked. I think it looks pretty cool and doesn't block the view from the road, either.

Attachments

·
Registered
647 Posts
I got 4 rolls of garden fencing from Lowe's. It's basically a 2 foot tall, 15 foot long roll of picket fencing. It comes in white or natural wood. A couple pieces of rebar & some zipties and the problem areas of my cemetery are effectively blocked. I think it looks pretty cool and doesn't block the view from the road, either.
I had been doing the same thing. We got the natural wood ones and gave them some random spritzes of black spray paint to give them a more distressed appearance. I think next year we are going to completely change over to a different fence that takes up less storage space. I think this was the thread I found it on. https://www.halloweenforum.com/tutorials-and-step-by-step/137848-quick-cheap-halloween-fence.html

Basically I'm using a 3 ft high piece of 1 inch pvc set over a piece of rebar topped with a pvc T, painted black. Then I used the black plastic chain Lowes sells for 79¢ a foot. There's a photo further down in that thread, which I posted here, where someone built their own. Only they are using a cross tee instead of a tee. I had done part of my yard like this and really liked the look.

225333d1413941963-quick-cheap-halloween-fence-img_3275.jpg

·
Registered
764 Posts
There is nothing more annoying then people running through your yard tripping on stuff, breaking stuff and knocking
props over, that happened to me a few years ago so after that nightmare I put up fencing and there is no way anyone can
get into my yard....... only up the walkway to us then back out the same way.

·
Prince of Arkham Asylum
2,613 Posts
If you're looking for economical and space efficient, fake fence posts and chain or rope is the way to go, but it's not going to keep people out who are dedicated to get that perfect selfie. Eventually you'll need to go with a fence of some sort. I built one that completely encloses the front yard, and leaves a clear path to the front door...

·
Super Moderator
5,844 Posts
Many fences over the years...

Pallets and 2X4s

Rope/Torch combo

But one of the most effecting things I've done didn't involve a fence (walkthrough so maybe not as relatable to a display), was a boardwalk.

21 - 32 of 32 Posts